Timothy "Lillypad" Liljegren Discussion || UPD 1/14/2020 -- Recalled by the Leafs and returned

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Yes ideally both can thrive in the NHL though it's unlikely for any player to match or exceed Sandin's start in the NHL. Even if Lilj plays well from the get go just based on probability I doubt he'd be this good this early. But we're both here so I guess we'll see either way

The “start” doesn’t really matter.

I doubt Liljegren starts against a bottom feeder as bad as the 2020 Devils. What matters is how good both guys are going forward, and that both receive extended looks before the trade deadline.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Lil definitely cant replace Ceci. Not even close. Maybe Marincin but prob not. Hopefully hes just getting a taste and then back to the A. Hes not ready for the show maybe next year.

Bob Mac doesnt even watch Marlies hes speaking solely on stats. Hes wrong. If Lil outperformed Sandin hed be playing but hes not, because hes not ready. Get over it.
Well many of us watch the Marlies and you don't have a clue. So let's get off our high horse here. Lilly has been the best Marlies D and a decent bit better than Sandin. Sandin is just in a perfect storm with all the LHD injuries.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Possibly, It depends where he plays and how he's used. For me it's not only judged on points.

I believe 3 of the 4 points he's got so far are against Detroit and now New Jersey, also he's been insulated quite well behind two other pairs. He been good and well done to him, but he's not even scoring this pace down in the AHL.
yes I'm actually hoping they feed him to the wolves a bit instead of feeding him the easiest bottom pairing so that he is challenged and doesn't end up dermott'd. Oh, and obvs I wasn't referring to his production

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lil definitely cant replace Ceci. Not even close. Maybe Marincin but prob not. Hopefully hes just getting a taste and then back to the A. Hes not ready for the show maybe next year.

Bob Mac doesnt even watch Marlies hes speaking solely on stats. Hes wrong. If Lil outperformed Sandin hed be playing but hes not, because hes not ready. Get over it.
Your just biased.
Lilly easily replaces Ceci and Marincin. He's ready.
Bob is basing this on what he heard from people who watch the Marlies(not you who pretend they do)
He's not playing because he is blocked. Get over your hate.

Last edited:

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Your just biased.
Lilly easily replaces Ceci and Marincin. He's ready. Not sure Sandin is ready either. He wouldn't be playing if we were healthy.
Bob is basing this on what he heard from people who watch the Marlies(not you who pretend they do)
He's not playing because he is blocked. Get over your hate.
Sandin is definitely NHL ready. The only reason he wasn’t in the lineup this year was because of his contract.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Okay enough is enough. Talk about the topic at hand or get tossed out of the thread.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Leafs need to insert Lilly in the lineup. He has snarl to his game and is an elite skater and passer. I have watched about 10 Marlie games this season and he has been the best dman on the ice for either team in all of them. He is noticeable for his exits and speed. He is definitely ready for the NHL.

If we gave players in the past like Markov, Kaberle, Reilly and Dermott an opportunity to play at the NHL level when we did. Lilly is above all of those players in readiness right now.

Let him play with Sandin which would make the transition for both easier due to experience playing with each other. If it works which I believe it will. Trade Ceci for picks or prospects immediately to open cap space so we can acquire a true top pairing dman to pair with Reilly.

We need D and we have 2 home grown talents in Sandin and Lilly that have an opportunity to be special for many years with this young core. Let them play.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Pretty solid debut. He moved the puck well and made a nice 1st pass, which is pretty much what you want from a defenceman making his debut. He also wasn't slow at making his decisions which is good. Only 1 game, but from his play in the AHL, he should be ready to play sheltered 3rd pair minutes. He worked well with Sandin just like in the Marlies.

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
My view of Liljegren last night was that he played with composure, he showed offenseive skill, and he was ok in his own end. His outlet passes were good. The Leafs got burned on his pinch, but it is a learning process. He played 10 minutes. He will develop into a top 4 defenseman.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Immensely disappointed he didn't play more yesterday. Watching Ceci and Marincin on the ice with Lilly on the bench was infuriating

It seems like the coaching staff is being more cautious with Lilly than Sandin and im not really sure why... Even if they played him in Marincin's role he literally could not be worse

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It seems like the coaching staff is being more cautious with Lilly than Sandin and im not really sure why... Even if they played him in Marincin's role he literally could not be worse
I don't think thats the case. If a RHD got hurt instead of a LHD, Lilly would be put in Sandin's situation and Sandin would get Lilly's treatment. Bob said it was all circumstance.
Keefe gave Lilly a regular shift in the 3rd, and now that is probably because where the game was, but hopefully because Keefe had enough of Marincin.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Not exactly a debut to remember but that wasn't on him. Wish he would have gotten his feet wet early. We waited until the game was out of hand in the 3rd to give him a regular shot. Hope he gets another chance. I think Sandin is here to stay
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Barrie
Dermott-Ceci
I think is what we'll be looking at after the break. Would be nice to be able to move Ceci and his salary and give Lily more time in the NHL with Rielly out.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The team played poorly, but I thought Lily was solid in limited minutes, made a handful of really nice passes and was good in his own end. His ice time was very limited, but it was promising, I’d like to see him get a full game soon (with 6D, not 7).

Really the only mistake he made was the time he tried to rush the puck up over Chicago’s blue line, and turned it over, which ended up in a goal against. But that seemed like a safe rush on Lily’s part, there were 4 Leafs back, they just failed to stop the counter-rush. I only put a fairly small amount of blame on Lily there.

It is tough for Keefe to get him ice time though. Holl and Barrie have both been playing well, doesn’t make sense to healthy scratch either of them. Ceci is the one to bench, but I think we might try to deal him at the deadline, and healthy scratching him would reduce his value. If we want Lily in the lineup, almost have to just trade Ceci, and hope Lily is ready. Or just return him to the Marlies, and get him on the Leafs next year.

Last edited:

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I would love if after the break we had:

Muzzin - Barrie/Holl
Dermott - Holl/Barrie
Sandin - Liljegren

Rielly steps in when he comes back for whoever has been the worst dman and then next year we have a (mostly) young skilled dcore we can keep together for several years:

Rielly - Dermott/Muzzin
Muzzin/Dermott - Holl
Sandin - Liljegren

Yes improving our #1RHD should still be a priority, but Sandin - Liljegren provide much better offense AND d-zone transition than Marincin - Ceci. Its not a great defense, but most importantly it is one that does what we need (transition from dzone, smooth skating, and all guys can join in thr o-zone play as our systen requires while being able to get back as needed) while being cheap for the next 2 years.

Reactions: stickty111

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
The team played poorly, but I thought Lily was solid in limited minutes, made a handful of really nice passes and was good in his own end. His ice time was very limited, but it was promising, I’d like to see him get a full game soon (with 6D, not 7).

Really the only mistake he made was the time he tried to rush the puck up over Chicago’s blue line, and turned it over, which ended up in a goal against. But that seemed like a safe rush on Lily’s part, there were 4 Leafs back, they just failed to stop the counter-rush. I only put a fairly small amount of blame on Lily there.

It is tough for Keefe to get him ice time though. Holl and Barrie have both been playing well, doesn’t make sense to healthy scratch either of them. Ceci is the one to bench, but I think we might try to deal him at the deadline, and healthy scratching him would reduce his value. If we want Lily in the lineup, almost have to just trade Ceci, and hope Lily is ready. Or just return him to the Marlies, and get him on the Leafs next year.

Ceci's value cant be that high. If we bench him and his value drops from a 3rd/4th to a 5th/6th but we have a better defense then that is an easy choice IMO. It is not like we are gonna get a 1st for Ceci if we dont bench him...

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Ceci's value cant be that high. If we bench him and his value drops from a 3rd/4th to a 5th/6th but we have a better defense then that is an easy choice IMO. It is not like we are gonna get a 1st for Ceci if we dont bench him...
Yeah, that’s a good point - benching Ceci to give Lily a legit shot, and see if he improves our defence, is likely the right call. If he’s making too many rookie mistakes for the current season/playoffs, can always send him back to the Marlies and start playing Ceci again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->