Times where a player was the receiver of a check but sent the other player flying

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Sakic running over Stevens was my first thought too. Here's Messier running him over too.

Interesting how Stevens blasted players with their heads down, but got run over by Joe Sakic of all players when he had his head up. Messier I can understand, but Sakic was surprising.

It happens. Come to think of it, when did Sakic ever get drilled in his career? We talk about Gretzky always eluding hits in his time but when did Sakic get hit either? Almost never. I guess he just always had his head up and saw things coming, and we know he was strong on his skates to begin with because of that strong skating ability. Stevens underestimated it.

Austerlitz

Jun 26, 2018
1991 playoffs. Theoren Fleury tries to take down Mark Messier on the boards. Fails.

There's a great one somewhere of Messier skating up the middle with his head down and Wendel Clark coming over and landing a textbook Wendel Clark open ice hit... except Clark goes down and Messier stays on his feet (albeit after a bit of a stumble).

Its the best of this category that I know of because Clark has a highlight reel of just destroying guys with that same play but barely budges Messier.

Reactions: Killion

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
There's a great one somewhere of Messier skating up the middle with his head down and Wendel Clark coming over and landing a textbook Wendel Clark open ice hit... except Clark goes down and Messier stays on his feet (albeit after a bit of a stumble).

Its the best of this category that I know of because Clark has a highlight reel of just destroying guys with that same play but barely budges Messier.

It's a classic! I remember watching this game live. The month I turned 11.

Reactions: Wrath

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->