Timothy "Lillypad" Liljegren Discussion || UPD 1/14/2020 -- Recalled by the Leafs and returned

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Guess they learned their lesson after the...he didn't have a great camp but... Ala Sparks.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Oh really? I could have sworn he was just a paper cutout cap cardboard.. Babs can keep him around to practice with the big boys or play him. Its great for him either way.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
As I said earlier either they should let him play or send him down, warming bench and watching does not help his development

I am glad he is on the roster but he should play rather then sitting out
Learning the competition can be done by observing it first. No harm there and he gets to practice against the likes of Matthews and Marner on a regular basis. That has value. I would rather see him paired with a vet instead of Holl ,but at least he ges a sense of what he is in for this way. He has not much else to learn as a Marlie.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
If they feel Liljegren is too good for the AHL or too developed for the AHL, which is much inferior to the NHL.. what benefit is it to have him playing AHL caliber games when he could be practicing with professionals and playing NHL games, even if not all the time?

The kids also been injury prone. Bringing him up slowly seems great for development

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'll be shocked if this isn't for cap purposes, absolutely shocked because he wasn't good in camp, at all

Either play him or send him down because sitting on the bench isn't good for anybody

Reactions: Ciao and TopCheese

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'll be shocked if this isn't for cap purposes, absolutely shocked because he wasn't good in camp, at all

Either play him or send him down because sitting on the bench isn't good for anybody

They had other options for just cap purposes. Why would they do that to him and Babs say he is excited that Lillypad is on the team? I don't care what the media people said, he is ready. To my eye at least, he was one of the best defenders we had out there in pre.

Reactions: Matthews34

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
They had other options for just cap purposes. Why would they do that to him and Babs say he is excited that Lillypad is on the team? I don't care what the media people said, he is ready. To my eye at least, he was one of the best defenders we had out there in pre.

I don't know what you were seeing but it doesn't sound anything like what I watched, he looked rushed, he couldn't move the puck out of his own zone and he struggled to win puck battles

I like the kid but he needs to be with the Marlies getting top pairing minutes imo

Reactions: Stamkos4life

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't know what you were seeing but it doesn't sound anything like what I watched, he looked rushed, he couldn't move the puck out of his own zone and he struggled to win puck battles

I like the kid but he needs to be with the Marlies getting top pairing minutes imo

I really didn't see that. He was pretty solid for the most part and I thought Sandin was more a liability defensively. Difference is overall Sandin is still better now but IMO he is the one who should get a half season or more on the Marlies to fix himself defensively.

Reactions: Matthews34

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Lol Lilly was bad. Hes on the team for cap reasons. Even he knows he didnt make the team. When will ppl give it up?

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I really didn't see that. He was pretty solid for the most part and I thought Sandin was more a liability defensively. Difference is overall Sandin is still better now but IMO he is the one who should get a half season or more on the Marlies to fix himself defensively.

Liljegren just wasn't possessing the game fast enough imo, he'd get the puck on his stick and struggle to make a tape to tape pass or turn the puck over which in turn would mean he was trapped inside his own zone fighting to get the puck back all the time

Sandin can be iffy defensively but he can push the puck up ice in a very efficient manner which is pretty astonishing for a guy his age

I don't think Liljegren is ready and would like to see him back on the Marlies ASAP, I'd have a look at Sandin and if he struggles I'd send him down to, there's nothing wrong with giving guys more development time

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I'd give Lily the Ottawa and Columbus games. The rest of the team is good enough to win those games.

After that we have Montreal, Tampa, St.Louis. Give him the two games as an extended tryout and if he falters you send him down for the Marlies opener on Saturday, and if he looks good you keep playing him obviously.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think it's great he will get some time with the big club, even in practice it should be valuable. I also think it intellectually dishonest if you pretend this isn't for cap purposes only. It's okay, WIN/WIN.

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If Sandin is Sandman
then
Liljegren should be Lil-Man or Lil-Tim or anything but Lily-pad? Yea that require more work; come on Babs don’t be lazy

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If Sandin is Sandman
then
Liljegren should be Lil-Man or Lil-Tim or anything but Lily-pad? Yea that require more work; come on Babs don’t be lazy
upload_2019-10-2_7-24-39.png

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I don't understand at all why leaf fans cannot read between the lines in regards to this announcement.

Edit - I also cannot understand why no one is up in arms about this. "Marincin is our #6 D?! This team is going to hell in a handbasket! What? Liljgren made the team and is starting in Ottawa?! Amazing. This makes perfect sense!"

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
LilyPad, Apolo, ButterCup, Sandman......they need a couple of Zeus, Brutus, Thor or the like.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Basically a 3 man bottom pair until dermotts back .

I like it for development of the youngs guys while trying to win now

Don't underrate watching from the press box.....as long as you get the opportunity to play soon after

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Liljegren just wasn't possessing the game fast enough imo, he'd get the puck on his stick and struggle to make a tape to tape pass or turn the puck over which in turn would mean he was trapped inside his own zone fighting to get the puck back all the time

Sandin can be iffy defensively but he can push the puck up ice in a very efficient manner which is pretty astonishing for a guy his age

I don't think Liljegren is ready and would like to see him back on the Marlies ASAP, I'd have a look at Sandin and if he struggles I'd send him down to, there's nothing wrong with giving guys more development time
Liljegren needs to go back down and build up his confidence. I believe the pressure got to him this preseason and it seemed like he just played scared and looked jumpy on every other play. He may have the ability but he doesn't have the temperament as it (stands) to play in the NHL. Every one of the last three years he has missed time due to significant injuries. No harm in sending him down as he is still really green between the ears and has a lot to work on.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think it's great he will get some time with the big club, even in practice it should be valuable. I also think it intellectually dishonest if you pretend this isn't for cap purposes only. It's okay, WIN/WIN.

I'm okay with him with the big club.

As long as he gets games he'll develop.

You don't stop developing once you hit the NHL, and you don't get used to the NHL game in the AHL.

It isn't going to hurt his development.

Either he has the talent or he doesn't and he won't get any more talented in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->