News Article: Time to Clean the House but Patiently

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I wonder how short of a leash the new GM will have? Chia deliberately sabotaged the remaining cap space in his last 3 moves/trades. No matter who the new GM is, he is handcuffed by the cap space hell. Hopefully he is ultra patient and at least is even or upgrading in every trade from now on. Team can't afford any more bad trades going forward. If he can get rid of Lucic and his horrible NMC contract, he'd be praised as a genius. That would be my first priority.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Last time I heard patience, and we're just going to make small addons and we have the ingredients but just fine tuning, the org lost their f***ing minds and Traded Taylor Hall for a swedish Jason Smith impersonator.

Never getting that one back. How could any org so devalue its own assets?

Doesn't matter what picks, drafts, acquisitions, trades, you don't get a Taylor Hall. No other team has a GM as idiotic as Chiarelli although it would be nice to be on the other end of one of these bonehead trades.

We can't have good things.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
People are saying the new GM needs to be patient. Outside of getting stupid and trading one of the big 3, I don't think he'll have a choice but to be patient. His hands will be tied anyhow for the first while.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
People are saying the new GM needs to be patient. Outside of getting stupid and trading one of the big 3, I don't think he'll have a choice but to be patient. His hands will be tied anyhow for the first while.

Can't move bad contracts out unless if there is sweetener (picks/prospects) involved. So yup, his hands will be tied for the foreseeable future. The best thing we can do is wait out some of the bad contracts (Manning, Benning, etc) and hopefully hit some of our draft picks out of the park

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The last thing Chia could do, besides the Koskinen deal and the Manning and Petrovic pickups, and whatever else, is pickup a coach who could continue the collapse of the season. Nice work. And all without any of the bosses noticing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Legitimate question. Would you rather persist with the Oilers management group, coaching staff and player personnel (McDavid included) as is and hope things resolve themselves over time, or would you accept a one time dispersal and expansion draft style reset under brand new management? This was an option I actively fantasized about as a Leaf fan prior to the Shanaplan, (which was essentially that).

Curious to see what Oilers fans think, since there's such a unique asset in McDavid on the ledger for you guys.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Gretzky made his first move in house cleaning as Talbot was moved and the return is a cheap back up goalie that can be buried in the farm if he seems to be a failure.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Unlike in previous years, the "seasoned prospects" in Bakersfield are giving me some hope.

Bear, Jones, Gambardella, Russell, and even Marody fits this a bit as he's an older collage player. I'm not expecting world beaters, but think of Pitlick or Slepyshev the year they made the team. If they can come in and properly complement the high end talent here, then this team already has a lot of the replacements it needs.

I think the next GM/coach/management need to stress not rushing players. This doesn't mean they need to over ripen, but a year and a 1/2 in the AHL needs to become the standard.

______-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Marody
Khaira-Spooner-Kassian
Gambardella-Brodziak-Russell

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Sekera
Russell-Bear/Jones/Persson

Koskinen
______

The one spot they do need is a quality RH forward for the top 6. No one elite, think of someone like Vanek or Perron. Someone who can put up points, play a shooters role, and not look lost with high-end talent.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
We need to find a way to clear cap so we can sign Hallsy and maybe Pany.

interesting thing about the Hall trade. In 2 of the 3 years, Larsson has been the better player. In the 1st year after the trade, Hall missed almost 30 games with an injury and finished 79th in scoring. That is on the very low end for 1st line forwards.

This year, injuries have limited him to 33 games as well. He is UFA after next year and his Hart trophy will get him paid close to what Mcdavid makes now. He is not coming back

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
It's annoying that Chiarelli was allowed to acquire two useless players in Manning and Spooner that have contracts persisting through next season. Just another burden for the 2019-20 Oilers the next GM will have to resolve.

Spooner is already in the AHL. I'd guess Manning can be traded for a late pick. The real problem is Lucic. That and mcDavid/Draisaitl contracts--which may be fair, but in today's NHL you need your stars to be earning way less than Market value, like Crosby in Pittsburgh.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
So far so good I figure with Keith as the controls. I know they are only small deals but at least he ain’t getting bent over like Chia

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Unlike in previous years, the "seasoned prospects" in Bakersfield are giving me some hope.

Bear, Jones, Gambardella, Russell, and even Marody fits this a bit as he's an older collage player. I'm not expecting world beaters, but think of Pitlick or Slepyshev the year they made the team. If they can come in and properly complement the high end talent here, then this team already has a lot of the replacements it needs.

I think the next GM/coach/management need to stress not rushing players. This doesn't mean they need to over ripen, but a year and a 1/2 in the AHL needs to become the standard.

______-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Marody
Khaira-Spooner-Kassian
Gambardella-Brodziak-Russell

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Sekera
Russell-Bear/Jones/Persson

Koskinen
______

The one spot they do need is a quality RH forward for the top 6. No one elite, think of someone like Vanek or Perron. Someone who can put up points, play a shooters role, and not look lost with high-end talent.
Spooner is out Gagner in: I think Samwise is an upgrade to Brodziak. If we can get Vanek or maybe Mikael Grandlund to play in the first line... would be great. I do not see Marody to make the team next year

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Team build patience? Fine.
Organizational building patience? No way in hell.

The whole team management and front office should be totally purged to the ground as if we were an expansion team, i mean totally

then you can be patient with yet another rebuild.

If point one is not addressed absolutely nothing else this team does matters.

the team has gone through coaches gms, had multiple rebuilds but one set of constants in this sea of fail is the people higher up making decisions.

Getting a new Gm and a new coach next year means nothing, Trading a few pieces to rebuild or try and get better now mean nothing.
I said the same thing in 2010.

It was stupid doing a full rebuild with Lowe and Tambellini being the guys over seeing it. It’s just as stupid to do another one (irregardless of what it’s being called) now with any of this front office staff. These guys have proven they don’t bring anything of value to the table. If Katz want to ask the fans for even more years of patience he has to fire his entire hockey ops department first. No more faith based, benefit of doubt for this group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->