Tinner's Old Timey flashbacks Part IV: Random NHL games

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Vlad gave me this idea so yell at him for that.

Over the last 20+ years where I REALLY honed in on the NHL I have accumulated lots of useless and random memories. Seeing how I'm old and love to read up when others post specific details of random games I'm going to start this and throw out some odd games. Ofcourse if anyone else feels like doing the same here I'd be very interested in reading about it too. (I may be off on some exact details just so you know...I'm not going to google stuff to confirm)

Anyhow ...here is one:

January 1988...Sunday night...Caps at Chicago and the ESPN commercials saying "Washington vs Chicago and the electryifying Denis Savard"

Clement and Emrick on the call. Darren Pang vs Clint Malarchuk!!

Slow start....Caps strike on a Gartner goal. 1-0. I'm pumped!

Chicago strikes back later in the period. I believe Savard.

Third period...1-1...snoozefest for an 80s game vs an all out offensive team with no D like Chicago.

Caps strike! Gartner deflection! (I think I got the order right)

Ugliness ensues...

Stapleton to Thomas back for Thomas Score! akkk

Then...Savard scores again...3-2 hawks

Caps putting up alot of pressure and have the territorial edge pretty much all game.

5 minutes left. Dirk Graham comes in on a rush on a wide angle and throws a weak wrist shot that handcuffs Malarchuk. Clement "thats one Malarchuk really wants back"...Tinner is irate! Pull Malarchuk! Malarchuk sucks! ughhhhh...Chicago Organ giving me a headache

Lots of cursing ensues the next couple minutes and much anger.

Then...FINALLY the Caps break through with like under 3 minutes left. Ridley and Miller with insane work as usual. Puck bumped to Galley shot he scores!!

Galley scored few goals for us but they were all big it seemed!

I thought we may have a chance.

Before goal was announced we were putting on serious pressure and BAM! Hunter shelf shot on rebound!!! YES!!!!

Then...

About a minute left. Savard spin-O-ramas in our zone around EVERY player. Sheet you not! EVERY SINGLE GUY ON THE ICE!

Circles the zone, makes chumps out of both Stevens and Murphy, comes out front and spin-O-rama WHIPPING backhand shelf shot for the hat trick. Pulling my hair out!

Chicago organ BLARING. Hats everywhere. Me yelling.

Caps put on TONS of pressure at the end and almost tie it last second on great Dave Christian chance.

We ended up with 45 shots on goal but came up short. 5-4 Hawks.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I don't remember that one.

Does anyone remember our big comeback win in MSG when down big Dale ran over their goalie who had come out to the RW half wall to play a puck?

Touched off a melee and massive caps PP, and leading us to victory.

I believe in that game Sandstrom speared Corriveau in the groin - uncalled of course. Corriveau showed off the bruise after the game. Perhaps the only time he had reporters at his stall.

Failed scoring LW Ambitions.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I don't remember that one.

Does anyone remember our big comeback win in MSG when down big Dale ran over their goalie who had come out to the RW half wall to play a puck?

Touched off a melee and massive caps PP, and leading us to victory.

I believe in that game Sandstrom speared Corriveau in the groin - uncalled of course. Corriveau showed off the bruise after the game. Perhaps the only time he had reporters at his stall.

Failed scoring LW Ambitions.

I do recall that one! A bit fuzzy. I'm pretty sure it was a high scoring game...was it like 8-5? Maybe not

I remember one goal in particular. Crazy wacky bouncy puck that floated past a rattled VBB with either Adams or Gould swiping at it mid air.

But I believe it was VanBiesbrook that Hunter mauled.

Yvonne Corriveau!! hahaha...so sad. He was like our best prospect. Turble! Sandstrom was a doosh.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Two most memorable regular season games for me are 1988-89, where the Caps scored 2 goals in the last 50 seconds to tie the LA Kings, with Larry Murphy making a big play on the game-tying goal with 5 seconds left.

Seats were at the lower level of the old Cap Centre and somehow I ended up standing next to Abe Pollin at the end of the game, and I remember saying to him during the celebration how bizarre the Larry Murphy hate among Caps fans was. He agreed whole-heartedly - and then 6 weeks later Murphy and Gartner were traded to the North Stars for Dino and Rouse.
http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/poboxscore.cgi?H19880509

The other reg. season game that sticks out is the comeback against Ottawa, where the Caps scored 4 goals in the 3rd period to overcome a 5-2 deficit and win 6-5 - with Oates setting up both the tying and winning goals.
http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/poboxscore.cgi?H20001030

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
RH,

Yeah I'm kinda an idiot savant. Wow not bad. I was very close!

Marcel,

RE: Kings game

I recall that game...if we are talking about the same one. We were down 4-1 halfway through the 3rd. Me and my mom were watching. She was moaning about how we were going to lose and for me to stop watching. I kept sayin "MOM! One goal here...one goal there...and BAM!"

We scored 2 goals with the goalie pulled. Stevens the first and Dave Christian tied it on a fade away wrist shot with like 5 seconds left.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
We scored 2 goals with the goalie pulled. Stevens the first and Dave Christian tied it on a fade away wrist shot with like 5 seconds left.

That's the one. Not that anyone here needs reminding, but that game - where the Caps come back from a 4-2 deficit with 2 goals in the last 50 seconds - is a prime example of why you never leave a hockey game early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad