Time to wake up

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
so wait ... Daniel Briere (as one example) should care about how it screws your team over?

it was your owners damn fault for wanting the cap to begin with. now live with it. a player is a human and he is entitled to work for as much as someone else is willing to pay him. period.

although, he thinks you are overpaid too, but somehow you will say what you are paid is none of his business.

Bad example. Your right that a player is entitled to make what someone is willing to pay him. But in Briere's case his deal was an arbitration award not a contract offer. He got a 3.1 mil raise for playing only 48 games and he got that rediculous raise. I have no issue at all with owners shelling out whatever they want on players. But an arbitrator should use a little more common sense.

Players are human? Nice melodramatic touch.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Bad example. Your right that a player is entitled to make what someone is willing to pay him. But in Briere's case his deal was an arbitration award not a contract offer. He got a 3.1 mil raise for playing only 48 games and he got that rediculous raise. I have no issue at all with owners shelling out whatever they want on players. But an arbitrator should use a little more common sense.

Players are human? Nice melodramatic touch.
While I think the arbitrator gave Briere too much money, I believe you are confusing the point of arbitration. Briere did not get a raise for playing 48 games last year, his raise is based on what the arbitrator thought his value was for next season.

As had been pointed out ad nauseum by some Sabres fans, Briere was on pace for a 100 point season. Now Briere's case was much easier to make than Buffalo's. He has been in the NHL for about five years full time (give or take) and last year was his first injury, making the "injury prone" argument difficult. He came back from the hernia and absolutely tore up the playoffs, so he showed no lingering effects. He did score at a much higher clip this year than he has in the past, but a smart guy on Briere's side could say that is because of the "New NHL." I can see more convincing arguments on Briere's side than Buffalo's. Next year he can certainly be worth 5M.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
While I think the arbitrator gave Briere too much money, I believe you are confusing the point of arbitration. Briere did not get a raise for playing 48 games last year, his raise is based on what the arbitrator thought his value was for next season.
And it is irrelevant to look at an arbitration award and talk about an XXX % raise. A large raise % could just as well show that last season that player was horribly under-paid.

The Arbiter does not care about how much Briere earned last season - in fact that is not even admissable as evidence - only how much players deemed comparable to Briere are earning this season.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
All that matters is a couple of teams are going to be in trouble if the Cap ever goes down. As a result, some players are going to get screwed over because teams won't have any cap room to pay them.

GSC2k2*

I do not see where the phrase "screwed over" is an appropriate adjective at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad