Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Most right handed players shoot left. having your strong hand up top gives you more control/stickhandling and shooting is more in the wrists these days then the power pushed down at that midway point of the stick.
I have found this topic a very very strange one TBH. Did you know that 90% of Canada is right handed but over 60% of hockey players are left handed?
I am right handed for almost everything I do except for hockey. I shoot left. Now what is triply weird is both my sons are also right handed but play left and so is my dad.
I think when we first go on ice at 2 or 3 our dads just give us a left handed stick. That's the only way I could ever explain it. Because it makes ZERO sense.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
You think "Sandin is ahead of Liljegren" and "Guess my point is that Lilly isn't even better than Holl so it's weird to put him ahead" are similar statements?

If you had actually said something along the lines of "Sandin should be switched to the right side, ahead of Liljegren", there'd be no confusion. Instead, you lazily grumbled and expected everyone else to pick up on all the words you didn't say.

Hahahah don't blame me because you can't pick up on things.

While we are at it lets bring up Jesper Lindgren to play RD on Leafs. We need another right-handed defenceman. He's AHL calibur? Oh that doesn't matter he shoots right. Good argument lol.

Last edited:

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
I have found this topic a very very strange one TBH. Did you know that 90% of Canada is right handed but over 60% of hockey players are left handed?
I am right handed for almost everything I do except for hockey. I shoot left. Now what is triply weird is both my sons are also right handed but play left and so is my dad.
I think when we first go on ice at 2 or 3 our dads just give us a left handed stick. That's the only way I could ever explain it. Because it makes ZERO sense.

Having a strong right hand is good for shooting left, it's the top of the stick. Same as baseball.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don't think Liljegren will be ready out of camp but may come up later. Right now he is a 7 dman, callup. With Ceci at 4.5 and Barrie at 2.5 coming of the books Dubas needs to find a top 3 dman. Rumour is Severson right now. I like Lily but playing him 5 mun a game does nothing for him or us. Dmen take longer.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Having a strong right hand is good for shooting left, it's the top of the stick. Same as baseball.

You can even break it down into the control hand and the power hand.

In baseball you actually find many of the hit leaders are hitting their off side. That is because their dominant hand is is at the knob of the bat, the control hand which more guides the bat. And the HR leaders tend to be the other way, their power hand is higher up on the bat.

Not sure how true that is in hockey.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
From the Athletic:
Timothy Liljegren: 20, RHD, 40 GP, 5 G, 25 A, 30 PTS
While Liljegren didn’t look very convincing in his 11 NHL games, with the Marlies he was the durable and standout defenceman he was expected to be.
He logged big minutes in different situations, generated offence and dictated play like very few AHL defencemen.
In February, Pellerin praised his decision-making.
“There are times when he can change the game,” Pellerin told The Athletic. “We’re very happy with the trajectory he’s on right now.”
Of course, what matters is how he performs with the Leafs. It seemed like a given he’d be in their lineup next season. He’s proven he’s a great AHL defenceman. Now he has to prove he’s more than that.
Grade: A-

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
From the Athletic:
Timothy Liljegren: 20, RHD, 40 GP, 5 G, 25 A, 30 PTS
While Liljegren didn’t look very convincing in his 11 NHL games, with the Marlies he was the durable and standout defenceman he was expected to be.
He logged big minutes in different situations, generated offence and dictated play like very few AHL defencemen.
In February, Pellerin praised his decision-making.
“There are times when he can change the game,” Pellerin told The Athletic. “We’re very happy with the trajectory he’s on right now.”
Of course, what matters is how he performs with the Leafs. It seemed like a given he’d be in their lineup next season. He’s proven he’s a great AHL defenceman. Now he has to prove he’s more than that.
Grade: A-
Agreed with all of this. All though the people who don't watch the Marlies will say he was bad.

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
If Liljegren cant make the leafs in the fall for next season they better get something for him in a deal . At this point if he cant make a bottom pairing for 2020-21 thats pretty bad.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If Liljegren cant make the leafs in the fall for next season they better get something for him in a deal . At this point if he cant make a bottom pairing for 2020-21 thats pretty bad.
Why do you say this? His play has improved gigantically. He will get much more call up time next season with our Leafs.

Our D will look something like this next year
Rielly RHD TBD stay at home defensive defender
Muzzy Dermy
Sandin Holl
Rosen or OMG you now who (I hope Rosen)

Why would we trade our future. Do you realize it takes many many years to develop Dmen like 6-8 years? and quite frankly we rushed Dermy. and we are probably rushing Sandin.

Reactions: Saint Blue

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not really.
How many more years is he Waiver exempt?

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
Not really.
How many more years is he Waiver exempt?
Waiting until waiver eligibility , great so we possibly give him away , if/when he cant make the team .
Im not saying at all this will happen . I think Timmy will be good . A bottom pairing next year should be a completely reasonable expectation for him . So if he cant i would rather see him a part of a package to bring in an actual defensemen before he loses all that value

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
You must be the one who said to trade Kadri when he was 21.
Also no he shouldn't be traded even if he doesn't make it by the start of camp. Every prospect develops differently and requires patience.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Waiting until waiver eligibility , great so we possibly give him away , if/when he cant make the team .
Im not saying at all this will happen . I think Timmy will be good . A bottom pairing next year should be a completely reasonable expectation for him . So if he cant i would rather see him a part of a package to bring in an actual defensemen before he loses all that value
Even if is on the the bottom pairing by mid next season, thats still fine.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The ability to move a player between the Marlies and The Leafs without the chance of losing them plays a part in who makes up the Team.
The most deserving players don't always make the Team because of this.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Lilly is still young he has time to improve. He'll never be a top Dman in the league but if he can gain some confidence he'll be serviceable.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Lilly is still young he has time to improve. He'll never be a top Dman in the league but if he can gain some confidence he'll be serviceable.
I honestly really can't understand how anybody can determine if a defenseman will be a top dman or not before they even turn 25. It boggles my mind really. Any one of Dermy, Lily or Sandin could turn into a Norris candidate around 28-29 or be out of league by the time they are 25.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
I'm sorry I just don't see it. He doesn't do anything exceptionally well. He doesn't have a ton of confidence. Just my opinion mates don't take it so personal. If he becomes one you can quote me and I'll admit I'm wrong.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He will be 21 next year. Still time.

People lack patience

I remember his first season or two in the AHL
He took some time (a couple of years) getting acclimstized before he became a top pairing, 2-way, minute eating RD Keefe could rely on

Giving up on him 10 games into his NHL career at 20 years old wouldn't be particularly smart strategy I'd have thought looking at his history with the organization

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
People lack patience

I remember his first season or two in the AHL
He took some time (a couple of years) getting acclimstized before he became a top pairing, 2-way, minute eating RD Keefe could rely on

Giving up on him 10 games into his NHL career at 20 years old wouldn't be particularly smart strategy I'd have thought looking at his history with the organization
I think you're being nice, which is weird :laugh:
Giving up on him this soon is down right stupid.

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
He will be 21 next year. Still time.
No i hear you . Probably being a tad impatient .
But i have to emphasize -Bottom Pairing- . Theres a big difference between top 4 and bottom 2 .
If the likes of a Marincin (and we all love Marincin) is playing in that spot instead of Liljegren then thats very meh .
Probably best for a guy like Timmy whos shown potential to play 11-12 mins a night and with zero special teams and go through those nhl growing pains in the early months of oct/nov

Reactions: saltming

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He needs to be able to play on the bottom pairing atleast next year. He will be in his D+4 and was not a high pick. He should be either playing out of camp or make the team as the first call up and play 40-50 games. If he is in the same spot next year as right now( great in the AHL but has struggles playing on the bottom pairing next season) that is concerning.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
He needs to be able to play on the bottom pairing atleast next year. He will be in his D+4 and was not a high pick. He should be either playing out of camp or make the team as the first call up and play 40-50 games. If he is in the same spot next year as right now( great in the AHL but has struggles playing on the bottom pairing next season) that is concerning.
He's at an age right now that most players enter the AHL at. If he goes back to the AHL next year he should dominate it like he did this year.

He'll be in the NHL. Not concerned at all.

Reactions: kb and stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad