Time to consider Matthews contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
He has 3 years left and a NMC kicks in on his last year so we have him for this season and next then he walks free. Another Dufas mistake. That kind of money should have him signed for 8, not 5. I hate Dufas.

So do we try to trade him after next season or extend him. Dufas can't wait until the 3rd year with "trust". Matthews will be heading south of the border and we will lose him for free.

Whats he worth?

Trade or extend or perhaps a sign and trade.

Toronto can't keep nice things.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
No need to look at this until his last year.
He has complete control his last year. Can't wait until then. Something needs to be done at the latest 2 season from now. It will become more important as long as this off season. Its not dire yet, but next season will all be talk about Matthews.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
He has 3 years left and a NMC kicks in on his last year so we have him for this season and next then he walks free. Another Dufas mistake. That kind of money should have him signed for 8, not 5. I hate Dufas.

So do we try to trade him after next season or extend him. Dufas can't wait until the 3rd year with "trust". Matthews will be heading south of the border and we will lose him for free.

Whats he worth?

Can't extend him by rules of the CBA with 3 years term...better trade him
in just before thread closed

Reactions: NMacrules

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Your concern of resigning Matthews is valid but can’t take you serious when you call him Dufas.

When the time comes to negotiate with him and if he’s not interested or things aren’t going smoothly in dialogue we need to trade him. We can’t let him walk for free.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
My only worry about Matthews leaving after the three seasons would be if the team hasn't won anything yet/been in serious contention to do so. If so, that might very well be one in a list of problems surrounding the team.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth

Whats he worth?

Learn to spell the name of the GM and maybe , just maybe I'll tell you what he is worth

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Your concern of resigning Matthews is valid but can’t take you serious when you call him Dufas.

When the time comes to negotiate with him and if he’s not interested or things aren’t going smoothly in dialogue we need to trade him. We can’t let him walk for free.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the day we can extend him coincides with the day his NMC kicks in. Kid Kyle's inexperience strikes again.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Whats he worth?

Posts like these are laughable.

Clearly, he should be traded this off-season and we should enter a rebuild since we don't know what will happen with him in 3 years.

But since he has a contract that you don't think is fair (it is), we may need to attach a 1st to him to move him.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the day we can extend him coincides with the day his NMC kicks in. Kid Kyle's inexperience strikes again.

Unless you get a verbal commitment 6 months before his NMC kicks in, you move him. Pretty simple, even for this management group. Then again, it won't be their monkey by then.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The decision regarding matthews should be made next year.

A 6th 1st round playoff exit and him giving off the vibe he isn't committed to the organization and he needs to be dealt for maximum value with 2 years of term left

If we have a good playoff run we keep building with this core and stay confident that the team finally took a big step and will be a winner in the near future allowing us to retain matthews long term

I wouldn't want to keep Matthews if we get out in the 1st round again next year unless he publicly states he's signing long term (even then he could back track out but still would give me confidence he'd stay if he was saying that to the media)

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019

yeah I think it does. He needs to get a sense if he’s going to or not prior to that.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The contract should have been longer, but that's no reason to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Matthews has shown that he can be in the conversation for second best player in the world. Sometimes it's frustrating watching him when he doesn't do it, but he has shown that he is capable to dominating. His development hasn't been linear, but it has trended the right direction. He's the last guy we should be thinking about moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->