time to talk about Jordan Binnington?

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Was just thinking to myself that there’s a lot of buzz around Carter Hart ( rightfully so ), but why is nobody talking about Binnington?

He’s been on a heck of a roll and, similarly to Hart, seems to be the biggest reason they’ve gotten back into the race

I think it has to do with him being 25 wasn't highly regarded and has had steady but not stellar ahl. Numbers

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
huh who knew all the Blues were missing was a better goaltender
Like every single blues fan. Same went for the coach.

Funny thing was everyone just thought blues as a whole sucked and started offering poo for every player saying the blues needed a shake up to come out.

All the blues fans said we just needed a goalie new coach and better play.

We got a better goalie a new coach and then all of a sudden we are beating Stanley cup contenders.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I mean it's not as much of a flash in the pan as you'd expect, he had a .926 in Providence last year, a .927 in the AHL this season, and has a .931 right now in the NHL.

Reactions: Mike Liut

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
he's been excellent but sheltered

a bigger sample size is needed to see what he can do against nhl level talent

Reactions: MB11

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
he's been excellent but sheltered

a bigger sample size is needed to see what he can do against nhl level talent

How has he been sheltered. He has started almost every single game since his first start on 1/7 with a shutout. he has played against some of the best teams in the league and won.
1/7 PHI win 3-0 25 save Shut out
1/10 MTL win 4-1 28sv 29sh .966 sv% (was 3rd in atlantic)
1/12 DAL Win 3-1 22sv 22sh .955 sv% (3rd in central)
1/15 NYI Lose 1-2 OT 23sv 25sh .920 Sv% (1st in metro)
1/19 OTT Win 3-2 28sv 30sh .933 sv% (ott sucks)
1/21 LA Lose 3-4 25sv 29sh .862 sv% (Blues played badly)
1/23 ANA Win 5-1 12sv 13sh .923 sv% ( ana sucks so bad)
2/2 CBJ win 4-2 18av 20sh .900sv% (3rd in Metro)
2/5 FLA win 3-2 22sv 24sh .917 sv% (team is better than standings show)
2/7 TB win 1-0 32 save shut out (Best team in Hokcey)
2/9 Nsh win 3-2 29sh 31sv .935 sv% (Best team in central till blues denied them 4 pts in 2 games)

So seriously i know he is only 9-1-1 but how has he been sheltered he literally never played before his first start. Allen doesnt get the competition, allen hasnt been playing at all except for the back to back home and home with Nashville and he sheet the bed.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
How has he been sheltered. He has started almost every single game since his first start on 1/7 with a shutout. he has played against some of the best teams in the league and won.
1/7 PHI win 3-0 25 save Shut out
1/10 MTL win 4-1 28sv 29sh .966 sv% (was 3rd in atlantic)
1/12 DAL Win 3-1 22sv 22sh .955 sv% (3rd in central)
1/15 NYI Lose 1-2 OT 23sv 25sh .920 Sv% (1st in metro)
1/19 OTT Win 3-2 28sv 30sh .933 sv% (ott sucks)
1/21 LA Lose 3-4 25sv 29sh .862 sv% (Blues played badly)
1/23 ANA Win 5-1 12sv 13sh .923 sv% ( ana sucks so bad)
2/2 CBJ win 4-2 18av 20sh .900sv% (3rd in Metro)
2/5 FLA win 3-2 22sv 24sh .917 sv% (team is better than standings show)
2/7 TB win 1-0 32 save shut out (Best team in Hokcey)
2/9 Nsh win 3-2 29sh 31sv .935 sv% (Best team in central till blues denied them 4 pts in 2 games)

So seriously i know he is only 9-1-1 but how has he been sheltered he literally never played before his first start. Allen doesnt get the competition, allen hasnt been playing at all except for the back to back home and home with Nashville and he sheet the bed.

Explain to me how he's been sheltered, and why every other team in the league isn't sheltering their goalies in the same revolutionary way
did you miss how he's leading the "easy work/good results" category for goaltenders?

and it's not like he's been started in all situations all the time. recently he's the go to guy, but his first few starts were carefully chosen opponents, as they should have been for a new goalie. so sheltered in a small sample size. good results, but much to prove against the rest of the league

Last edited:

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
did you miss how he's leading the "easy work/good results" category for goaltenders?

and it's not like he's been started in all situations all the time. recently he's the go to guy, but his first few starts were carefully chosen opponents, as they should have been for a new goalie. so sheltered in a small sample size. good results, but much to prove against the rest of the league

You are correct on Binnington.

As a whole though, that chart makes me feel better about the Blues as a team.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
*Starts new thread*
Jordan Binnington is the first player in NHL history to win a game while having 4 letter N's in his surname

#Generational N's

He's the first NHL goalie to have the same first name as Michael Jordan's last name and get 9 wins!:sarcasm:

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Binnington handles the puck very well and makes smart decisions with the puck. This makes it so much easier for the Blues to evade fore-checkers and break it out of their zone, resulting in less dangerous scoring chances for the opposition.

And then there's Jake Allen, who just flings the puck along the glass so it gets intercepted and he can slide across the crease to make the save, only to leave the net wide open for a rebound. Allen's wild playing style gives the illusion that's he's an elite goalie because his poor positioning leads to miraculous looking(lucky) saves.....or goals against. I still don't dislike Allen though. I think he's a decent goalie, just not consistent enough as a starter, and seems to make our defense play much worse.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
How many of the remaining games does he have to play to not become a UFA after the season?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
How many of the remaining games does he have to play to not become a UFA after the season?
Without looking it up I don’t know the exact number but I believe it’s around 14 or so.

So whatever it is, with 26 games left, he should hit it.

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
Binnington handles the puck very well and makes smart decisions with the puck. This makes it so much easier for the Blues to evade fore-checkers and break it out of their zone, resulting in less dangerous scoring chances for the opposition.

And then there's Jake Allen, who just flings the puck along the glass so it gets intercepted and he can slide across the crease to make the save, only to leave the net wide open for a rebound. Allen's wild playing style gives the illusion that's he's an elite goalie because his poor positioning leads to miraculous looking(lucky) saves.....or goals against. I still don't dislike Allen though. I think he's a decent goalie, just not consistent enough as a starter, and seems to make our defense play much worse.
Allen has his faults, but Allen is much better at handling the puck than Binnington. It could just be a matter of experience and Binnington getting used to the NHL speed, but he has had a few close calls where he almost didn't get the puck off his stick in time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad