Tip MY Hat TO Ovechkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
He was booed all night last night, booed when he got his individual awards, BUT, at the end of last night, when the PA announcer said to line up for the shaking of the hands, half of the Russian's left the ice, Ovechkin gathered who was left and led his teamates ( In his street clothes ) to shake hands with the Canadians. And for that we all gave him an ovation. Good for you Ovechkin, I applaud you

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Bennysflyers16 said:
He was booed all night last night, booed when he got his individual awards, BUT, at the end of last night, when the PA announcer said to line up for the shaking of the hands, half of the Russian's left the ice, Ovechkin gathered who was left and led his teamates ( In his street clothes ) to shake hands with the Canadians. And for that we all gave him an ovation. Good for you Ovechkin, I applaud you

well i guess he had to safe face after realizing that his antic against the US made him a target all night against Canada, it own't be a lsice either in the NHL...taunting has no place in hockey, works well in football though!

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Teezax said:
well i guess he had to safe face after realizing that his antic against the US made him a target all night against Canada, it own't be a lsice either in the NHL...taunting has no place in hockey, works well in football though!

Do you really think it was the tauting that made Sutter ask his players to go physical on the Russians? Or maybe it's that Canada stood for their american brothers? Tauting or not the game plan would have been identical, so would have been the outcome...

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
Bennysflyers16 said:

random question, but any idea if radulov was one of the ones who stayed and shook hands??

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
crossxcheck said:
random question, but any idea if radulov was one of the ones who stayed and shook hands??

I could not tell you, as by that time I was a little fuzzy. About 5-6 guys left the ice right away.

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
Bennysflyers16 said:
I could not tell you, as by that time I was a little fuzzy. About 5-6 guys left the ice right away.

ok, thanks anyways. I'm going to leave it alone because I don't want to start more nation wars and the 2005 WJC's are done deal.

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I remember seeing a number of players come back out of the locker room on to the ice to shake hands...so hopefully the rest of the players came back out and that was that...

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Thats good to hear. IMO Pat O' Sullivan was the real villain of that game and riled the Russains up. Shirokov aside, the Russains had no problems with any of the other teams. Scouts always rave about the character of Malkin and AO. For them to act like that I would think that they were provoked. Anyway as a Pens fan I'm sure that I'll grow to hate AO but I'll always respect him.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
The whole after tournament must've been very hard for the Russians. The ones(most of them, judging by the TV)that stayed out on the ice were there 15 entire minutes(I checked my VCR timer), through the Canadian celebration, the anthem, the cup presentation, the medals and the handshake. 15 minutes is a long time for guys who had just lost in a devastating fashion, and probably didn't need the added humiliation of people watching them sobbing from coast to coast.

Bouchard

Jul 10, 2004
Cole Harbour, NS
Ovechkin is going to have to get used to being a target out on the ice. The Canadians banged him around all game, and rightfully so. If he is going to be a star in the NHL he needs to be able to handle the abuse that goes along with it. Or convince management to bring in Peter Worrell ;)

Wolfpack

Jul 9, 2004
When this tournament began I really wanted Canada to face the US in the final in order to exact vengence for last years loss. As the tournament progressed and it became clear that the US team was much weaker than last years and that Russia would probably be the better team, I began to anticipate a Canada - Russia battle.

After seeing the way Russia played against the US with the taunting and excessive celebration I started hoping that Canada would really pound Russia.

I came back to reality when I watched the heartache and tears on many of the Russian kids' faces after they were dominated by Canada. They didn't choke. They simply lost to a better team. I'll admit I had a hate-on for AO after his antics and comments, but seeing him with tears in his eyes after the game reminded me that these are just kids. What 18 year old kid doesn't have an attitude to overcome?

Bottom line... we were all blessed with sseeing some great hockey over the past two weeks. Let's enjoy the positive memories.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Legolas said:
I remember seeing a number of players come back out of the locker room on to the ice to shake hands...so hopefully the rest of the players came back out and that was that...

Yeah, hope so too. What Chris Chelios did back in WCH2004 semifinals was disgracefull.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
#66 said:
Thats good to hear. IMO Pat O' Sullivan was the real villain of that game and riled the Russains up. Shirokov aside, the Russains had no problems with any of the other teams. Scouts always rave about the character of Malkin and AO. For them to act like that I would think that they were provoked. Anyway as a Pens fan I'm sure that I'll grow to hate AO but I'll always respect him.

That's what I've been saying all along.. The Russian team have never taunted anyone before, and they've scored plenty of goals at the tournament.. scouts never said a bad word about any of these guys' attittudes as well..

I don't think it was just O'Sullivan though.. but who cares, it's over now.. good luck to Ovechkin and Malkin in the NHL, they didn't score last night, but they are still amazing players.. And when they both cried after the final whistle, I really felt for them.. it shows that they were playing for the name on the front, and not on the back despite what some people were saying.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
trahans99 said:
What did Chelios do? I already forget :dunno:

He refused to shake hands with team Finland after the game. I lost much of my respect for him right there.

Macman

May 15, 2004
MOGiLNY said:
That's what I've been saying all along.. The Russian team have never taunted anyone before, and they've scored plenty of goals at the tournament.

Wrong. Shirikov, Radulov, Khudobin and one other shooshed the crowd and did the ear-cupping thing recently against the QJMHL.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Slick Nick said:
Do you really think it was the tauting that made Sutter ask his players to go physical on the Russians? Or maybe it's that Canada stood for their american brothers? Tauting or not the game plan would have been identical, so would have been the outcome...
Bingo. Even if Ovechkin was a class act throughout the tournament, Canada would have still given him the body all night because that was the plan to contain him.

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Hanging around on the ice is part of the process for better or for worse...it's a part of hockey (and not duplicated in any other sport that I am aware of) where you shake hands after the final game of a series or tournament...it's a very admirable practice and while it is hard for the players to hang around and watch another team celebrate, hopefully it builds character...I think that the 12 Canadian players who were on last year's team and this year's team certainly didn't forget how they felt watching the USA go crazy last year.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
I also tip my hat to AO , in the papers he was quoted as congratulating the canadians and they deserved to win, as for my thoughts on the whole taunting issue i personally think it was blown out of proportion a bit, I have a feeling that there were a few catcalls from the fans directed to him and perhaps from players too...so can I see an 18 year old after scoring letting those fans know about it...sure... and as for his comments on glass.. heck im a canadian fan and said the same comments... i wasnt sure if glass was proven/tested,..and when faced with a good shot (in previous games) didnt come up big.

in short i dont think AO crimes were that big, however he needs to learn a few things... when youre in the public eye.. you cant do these things or else it will be used as ammunition against you and it will be perceived in a different light. and when you make comments about the opposition you better be 100% right... if you look at north american players when theyre interviewed.. they seem to bite their toungue and really teall u anything but what was asked (like politicians)..u can thell theyre coached about what to say and what not to (we need more brett hulls lol) .. point being AO needs to learn this too.... the Canada game was a humbling experience and hoped he learned from it, because truly he is a great talent and the game needs talent like that - just not the antics....... and in the end seing the tears in the kids eyes.. regarless if u felt there antics were bad and diving etc,,.. u still had to feel for them and remember theyre still kids!!!

Go Flames Go*

Taunting is awesome and it has its place, and just makes the rivalries that much more intense and better.

The best part about last night was watching Ovechkin and Malkin crying while the other Russians sat there on the net.

The funniest thing I saw was thoose CR players after there Bronze Medal passing around that plate looking confused like it was something to eat off of.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Go Flames Go said:
The best part about last night was watching Ovechkin and Malkin crying while the other Russians sat there on the net.

I thought the best part was the first 25 mins or so of game time, when it was still exciting. But whatever gets you through the night, I suppose...

Reilly311

Boucicaut said:
He refused to shake hands with team Finland after the game. I lost much of my respect for him right there.

He never shakes hands with people.

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
octopi said:
The whole after tournament must've been very hard for the Russians. The ones(most of them, judging by the TV)that stayed out on the ice were there 15 entire minutes(I checked my VCR timer), through the Canadian celebration, the anthem, the cup presentation, the medals and the handshake. 15 minutes is a long time for guys who had just lost in a devastating fashion, and probably didn't need the added humiliation of people watching them sobbing from coast to coast.

Too bad it was hard, let me guess it was easy for Canada all those years.

Give me a break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad