Time to fix the offside rule

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by nystromshairstylist, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Seanaconda

Seanaconda Registered User

We have this thread a few times a year but I believe it's touching the ice so it's easier to call for one no weird angles and whatever . And you don't want people skating with their back blade out in the middle of the air all the time

2. Braunbaer

Braunbaer Registered User

True, but God forbid if one of those exceptions happen to your team.

Ducks DVM likes this.
  3. Dr Black

Dr Black Registered User

The infamous Matt Duchane missed offside call was such a RARE ANOMALY! Did it suck for the team that was scored upon that time? Sure it did. But it was a RARE occurrence! For the NHL to overreact to such a rare instance like this really makes me angry. The people who put in this offside challenge just did not think it through! I expect so much better from NHL rule makers!

Dicky113 likes this.
  4. Backhandbeauty

Backhandbeauty Registered User

Get rid of all reviews in sports. They ruin the moment.

5. Finnish your Czech

Finnish your Czech João Tavares

Sometimes
    Slightly offside goals don't really affect the flow and how enjoyable the game is, but the offside reviews make the game worse IMO.

Last Gleaming and truthbluth like this.
  6. Egghead1999

Egghead1999 Registered User

NHL was thinking to do the same too. However, the home team can put a slow motion replay on the jumbotron to show the offside.

7. CantLoseWithMatthews

CantLoseWithMatthews Registered User

way too rarely to think of it as a concerning pattern though. What is a pattern now is linesmen are starting to call everything close offside, in the fear that it will lead to a challenge. that slows the game down, and there's no challenge for when they wrongly call a play offside

8. Powinkle

Powinkle Registered User

In my opinion, since they have set rules on what offside is or isn't, if you are to break those rules and a replay can prove that it happened (even just a millimeter) you should have the goal disallowed. You gained entry illegally and just cause you held the zone for some-odd seconds doesn't change that fact.

9. Dr Black

Dr Black Registered User

I don't blame the linesmen one bit for doing this! In fact, I would much rather the linesmen error on the side of blowing a close play down that MIGHT be offside rather than having a perfectly good highlight reel goal stolen from a team and player because a play was 1 CM offside after a 4-minute forensic analysis of an entry.

Just one of MANY reasons why this rule needs to go!

10. LeafShark

LeafShark Registered User

Bring technology into the game to be the line judge.

11. Butch 19

Butch 19 Go cart Mozart

Not true at all. Over the past 2 - 3 weeks the Kings have lost at least 3 - 4 points due to offside challenge. Lost every challenge

I keep waiting for them to balance out but that ain't happening.

12. Johnny Rifle

Johnny Rifle Pittsburgh Penguins

Eliminate the "skate on the ice" rule. I'm pretty sure that pucks stayed on the ice 99% of the time back when offside was first implemented, so if a puck has to completely cross the plane then why shouldn't the offensive player be held to the same standard.

The main reason I oppose the offside challenge is that there are instances of linesmen blowing scoring plays dead that are NOT offside. I'm sure that prevented many goals from being scored as well. Not only are we taking away goals on review, we are taking away goals from calls that have no review option.

I would compare offside calls to balls/strikes in baseball. Neither system is perfect, but until technology allows us to make near-instantaneous calls at the blue lines, it's best to stick to an imperfect system than delay the game because linemen are humans.

13. LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75 Registered User

During the Leafs and Predators game from this past Monday when Auston Matthews goal was disallowed because Nylander was barely offside, the puck went into the Predators net 26 seconds after the Leafs went into the Predators end.

14. GOilers88

GOilers88 Registered User

I agree. Treat it like an endzone. Break the plane, stays onside.

15. danmcn12

danmcn12 #freeRedmond

it should go, the penalty for being wrong is stupid "fix" too. i never feel like blatant off sides are being missed when watching games. even the duchene one im pretty sure the ref just messed up and thought the preds player shot the puck back not that he didnt see he was offside.

16. Dicky113

Dicky113 Registered User

Did that idiot ever work again though? The game is being ruined by this nonsense. If it’s close enough to be debatable, just let it go,

Lazlo Hollyfeld likes this.
  17. TooManyHumans

TooManyHumans Registered User

If they want to change it how about just making the replays happen in real time? The replay official has to watch it at live speed and will overturn it only if at live speed he can see a mistake was made.

18. Zarathustra

Zarathustra This is not my hat.

I'd actually be for taking away offside and replacing it with a two-line pass rule if and only if the red line did not count as a "line," but would likely still have to exist for icing calls, etc.

In other words, the puck cannot be passed across both blue lines (defensive to offensive zone), but stretch passes to streaking players would be less concerned about having to tag up at the line and wait for the puck. It would also give more space to players in offensive zone to work. I think it would also lead to some more creative and varied systems, be easier to understand for new fans, lead to fewer stoppages in play, and be less ambiguous.

But I also agree that it would drastically change the game and can admit that if I ever saw it implemented I might hate it, haha.

19. Neuf

Neuf Winterplague

I think this would result in reviews as well

20. Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld Pitter Patter

Well technically it's "off-side" not "offsides" but I still understood the point you were making even though there was a tiny error that didn't affect the larger outcome.

See how that works?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  21. sting101

sting101 Registered User

Some good arguments here.

If they keep it i agree with getting rid of the skate having to be on the ice and once possession is changed its unchallengeable.

Ultimately i feel they should scrap it.

it's too much of a game buzz kill for the net results and gets rid of goals on a minor mistake that could be brought up every time a ref makes a discretionary call for a penalty, penalty shots so on and so forth throughout the game.

22. Iron Duke

Iron Duke Registered User

Librarian
    Agree. Opinions on the challenge aside, if you are seeking to enforce the offside rule, you can't change the implementation of the rule based on context that never would have occurred if the play had been called correctly from the start. Those types of fixes are just muddying the waters.

You keep the challenge as it is or you wipe it out completely and allow no replay review (and don't ****ing ***** when your team gets screwed on a missed call).

23. Bertuzzzi44

Bertuzzzi44 Registered User

Agree with OP. It’s so stupid when a goal gets overturned after 2 minutes of solid zone time. Like the 10 second idea (could be 15) but if the defennding team momentarily gains possession (similar to a penalty call coming and the goalie out) then the goal cannot be overturned.

24. Bertuzzzi44

Bertuzzzi44 Registered User

Offside was put in place to prevent blatant cherrypicking. There were so many close offsides that went uncalled in the 80’s & it was awesome! During the last decade the linesman have gotten very good and a blatant miss rarely happens. The replays & micro analyzing of offsides is ruining the game. Viewing to see if a player's toe is over the line by an eight of an inch, or if his skate is completely on the ice from 10 different angles is ridiculous. Goals called back after 20+ seconds of solid zone time is also ludicrous. Either do away with coaches challenges and replays for offsides or make it sensible like the OP suggested.

25. Iron Duke

Iron Duke Registered User

Librarian
    Team X takes 26 seconds after zone entry to score. Team Y scores 6 seconds after zone entry. In neither case did the offside player play any role. Team Y is punished and loses the goal for being more efficient? I don't see this as any more positive a solution.