Prospect Info: Timmins vs Bigras

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Timmins appears to be many years away from the NHL. Bigras has now reached his do or die year. Your question is hard to answer as they aren't at the same level of development at all.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
It's make or break time for Bigras, this year won't be the year, but if he doesn't take some significant steps forward my hope in him will greatly diminish.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's make or break time for Bigras, this year won't be the year, but if he doesn't take some significant steps forward my hope in him will greatly diminish.

If he doesn't make the team straight out of the camp with that lineup he's the next Stefan Elliott in my book.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
If the league expanded to 45 teams Bigras might be useful as a bottom pairing defender on one of them. Timmins at least has potential.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
If he doesn't make the team straight out of the camp with that lineup he's the next Stefan Elliott in my book.

Its so sad that we keep drafting D in a 1st or 2nd round, Siemens who might be a bust and Elliot a bust. Bigras was rated to have above average hockey IQ, good speed. I seemed to like him when he played a few games for Avs. What is he lacking? How could someone like Mironov just who was drafted in later rounds just pass him like that in lineup. I was very hyped up when Bigras was drafted by Avs and there were so many positive reviews of him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Its so sad that we keep drafting D in a 1st or 2nd round, Siemens who might be a bust and Elliot a bust. Bigras was rated to have above average hockey IQ, good speed. I seemed to like him when he played a few games for Avs. What is he lacking? How could someone like Mironov just who was drafted in later rounds just pass him like that in lineup.

D E V E

Nevermind

Reactions: ljb4

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Its so sad that we keep drafting D in a 1st or 2nd round, Siemens who might be a bust and Elliot a bust. Bigras was rated to have above average hockey IQ, good speed. I seemed to like him when he played a few games for Avs. What is he lacking? How could someone like Mironov just who was drafted in later rounds just pass him like that in lineup. I was very hyped up when Bigras was drafted by Avs and there were so many positive reviews of him.
Mironov hasn't exactly passed him up, he just is guaranteed a spot because he's not going to the AHL. Doesn't mean he's going to be good at the NHL level.

It's hard to say on this poll but I'd take the guy who can skate.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

1st and 2nd rounders bust out all the time. By his draft position alone, Bigras was more likely to not make it than to make it. I don't believe that Siemens would have done better in another org but others disagree.

Problem is we didn't draft nearly enough top talent dmen in the first 2 rounds during the last 10 years. We were always looking for the flashy forward who'll join the team ASAP instead of the dman who'll will take more time to develop. They were hoping to luck out with later round picks or to trade for them. They still have that same philosophy with goalies BTW.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Bigras. IMO, the most important attributes of a modern NHL defenseman are IQ and mobility, and Bigras has plenty of both. I think he's going to re-establish himself as a prospect this year, he's exactly the kind of player we need on the left side.

Timmins I like, and he has puck skills which is nice, but the skating does worry me a tad. It's fixable, but until he actually does it, I can't fully commit to saying he's going to be a top 4 defenseman.

It's a big year next year for both of them. Bigras to prove he can hang in the NHL, and Timmins to prove that last year wasn't just a flash in the pan.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Timmins I like, and he has puck skills which is nice, but the skating does worry me a tad.

I wonder what's the success rate of players with horrible skating during their draft year...how many of those managed to fix it? Grigs comes to mind but I don't think we can count it as truly "fixed".

A good part of skating is natural ability, unfortunately.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I'm hoping it's still Bigras.

My hope is that before the midway point of the season, Bednar is canned and Bennett takes over. Then Bigras gets his actual shot, and his confidence isn't ruined and even though Pratt will still be there, he'll manage to solidify his spot on the roster.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
This should be the season Bigras can show that he belong in the NHL, I hope he wont wind up on the other side of the earth just like Elliot did playing for Ak's of Barz Kazan.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Bigras, wether it's with us or someone else. Skating, IQ, accurate passer and reliable defensively. How can you screw up a prospect like that?

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think Timmins will be better ultimately, BUT that doesn't mean I think Bigras will be some kind of bust. I just think based on what I've read about both that Timmins has the better skill set, if not the skating ability.

I'm hoping Bigras makes the jump this year. He missed a whole lotta time last year but still showed a lot of promise.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Bigras, though I think Timmins has more value right now (shiny new toy). I also think Timmins has higher potential, but more hurdles, therefore less likely to reach it.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I wonder what's the success rate of players with horrible skating during their draft year...how many of those managed to fix it? Grigs comes to mind but I don't think we can count it as truly "fixed".

A good part of skating is natural ability, unfortunately.

It really isn't though, anybody can learn to do it well with some training to fix bad habits and lots and lots of practice. But nobody is naturally good at gliding along an even sheet of ice on razor blades.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
People keep telling me Stastny worked hard on his skating and improved it greatly from his DU days but I just think he's one of those guys who makes up for a lack of speed with decent hockey IQ who can anticipate where the play is going. I'm HOPING that's the case with Timmins as well.

I think Bigras is the "safer" bet for obvious reasons, but still think Timmins has more potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->