Confirmed with Link: Timmy signs for 8 years x $8.35M

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Still funny that people were speculating he doesn't want to sign here next summer because of some wording in an interview and three days later he is locked up for 9 years.
This is every contract negotiation ever. Brady was effectively gone since he held out until the season started. Somebody likes a post on Instagram and it becomes discussion fodder for weeks where people will write a thesis on what it really means. You make a sarcastic comment about something to either joke around or be a troll and everyone jumps on it, taking both sides.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
How much did Timmy get in performance bonuses last year , 425k? Anyone else for this year, maybe Sandy or Pinto hit them.

Hopefully any players bonuses don’t carry over to next year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How much did Timmy get in performance bonuses last year , 425k? Anyone else for this year, maybe Sandy or Pinto hit them.

Hopefully any players bonuses don’t carry over to next year.
We have 7 mil in projected cap space and only 4 mil in potential performance bonuses (I guess a bit more if Thomson, JBD and/or Greig make the team)

I think we're safe even after we sign Formenton, but we'd open up a bunch of room if we manage to dump Zaitsev.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
As expected Stutzle's contract is pyramidal. Starting at 5, peaking at 10, then finishing at 7.4

There are a few important take aways on this.

1. Dorion is clearly willing to negotiate on price, but not bonuses or salary structure. We see many contracts that are absolutely maximized for the player (example, the tavares). Ottawa just will not do this.

2. The Senators are "bridging" all their stars. But they're adding a 4-5 year UFA deal on top. They're effectively combining two contracts to keep the cap hit high when they have space and low when they don't. This will help them avoid the meier/tkachuk/debrincat RFA squeeze.

3. This structure makes these guys more tradeable and, in a worst case scenario, more buy-out able. There is obviously an eye to exit strategy in all of these contracts.

4. The Senators are going to be an extremely expensive team in the mid 2020s. They currently have $50 mil in real dollars committed to 8 players for 2024-2025. The Senators could easily have one of the highest real salary teams in the NHL that season, potentially well above the salary cap.
I think the team budget and penalties for being above the salary cap will get in the way of the Senators going over the salary cap.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
You are conflating real dollars with salary cap dollars.
No. Both will factor into the matter. The penalties for exceeding the cap will be a direct deterrent and the team's budget will keep actual salaries lower which will keep the salary cap impact lower too.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
No. Both will factor into the matter. The penalties for exceeding the cap will be a direct deterrent and the team's budget will keep actual salaries lower which will keep the salary cap impact lower too.
You've misunderstood me. This doesn't intersect with what I've said.

If you take another look over my post I never suggested that the senators will spend above the cap in salary cap dollars.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad