time to talk about Jordan Binnington?

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
Allen has his faults, but Allen is much better at handling the puck than Binnington. It could just be a matter of experience and Binnington getting used to the NHL speed, but he has had a few close calls where he almost didn't get the puck off his stick in time.
Agreed. One of the few strengths of Allen is his puck handling. I’ve seen him complete his own outlet passes for breakaways.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Agreed. One of the few strengths of Allen is his puck handling. I’ve seen him complete his own outlet passes for breakaways.
Allen makes many good plays with the puck and some incredible passes, but he occasionally makes gaffes too because he is too overconfident in his ability to handlepuck and occasionally goes after pucks or tries things he shouldnt.

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
The dude is 12-1-1 with a stellar GA and save %. He's a huge reason the Blues are surging.
Are we going to be talking about top 10 goalie Jordan Binnington a couple years from now?

Van Buren Boy

--------------------
Aug 18, 2006
When comparing Hart to Binnington, as a whole, i find the Blues are just playing much better defensively than the Flyers are. The Flyers have to depend way more on their goaltending. When comparing shots against from the start of 2019, Carter Hart averages 35 SA/G while Binnington averages 25 SA/G. Still, pretty impressive what Binnington is doing. His QS% is best in the league for any keeper who's played more than 15 games.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Tough to say because goalies are voodoo but he's got a decent track record in the AHL with good SV% and he's still very young for a goalie so he'll get every opportunity to be their goalie of the future.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
7th player in NHL history with 4+ shutouts in his first 14 games. 5 of those are pre-WW2. I wouldn't call him a star in the making just yet because the other player to do so is Antti Niemi, but what I can do is guarantee that the Blues will win the Cup this year.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Off the top of my head, Michael Hutchinson as a goalie that played well in the AHL and was fantastic over his first 20+ games and was around the same age.

You need way more than 14 games to judge a goalie.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I'll start by saying that the defense in front of Binnington is playing outstanding hockey. They are making it somewhat easy on Jordan.

With that said, it certainly isn't impossible that Binnington may be a top 10 NHL goalie down the road. He has the tools and right now he has the confidence.

I said earlier this year that his career was very similar to Ben Bishop's up to age 25. 3rd round picks that took a long time to develop but slowly figured it out in the AHL. We all know goalies take the longest to develop. This may be another great, late bloomer.

I haven't seen anything that would suggest Binnington is a fluke. He is positionally sound, plays the puck very well, and doesn't get flustered by a bad goal. I think I read his rebound control is statistically strong too, though, that was about 3-4 games ago.

I'm cautiously optimistic! A star? I'm not going that far yet. A good starter? Please! Please! Please!

Reactions: Bluenatic

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
7th player in NHL history with 4+ shutouts in his first 14 games. 5 of those are pre-WW2. I wouldn't call him a star in the making just yet because the other player to do so is Antti Niemi, but what I can do is guarantee that the Blues will win the Cup this year.

Sweet let’s start planning the parade now. He’s an opposition of Allen who is more of a reflex save goalie compared to Binnington who is all about positioning and rebound control. Will be interesting to see if he can keep up this crazy pace but it suites the Blues style of play way better than Allen.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Way too early to say. He's been solid so far but the Blues in general are just playing ridiculous hockey right now. He hasn't faced a tonne of rubber in a lot of those starts and the shots he is facing are often times from outside without much secondary opportunity as the Blues defense has been dominant during this stretch.

He could be a high end starter, the numbers in the AHL and through juniors are always pretty good, but it's definitely to early to say yet. The bigger tests for goalies usually happen when things aren't going perfectly well and they have a couple bad games, and how they respond to those bad games.

Reactions: Halak Ness Monster

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Sweet let’s start planning the parade now. He’s an opposition of Allen who is more of a reflex save goalie compared to Binnington who is all about positioning and rebound control. Will be interesting to see if he can keep up this crazy pace but it suites the Blues style of play way better than Allen.

Agree.

I compared him to Brian Elliott last week. Sounds meh but Elliott was a beast for the Blues.

Some guys just work well behind our defense. Ryan Miller? Nope. Brian Elliott and Carter Hutton? Absolutely.

Binnington is much better at puck handling than Elliott, though. With Ells you just prayed he stayed in net. With Binny, I just hope he doesn't get overconfident out there. He's doing some interesting things with the puck with his confidence sky rocketing.

I think at the least we've got another Hutton, Elliott and that's great.

Lisa Needs Braces

Apr 7, 2004
Sadly the NHL has one of these guys every couple seasons who come in out of nowhere and play out of their minds. Andrew Hammond is a great example as is Antti Niemi. Not saying it can't be done, but its rare that you get a goalie on this kind of streak who doesn't come back down to earth fairly quickly.

The test for this kid is how he fares after he's had NHL teams scouting him for a bit. Hopefully he does well.

Reactions: AKAChip

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Sadly the NHL has one of these guys every couple seasons who come in out of nowhere and play out of their minds. Andrew Hammond is a great example as is Antti Niemi. Not saying it can't be done, but its rare that you get a goalie on this kind of streak who doesn't come back down to earth fairly quickly.

The test for this kid is how he fares after he's had NHL teams scouting him for a bit. Hopefully he does well.

A couple teams tried going high glove all the time and it didn't accomplish anything. To this point, his most exploitable weakness seems to be his aggression. We've seen a few very close calls on wraparounds because of that. If the Blues allowed more lateral movement or allowed the opposition to get more clean rebound shots, that might matter more.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

He's pretty boring in net. While he is playing out of his mind stat wise...he's not standing on his head.

We don't expect him to win 9/10 games....but his calm play leads me to have confidence he can having a good winning record

Reactions: 67Blues

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->