Tinordi or Pateryn?

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
If we see a callup for size and toughness on D, which of Tinordi/Pateryn better suits the role? Tinordi is 6'6" and Pateryn is 6'2" while they weigh about the same. Wasn't Pateryn pretty scrappy with Michigan U? Also he's two years older.

Asking because I have only seen these guys play a coupla games each with the Habs and the idea on the board is that Tinordi could add toughness, wondering if people more familiar with the two could provide some info and observations thanks!

Rscorpio

Epic Meal Time!
Feb 9, 2004
Santiago, Chile
If we see a callup for size and toughness on D, which of Tinordi/Pateryn better suits the role? Tinordi is 6'6" and Pateryn is 6'2" while they weigh about the same. Wasn't Pateryn pretty scrappy with Michigan U? Also he's two years older.

Asking because I have only seen these guys play a coupla games each with the Habs and the idea on the board is that Tinordi could add toughness, wondering if people more familiar with the two could provide some info and observations thanks!

They are both are big, but I think I will go with Tinordi right now...he's a better D

PS: neither of them are tough...

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Tinordi is a tough guy, and even if he's not the best fighter he's done it quite a few times and does not appear to have a problem standing up for his teamates, which is exactly what this team is lacking right now.

Also, he can kill penalties and move the puck out of his end quite well for a guy his size. He should be playing with Markov right now IMO and logging minutes. He's our d-man of the future along with Subban, why not play him now when we need his skill set.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

They'll possibly both get called up Monday, along with Beaulieu because Hamilton is done.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Tinordi, no question. I think he could thrive more in that role than Pateryn.

I'd personally like to see:

Markov-Tinordi (see if JT can handle it, if not, go to Plan B or C)
Gorges-Subban
Bouillon-Diaz

or

Markov-Diaz
Gorges-Subban
Bouillon-Tinordi

or if we go based on rumblings in practice:

Markov-Subban
Gorges-Diaz
Bouillon-Tinordi

:naughty:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Tinordi would be my guess (he's 6'5 as he said it himself). Pateryn was physical while at Michigan.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Tinordi, no question. I think he could thrive more in that role than Pateryn.

I'd personally like to see:

Markov-Tinordi (see if JT can handle it, if not, go to Plan B or C)
Gorges-Subban
Bouillon-Diaz

or

Markov-Diaz
Gorges-Subban
Bouillon-Tinordi

or if we go based on rumblings in practice:

Markov-Subban
Gorges-Diaz
Bouillon-Tinordi

:naughty:

Did the big man get called up or what is this rumblings at practice?

Also I've been on the put Markov and Subban together and play them 30 minutes a night train for a while now.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Did the big man get called up or what is this rumblings at practice?

Also I've been on the put Markov and Subban together and play them 30 minutes a night train for a while now.

Rumblings from practice refers to Gorges having been paired with Diaz...which leaves the top pair with Markov as the only logical spot for Subban to move up to.

Just my speculation based on the Gorges-Diaz tidbit.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Rumblings from practice refers to Gorges having been paired with Diaz...which leaves the top pair with Markov as the only logical spot for Subban to move up to.

Just my speculation based on the Gorges-Diaz tidbit.

Thank goodness, I'm sick of watching Markov struggle with an awful partner. He's been timid in his reads because of everything ending up in the back of the net, with Subban he'll be able to pinch and cut off those passes like he should be doing.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Tinordi. He fills a need on this team and hopefully he can fill out the 6'7 frame during the off-season.

Pateryn did well in the few games that he got, however I doubt he reaches any further than St-Denis status -- fringe NHL'er.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Might as well bring up all the "real prospects" after the weekend. But still find a way not to make it too much of a circus or distraction to the club. Maybe only a select few Black Aces practicing and traveling with the big squad. In which case, Tinordi would be my choice as a full-fledged Black Ace, while Pateryn stays back with the larger group entrenched at Brossard. Hopefully neither of them have to play. (i.e. full health for the Habs D the rest of the way, with a Diaz return).

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Both.

Tinordi inserts into the top6 right away and have Pateryn as the 7th to start.

By the time Diaz is back, evaluate who is working and who isn't.

Puck movers to stay:
Subban
Markov
Diaz

Stay at homes to stay:
Gorges

Spare Parts:
Drewiske
Boullion
Weber
Tinordi
Pateryn

Take two from 'Spare parts' and find the best balance. Create a new D alignment that will work. Forget seniority, find something that works and use it. This is what needs to be done when we are looking at the playoffs and the W is what is best, not the development of youngsters and/or giving guys a shot they may deserve (Harsh but true)

Markov-Subban -Markov gets his physical and mobile partner to retrieve pucks. Stacking the top pairing is a better option at this point than trying to balance weak partners with strong ones with our Injuries.

Gorges-Diaz -Gorges gets a quality partner to handle the puck moving, he also gets a much needed reduction in role and minutes. Diaz Plays in the top4 as he's the best we have.

Plan A:
Tinordi-Boullion -Boullion can move the puck, and has some toughness where Tinordi's sheer size must be used even if he's not filled out completely.

Plan B: (If Tinordi isn't ready and/or Boullion struggles)
Boullion/Drewiske-Pateryn -Pateryn is a much needed RH shot. Allows Boullion or Drewiske to play their natural side and IMO you could swap Boullion and Drewiske depending on the team. I thought Pateryn was very solid in his stint and could be the quiet rock on the 3rd pairing in the Playoffs. He's also 22 and may be ahead of Tinordi when it comes to maturity and handling pressure.

Plan C: (If Weber has played well and should be in the lineup)
Drewiske-Weber -Boullion-Weber would be too small, and Pateryn-Weber would be two RH shots, I don't think either can play the left side. Drewiske-Weber could work if Weber plays to his potential mobility, and puck moving wise. This would allow Drewiske to hang back a la Gorges.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
I would like to see one of these guys called up, we don't need more offensive dmen we need someone who plays defense. I like Tinordi he is huge, not afraid to play physical, will block shots and has a nice long reach which is something I love in a dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->