time to talk about Jordan Binnington?

GoBluz24

Established 1967
Apr 8, 2012
so ill near st lou
He's been getting a little bit of goal post luck lately but the team is playing well in front of him and he is making very timely saves. Whether he can keep this up remains to be seen but us Blues fans are enjoying the ride while it lasts.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Was just thinking to myself that there’s a lot of buzz around Carter Hart ( rightfully so ), but why is nobody talking about Binnington?

He’s been on a heck of a roll and, similarly to Hart, seems to be the biggest reason they’ve gotten back into the race

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Seems like the main reason why the Blues are so good all of a sudden.

9-1-1
1.72 GAA
.931 SV%
2 goals or less in 10 of his last 11 starts.

Can he keep it up?

Binnington has been great and you can tell his play fuels their confidence, but the Blues were playing good hockey for a solid stretch before he was recalled. Fewest shots allowed in the league for a couple months - a good indication that Binnington will have the support to keep it up.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Was just thinking to myself that there’s a lot of buzz around Carter Hart ( rightfully so ), but why is nobody talking about Binnington?

He’s been on a heck of a roll and, similarly to Hart, seems to be the biggest reason they’ve gotten back into the race
Hart is also what, 5 or 6 years younger? He's doing this at 20, when most guys are still in juniors or on their first American league season.

That said Binnington has sure been fun to watch. Curious to see how he looks once the league starts to adjust.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
That is the definition of flash in the pan. Both Buffalo goalies had similar numbers at one point of the season and they are both at .909 now. Anders Nilsson is at .934 with Ottawa. Among the league leaders in Sv% (10 or more games played) there are 5 backups in the top 5. How many of them do you think legitimately are as good as those numbers indicate and how many of the are Scott Darlings?

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
probably not but I don't think they really need him to be

there's a massive enough gap between him and what they had before that even a bit of regression still leaves them with a pretty big improvement in net

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
We'll eventually have to see how he deals with some adversity.

Can he keep an above average sv%? I wouldn't discount it when solid positional goalies do well behind a Blues defense that typically limits shots and high danger chances, something that we've seen a return to over the past couple of months.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
There’s almost definitely going to be a phase where he comes back down to earth. As long as he can keep saving the ones he supposed to and make the occasional big save, that will be plenty. The Blues have shown with Elliott, Hutton, and now Binnington, they don’t need an all world goaltender. They just need a steady goaltender who saves the ones he should. Unfortunately they’ve had pretty much the polar opposite of that in Allen.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Tell me he's the fastest goalie to get to some meaningless benchmark or gtfo.

Made my night :laugh:

There’s almost definitely going to be a phase where he comes back down to earth. As long as he can keep saving the ones he supposed to and make the occasional big save, that will be plenty. The Blues have shown with Elliott, Hutton, and now Binnington, they don’t need an all world goaltender. They just need a steady goaltender who saves the ones he should. Unfortunately they’ve had pretty much the polar opposite of that in Allen.

Was about to ask how he compares to Elliott, who in StL was just 'steady,' basically all they needed at that time.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
He's no world beater but he's exactly what the Blues needed. We just need a steady goalie who can make the easy saves and the hard one every now and then. He's giving the rest of the team confidence and it's making Blues hockey fun to watch again. Jake Allen can go fly a kite.

Reactions: Bleedred

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I always thought Binnington could become a starter, but never an elite one. I still am not sure about him being a top tier guy. Just straight solid, as he has been for years.

He has developed very well in the AHL despite not being viewed as the top guy. Now he is showing well.

Jake Allen always had the higher potential because of his raw abilities, but Binnington had the chance to be better because of his fundamentals.

So far he has drastically outplayed Jake. However, he has also been pretty lucky. There are probably more than a handful of bounces that have gone his way. Most goalies will get one or two every few games, so it not a big thing, but it does matter. The defense in front of him has also played fantastic, limiting shots and clearing second chances. It’s a team effort out there and the team is collectively do their parts.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They badly needed to bench Allen. Allen has been horrific this year and has let in some really disgustingly brutal goals to back it up.

Binnington let in a really bad one today, but has been passing the eye test as much as his play on paper which is drastically better than Allen's.

The Blues look like a pretty good team on paper, at least that's what I thought going into this year. They don't really need Vezina level goaltending IMO, just someone better than Allen, who was just giving games away and punting them left and right.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Uhhhh literally everyone...?
9nohQh4.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad