Time to Fess up, which player did you have to eat Crow over??

Kaoz*

You expect TS to become an elite centerman in the league. Nothing wrong with that, I feel that he has that capability. DK is an elite centerman in the league, and you still can't come around and admitting that he is. Perhaps you have a more strict definition of "elite" than most- which is fine. But I can just imagine that if (down the line, as a Dallas Star) TS were to lead the playoffs in scoring twice, you'd be the first one with the "I told you so" argument, citing his eliteness.

In a crow-eating thread, you come in here and say that you're "almost there" when it comes to admitting you were wrong about Krejci. Don't be surprised when people find that to be ludicrous. I just think it's inconsistent and stubborn.

I long ago learned that if you say anything bad about Krejci you can expect a war, so no surprise here.

And sorry, I can't... yet. Elite centerman drop more then 60 points a season imo. My definition of elite is very strict... there might be 15 or so elite centers in the game today. This year to date he's played like an elite center, and if he keeps it up I'll be eatin the old crow.... even though he'll still occasionally drive me mad with the crazy D blunder (it'll be far easier to stomach from a PPG center).

Sorry to disappoint you, Kaoz. When you're finished whining, maybe you can make some more salient points on this thread.

On the contrary Kirk, I thought I was clear, you didn't disappoint. I learned a new word after all. As for the direction of your post, it's what's to be expected around here. When I want insightful I read your blog (which if I haven't mentioned it lately is incredibly top notch --- no ********), when I want unfiltered Bruins blinder bias along with an established mob psychology that insists upon conformity on all things related to the team, I come here.

Last edited by a moderator:

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I long ago learned that if you say anything bad about Krejci you can expect a war, so no surprise here.

And sorry, I can't... yet. Elite centerman drop more then 60 points a season imo. My definition of elite is very strict... there might be 15 or so elite centers in the game today. This year to date he's played like an elite center, and if he keeps it up I'll be eatin the old crow.... even though he'll still occasionally drive me mad with the crazy D blunder (it'll be far easier to stomach from a PPG center).

A war?! Hardly. Call DK a 5th liner for all I care, just spare me the dramatic hyperbole in return.

To reiterate my point that you ignored: If a 27 year old TS had 2 playoffs as the scoring leader under his belt, you'd be be singing a much different tune than you are with respect to DK.

It's as simple as that.

Kaoz*

A war?! Hardly. Call DK a 5th liner for all I care, just spare me the dramatic hyperbole in return.

To reiterate my point that you ignored: If a 27 year old TS had 2 playoffs as the scoring leader under his belt, you'd be be singing a much different tune than you are with respect to DK.

It's as simple as that.

Feel free to point out the "dramatic hyperbole"... or is not calling him an elite center now considered dramatic hyperbole? Thanks for making my point.

And sorry, if Tyler Seguin had two 20+ point playoffs under his belt after 7 years in the league, leading his team with both, that wouldn't automatically make him an elite player either.

How he played away from the puck, and throughout each 82 game regular season up to that point would also play a hand in any such designation. Spare me the dramatic hyperbole. He lead the Bruins in points at age 20 in the regular season and tied for the lead in points in the playoffs on the team that same year... that hardly makes him elite now does it?

Let's revisit the travesty that has caused such strife on the Bruins board:
I was >-< this close to saying Krejci, then the first goal against the Isles yesterday reminded me why occasionally he makes me insane.

That said, that was really only the second time I took issue with him this year for a play like that, and have been nothing but impressed otherwise.... so there may be hope yet.

ohhhh scathing!!!!

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
:huh:

Wouldn't saying he is elite be top 10?... unless you have a very broad definition of elite....

I think there are only a few elite players and DK is not one of them, though DK is a genuine #1 center in my opinion.

You misread what I said. I'm saying you are waiting to "eat crow" because he isn't a top 10 center, but how many people here think he is a top 10 center? Or he will be? A minority. The majority thinks he is a top 20 center, and a guy that can be elite when it matters most. But no one around here expects 100 point seasons. They just think he is a super valuable piece to a Cup contender.

I just think you hold him to a standard that isn't reflective of what most people think he is.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I guess a lot depends on your definition of elite? Some people never like to admit they were wrong about anything :laugh:

Only guy I have been "wrong" about recently is Boychuck. After watching him regularly in the AHL, I thought that the issues he had there would keep him from becoming a decent NHL player (even after he was named best AHL d-man that year).

Was right about Soderberg (coming over), Hamill (sucking), and right about Marchand, Sobotka, McQuaid, and to a lesser extent (so far) Bartkowski (said he was better than Kampfer even when all here were in the throes of Kampfer love).

Ps as someone else mentioned, I was kinda wrong about Kaberle...I didn't think he could suck that bad :laugh:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Biggest thing I was wrong about was a coach, not a player. I actually thought that Dave Lewis was not that bad, as late as halfway through that season.

What as I thinking?

:shakehead :laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I thought Seguin was going to be a solid three zone player and leader

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Feel free to point out the "dramatic hyperbole"... or is not calling him an elite center now considered dramatic hyperbole? Thanks for making my point.

No, and that's not what I was referring to..

If you say anything bad about Krejci you can expect a war, so no surprise here

That's dramatic hyperbole. Along with terms like "travesty" and "strife." Oh you poor victim, being oppressed by the mainstreamers! Plenty of the "conformists" you rail against make criticisms of DK all of the time. You're suggesting that being critical of DK is some sort of cardinal sin around here.. it's not. You just encounter blowback with your Krejci criticisms because you look at him the same way Don Cherry looks at Russian players. You call out other posters' bias as if you are an impartial voice of reason. You're not, nobody is. We all have players we're partial to, yours is TS. Mine is Jordan Caron. :laugh:

And sorry, if Tyler Seguin had two 20+ point playoffs under his belt after 7 years in the league, leading his team with both, that wouldn't automatically make him an elite player either.
Nobody is saying that Krejci automatically became a #1C/elite player solely based on those two performances! My point is that you'd be chirping everyone on here if a 27 year old TS accomplished that feat in Dallas. And you would!

And I stated that I have a more liberal definition of elite than you, so we don't have to shift the goalposts to make this a debate exclusively over whether or not he is elite.. I doubt we see the day that he becomes elite by your definition.

My issue is with you referring to him as a "serviceable #1 center" in a crow-eating thread where people are supposed to admit when they were wrong about a player. It's quite petty. Everyone else is playing along nicely, come in say "I was wrong about.." and have a nice giggle. But you come in to update us on how you almost were going to admit being wrong, but not just yet...

Maybe it's me, but I just think it's a bit stubborn. But I'll leave you alone (to end such a "travesty" as you put it), and give you the last word (so make it count ;), I know you will).

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I thought Seguin was going to be a solid three zone player and leader

Why, and why? More importantly, what's with the fascination around turning every player into Patrice Begeron 2.0? Would it be so terrible to have a guy come in and be one dimensional, even if that one dimension is scoring? I don't mean this to be confrontational either, I'm genuinely interested in your reasoning behind this...

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Chortle. So much so I might get a bloody nose. :biglaugh:

I've been wrong, a lot... and I like it. There are two sides to me, the optimistic and hopeful fan and the fantasy land I've created in my head where I've somehow won the chance to be the Bruins GM (ala Little Big League).

I like being wrong about these guys because usually they're far exceeding my expectations. Never thought Lucic would be more than a 15g, 100+PIM guy. Loving it.

Bergeron - I was hopeful he'd be back and be back strong but I had no idea it would be as good as he's been. I'll still argue that he had a better one timer pre-Randy Jones but maybe that's just me.

There are countless others. I don't think I was wrong about Matt Lashoff, though. I never saw what others did. I was totally wrong about Karsums, Kalus and many others.

As far as Krejci - and maybe this doesn't belong in the thread - but if he is elite, it is a perfectly fair argument to suggest that his inconsistencies would hold him out of that category (if indeed we must define players as such). And it is also equally fair to point out that he was the highest scoring center in the league in each of the cup appearances.

I'm happy to keep being wrong - so long as we keep going deep sea fishun' for Stanley. :D

Kaoz*

No, and that's not what I was referring to..

That's dramatic hyperbole. Along with terms like "travesty" and "strife." Oh you poor victim, being oppressed by the mainstreamers! Plenty of the "conformists" you rail against make criticisms of DK all of the time. You're suggesting that being critical of DK is some sort of cardinal sin around here.. it's not. You just encounter blowback with your Krejci criticisms because you look at him the same way Don Cherry looks at Russian players. You call out other posters' bias as if you are an impartial voice of reason. You're not, nobody is. We all have players we're partial to, yours is TS. Mine is Jordan Caron. :laugh:

The fact that we're a page and a half in to this argument, on what was a relatively harmless post that both stated Krejci has been playing terrific hockey this year but he still has the ability to occasionally drive me insane with a bonehead play kinda goes to show it wasn't dramatic hyperbole, am I right?

As for players I'm partial too, there are a good many more then just Tyler Seguin. Kessel, Bergeron, Lucic, Thomas, Rask most of the current Bruins roster, Caron included... although I'm not nearly as sold on Spooner as others are (but I try not to say that too loudly too often as he appears to be on the Krejci fast track to Bruin Board stardom).

Nobody is saying that Krejci automatically became a #1C/elite player solely based on those two performances! My point is that you'd be chirping everyone on here if a 27 year old TS accomplished that feat in Dallas. And you would!

I'm not going to debate something as foolish as your assertion here, when all one needs to do is read through the last page to see how wrong it is.... and again regarding Seguin, no I wouldn't. He's already lead this team in points, the same team that had a healthy Krejci on it, and proved to be one of it's more effective players but I'd hardly consider him elite. Not sure how many different ways that needs to be said, but hopin' two is enough. His game has a long way to go, as do all 21 year old players not named Sid Crosby or Evgeni Malkin.

And I stated that I have a more liberal definition of elite than you, so we don't have to shift the goalposts to make this a debate exclusively over whether or not he is elite.. I doubt we see the day that he becomes elite by your definition.

My issue is with you referring to him as a "serviceable #1 center" in a crow-eating thread where people are supposed to admit when they were wrong about a player. It's quite petty. Everyone else is playing along nicely, come in say "I was wrong about.." and have a nice giggle. But you come in to update us on how you almost were going to admit being wrong, but not just yet...

Maybe it's me, but I just think it's a bit stubborn. But I'll leave you alone (to end such a "travesty" as you put it), and give you the last word (so make it count ;), I know you will).

Sorry, I didn't realize this thread was such serious business. I saw posts like this:
I hope I'm wrong on Soderberg, who I don't think is going to meet his LF hype.
and never realized we had to meet such a strict stringent optimistic criteria. Logic dictates that it had more to do with the focus of the content, not the presentation). I'd say I'll try not to be such a big meany in my posts from now on and play along nicely as well (which I can only assume means not saying anything bad about David Krejci even when justified) but we both know that isn't going to happen.

And shame on you for doubting him meeting my standard of elite as a possibility. He's shown he can do it, demand more of him instead of settling for a guy who is only elite when he feels like it and he just may.

As for the meaning of elite, using the "moving the goal posts" saying on your part is ironic. Doing so seems to be the standard of people who want to redefine the term to make a player bias passable. The very fact that you say you have a "liberal" definition of the term illustrates this nicely, as by definition being liberal with it makes it completely irrelevant. The Elite are a small group within the larger, when you expand that it becomes the norm.

While I appreciate the go ahead on the last word, your permission to it is about as relevant as your apparent application of the term elite.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Not a player, but Claude Julien, I thought he was totally wrong for this team, and then boom, Cup and Cup finals 2 years later. I was wrong.

I also thought Joe Colborne was going to be awesome.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not a player, but Claude Julien, I thought he was totally wrong for this team, and then boom, Cup and Cup finals 2 years later. I was wrong.

I also thought Joe Colborne was going to be awesome.

I was one of the minority here who although I saw the warts others were seeing, I also saw what he was trying to do, and with some tweaks to the lineup here and there, and a little give on his end of things, he`d be fine.

A rare occasion in which I was correct;)

The names tossed around as his replacement made me far more frustrated than the fans complaining about CJ to be honest...I mean Mike bloody Milbury was mentioned more than once:(

Not sure I thought Colborne was gonna be awsome but I definitely thought the kid looked like he had a heckuva skill set and in a few years.....

Charazard

Mar 24, 2013
Mississauga On
Krejci, rask and bartkowski. To be fair I never really saw Bart except for a terrible game against Montreal last year. Krejci could of been better and is finally doing it and rask is just Jesus on skates

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Thought they were going to be great and they sucked

Hannu Toivonen - I thought he'd become a top flight goalie. The guy was such a freak athletically and he looked great in Providence. Had a good first season before he got injured, but then completely fell off the map. I didn't really think Rask was needed at the time they traded for him.

Brad Isbister - So much optimism with that team coming back from the lockout and I thought Isbister-Thornton-Murray was going to be a big, dominant line. Didn't quite pan out the way I thought it would.

Andy Hilbert - Disappointing for his first few years but looked promising in Providence. I still thought he was primed for a breakout after a great AHL season during the lockout. Guy gets traded for a late pick.

Petr Kalus - I thought he'd be the best out of that wave of prospects of him, Krejci and Karsums.

Yuri Alexandrov - Not sure if this really counts as I'm sure the guy is doing fine in Russia, but I was expecting big things from him in Boston.

Ryan Button - The guy looked really good in I think it was his first camp, and then disappeared after that.

Thought they weren't going to be very good and they were great

Tim Thomas - Not even close. I couldn't get past his style and I was on the bandwagon of every Bruins goalie not named Thomas for his first few years (Toivonen, Fernandez, etc.).

Brad Marchand - I didn't think he'd suck but I didn't see anything more than third-line grinder in him.

Johnny Boychuk - To a degree anyways. I thought he just wasn't good enough defensively.

I called the Hamill bust though. Zhamnov as well, although I didn't think that injuries would be that much of a factor in it.

I don't think Colborne was that surprising. It's disappointing for sure, but he was always seen as a boom or bust prospect.

Last edited:

qc

Aug 23, 2011
The names tossed around as his replacement made me far more frustrated than the fans complaining about CJ to be honest...I mean Mike bloody Milbury was mentioned more than once:(

:laugh:

This was always my problem with the anti-Claude crowd. Whenever I asked who they'd want as a replacement, the answers were always inadequate.

I know he's not a hockey guy, but during the leafs series, Wiggy was lobbying to have Claude fired (shocker :sarcasm:). When Tony asked "who would you want out of the available coaches?" Wiggy said "Mike Keenan." I nearly swerved off the road. :laugh:

TootSweet

Sep 22, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I was clamouring for Marchy during 2010 flyers series. Was so happy to see him ripping it up a year later. The one guy that I thought was done but proved me so wrong was Andrew Ference. He was frequently injured early in his tenure with Bruins but 2011 sold me on him, and I felt terrible when I knew they were going to let him walk.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I'll bite.

Joe Juneau. Had a 49 jersey and everything. Thought he was the next superstar in Boston after that WJC and rookie campaign. He still holds the record for assists for a rookie. Didn't win the Calder though...

...something about a Finnish scorer setting the rookie goal scoring record that same year kind of diminished his accomplishment....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad