Time to try Dermott at RD

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I think Dermott is an intelligent enough to play his off side. He is also kind of being wasted on the bottom pairing.

Hainsey and Gardiner are UFAs next year and the price of top 4 RD is evidently insane.

I think Dermott could be the top 4 RD we need and we should see if he can play the right side because if he can we should resign Gards if possible.

Let Hainsey walk, Rosen comes in on the 3rd pairing.

The problem of course is how do we get him on the right side this year and honestly I think if the leafs are looking comfortable in their spot down the stretch we drop Hainsey to the 3rd pairing and bump Dermott up with Rielly.

It would gives Hainsey a much needed rest for the playoffs and might tell us if Dermott can play the right side effectively. Likely means Gardiner pairing takes a bit harder matchups for that time so Dermott isnt thrown to the wolves while playing his off side.

Another thought is bumping Dermott up with Rielly or Gardiner when chasing a game in the third like I have seen Babcock do a few times.

Thoughts?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I really like the idea of moving Dermott up. He needs to be playing much more minutes.

I don't know if I like the idea so much of putting him with Reilly. But I do like the idea of moving him to the second pair with Zaitsev. I would definitely see if Gardiner can play with Reilly. That would be the change I would try out.

Reilly-Gardiner
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Oz

RLF

May 5, 2014
I really like the idea of moving Dermott up. He needs to be playing much more minutes.

I don't know if I like the idea so much of putting him with Reilly. But I do like the idea of moving him to the second pair with Zaitsev. I would definitely see if Gardiner can play with Reilly. That would be the change I would try out.

Reilly-Gardiner
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Oz

I like this when we have done it late in games. Would like to see us try it.

Snip Genos

GO LEAFS GO
Jun 14, 2007
Ontario
It could be something to try but I see Dermott taking Gardiner’s spot behind Rielly in the long run. Gardiner is great but leafs will have to pay him like 6 million a year or so and I think that’s too much for this team if he’s not our best offensive defenseman imo.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I believe it is inevitable for Dermott to be playing the left side on his own pairing when Gardiner leaves. I'm ok with him being on the bottom pairing for this year though, getting him more experience in the league before he enters a permanent top-4 role is very beneficial.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Gardiner - Rielly
Dermott - Zaitsev
Rosén - Hainsey

That's what I would go with. That third pairing can't really be Hainsey and Oz, they'd never get the puck out of their zone. Use that first pairing as a legitimate top unit.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Ya the Gardiner-Rielly pairing is certainly intriguing but I dont see Bacock doing that for entire games ever.

I also think Gardiner and Zaitsev have quietly gone about playing some pretty good hockey this year. A ton of ice time, high QoC, hard zone usage and they have a pretty damn low GA/60 last time I checked.

I think Zaitsev moving up with Rielly and dermott playing with Gardiner is something Babcock would consider though and could be pretty decent. The Gardiner-Dermott pairing could eat up minutes at ES

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
I think this is the plan actually. I've noticed Babs putting Dermott out with Rielly more and more frequently presumably to reduce Hainsey's minutes.

KitchenSink

Dec 3, 2018
I've noticed Babcock has actually been bumping Dermot up to play with Reilly late in games when we are trailing recently. I like Reilly-Dermott together better than Reilly-Gardiner. I think we would see a lot less of Reilly's creativity and offensive aggressiveness (which is what's making him look so good this year) if he is playing with Gardiner. I just don't see Gardiner reading the play and sitting back to protect Reilly's aggressiveness. Dermott still has his young mistakes but I think he is better at sitting back in support.

That being said, I dont think we will see Dermott up with Reilly regularly any time soon. I think the thinking behind having Dermott on the 3rd pairing is to help protect against Ozhiganov's play. Hainsey-Ozhiganov would be too vulnerable. It's much more difficult to shelter a defenceman's competition. Even the 3rd pairing will be playing around 15 minutes (Ozhiganov plays 14:37 min/game). That's why Dermott is on the 3rd pairing but they find opportunities to slide him in more often. Dermott plays 17:54 min/game.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Dermott kind of reminds me of a younger Rielly... he's mature, smart, fast, and hes solid. I think both he and Morgan would benefit from playing with each other.

And, he would instantly become the best D Partner Rielly has ever had.

RIELLY - DERMOTT
GARDINER - ZAITSEV
HAINSEY - OZHIGANOV

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Things that need to be attempted:

Dermott on RD

Ozhiganov in the top 4

Rosen on the 3rd pairing

This will tell us what works for next year

Ad

Upcoming events