Times where a player was the receiver of a check but sent the other player flying

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
In other words, think of times when a player stood another player up on the ice despite them being the target. Here are some examples:

Lindros in Game 3 of the 1996 World Cup. This was normal seeing him do this stuff to players but it is a little surprising it was a guy as big as Derian Hatcher. Hatcher has him lined up and Lindros as per usual even has his head down but he doesn't even budge and instead sends Hatcher flying. This is the only angle I've seen this. Start at 1:50:30

Who the heck is Mario Lemieux knocking down on this play? I am guessing an Islander. It's in 1993 on Don Cherry's Rock Em Sock Em 5. Lemieux just scored a goal and is about to get hit but he sees it coming and beats the player to it. Start at 0:40 and a better view of it around 2:00

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I enjoy this one of old man Howe turning the tables on some guy (8 seconds in):

Peter Forsberg was famous for doing this. Sakic surprisingly did it to Stevens in the 2001 finals too.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I enjoy this one of old man Howe turning the tables on some guy (8 seconds in):

Peter Forsberg was famous for doing this. Sakic surprisingly did it to Stevens in the 2001 finals too.

Where is the video of that Sakic hit? I know I've seen it but I tried looking it up.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Lindros in his rookie year sent Dana Murzyn flying when Murzyn tried to charge him. Murzyn was a big guy from what I remember.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Emelin thought he had Lucic lined up...but ended up on his back, and blew his knee out in the process

Ovechkin thought he had one on Chara, learned the hard way that's not a thing

0:57 is a close up replay

overg

Dec 15, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
Admit it. You started this thread purely as an excuse to post Rock Em Sock Em clips. Which is completely legit.

And on that note, who's the best I often ponder . . . right now it's Stevie Wonder. Let's Go!

So here's a clip of Pronger injuring himself trying to hit an injured Yzerman during the 2002 playoffs. The Blues had been targeting Yzerman all series due to his own obvious knee injury. This attempt by Pronger backfired rather tremendously. Stuff like this was why Pronger at one time had a reputation as a playoff-negative . . . before drastically changing that narrative when he joined Edmonton.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Here you go. Brilliant shift all around.

Of all the hits on this thread this is the one that doesn't make sense to me. Ovechkin, as much as a bull in a china shop that he is, I can understand someone as big as Chara pushing him off. Even Malkin is big and strong on his feet so it makes sense. Lucic, Messier, etc. others make sense too.

But the Sakic vs. Stevens one is strange. I think Sakic was very strong on his feet so that helps but he wasn't very physical. Stevens wasn't caught flat footed either, he had the momentum and the obvious size advantage. It just puzzles me how this happened. I guess you can't win em all, even if you are Scott Stevens.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Sakic running over Stevens was my first thought too. Here's Messier running him over too.

Interesting how Stevens blasted players with their heads down, but got run over by Joe Sakic of all players when he had his head up. Messier I can understand, but Sakic was surprising.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrhockey193195

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
It happened a few times when guys tried to hit Stan Smyl. He was 5'8" 190 pounds - built like a brick****house. He had a low center of gravity & often took people off their feet with his hits. But he was short & so solid that sometimes when taller guys tried to hit him he'd just crouch lower & bounce them off like rubber.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Forsberg indeed did this countless times.

I used to say "He'll bust a gut" trying that. Announcers praised his strong core.

When he ruptured his spleen, I said "I told you so!"

Reactions: Killion

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
John LeClair also utilized the reverse hit quite often. His lower body was absurdly strong. Impossible to move in front of the net.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
John LeClair also utilized the reverse hit quite often. His lower body was absurdly strong. Impossible to move in front of the net.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
One of the guys shockingly good at this in the league today is Valtteri Filppula.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj

There was a hit by Capitals Steve Konowalchuk right after LeClair's trade to the Flyers in which Konowalchuk tries to lay out LeClair, but all he does is bounce off Johnny Vermont. I'll see if I can find the clip.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Marleau is 6'2, 220 lbs and an elite skater, so no surprise many have failed to knock him off his skates.

Last season 6'4 Stone went to check puck-carrying Patty by the boards and Stone literally BOUNCED off Marleau. Could someone link it?

(I'm on my smartphone and dunno how to do it with this thing.)

Marleau has had a long healthy career in part because of his size and commitment to physical conditioning, working hard on his core strength in off seasons and renowned for riding the bike a lot, with solid leg strength.

(He doesn't often go out to make physical plays but he sure can take it. Even when he has been so-called "destroyed" by a hit, he just gets up, shakes it off and keeps playing.)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad