Time to Upgrade the Skates...

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Right now I have a pair of Bauer Vapor 6's from 2002 that I've had for a year since I moved to ice. I'm looking to upgrade to a stiffer and lighter boot. I skate a couple times a week and would like my next pair of skates to last me a little bit. I've narrowed it down to the Bauer Vapor series and the CCM U+ pros from '09. I tried on a CCM v06 from last year or the year before and they were comfortable.

Any thoughts? ideally I wouldn't spend over $400 and I am not in a huge rush.

Last edited:

WeWillWinTonight

Apr 2, 2008
NY
Can't go wrong with Vapors and whatever you get now is going to be lighter than your old Vapors from '02.

I'd say if you had success with the Vapor line in the past, why switch. I've always been a Supreme guy and that all I buy. And the skates now are significantly better in every way than 10 years ago.

Point i'm trying to make is that whatever you get that is new, it's going to be better than what you had in the past.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Right now I have a pair of Bauer Vapor 6's from 2002 that I've had for a year since I moved to ice. I'm looking to upgrade to a stiffer and lighter boot. I skate a couple times a week and would like my next pair of skates to last me a little bit. I've narrowed it down to the Bauer Vapor series and the CCM U+ pros from '09. I tried on a CCM v06 from last year or the year before and they were comfortable.

Any thoughts? ideally I wouldn't spend over $400 and I am not in a huge rush.

if ccm vectors and u+ series fit your feet well, then it's unlikely current vapors will fit well also...and vice versa.
as has been said time and time again, if you have a lhs, go there and get fitted properly.

shaynexbruin

Oct 16, 2007
i picked up a pair of bauer supreme One80's yesturday. They are in the $400 price range. I also tried on vapors and CCM U+12's. The CCM's were very very comfy on my feet, but were hell on my ankles. I would just go down to your local shop and try on everything in your price range. The fit is everything, and there are really some very good choices from a number of brands for that price range.

Socal Spartan

Jan 22, 2011
Encinitas, CA
Just a heads up if you're planning on making the drive up to Hockey Monkey. Went up there last weekend and their selection of skates was extremely limited. Had a bunch that looked real nice on the wall, but when it came time to find a size it was a flippin' mess. It got to the point where I stopped asking for a particular model and told him to just find what you have in my size. He came back with a $600 pair of bauers. So no skates for me. But I did get a new wetsuit that weekend!

Whew. Felt good to get that out.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Just a heads up if you're planning on making the drive up to Hockey Monkey. Went up there last weekend and their selection of skates was extremely limited. Had a bunch that looked real nice on the wall, but when it came time to find a size it was a flippin' mess. It got to the point where I stopped asking for a particular model and told him to just find what you have in my size. He came back with a $600 pair of bauers. So no skates for me. But I did get a new wetsuit that weekend!

That's actually where I was going to go.

So my budget dried up after a party fine and I still want an upgrade. I can get 08 or 09 CCM U06 skates for 150. They feel good, snug but a good snug and I would only have them for about a year until I can really upgrade long term. I can get them sharpened for free but not baked. That would cost me some. Worth it?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
That's actually where I was going to go.

So my budget dried up after a party fine and I still want an upgrade. I can get 08 or 09 CCM U06 skates for 150. They feel good, snug but a good snug and I would only have them for about a year until I can really upgrade long term. I can get them sharpened for free but not baked. That would cost me some. Worth it?
Sounds like a pretty good deal. If Vapors fit you well (and I assume they do if your last skate was a Vapor?), the X40 is currently on sale at a lot of places (probably because the APX skates are gonna come out soon). I skate on them currently, best skate I've ever owned (especially once I replaced the garbage stock footbed with yellow superfeet, hard to explain how huge of an upgrade this is), I'd absolutely recommend them if they fit you well and you're willing to spend the $270-$300 that they're currently going for.

Wildturkey12

Do It!
Oct 20, 2010
L.A.

I found the same problem when I went there. Supposedly they stock up during the week and run out by the weekend, which makes no sense. I went there with the intentions to buy another pair of Vapors and left with the one100s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad