News Article: Time to Clean the House but Patiently

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
The Oilers need to be patient, yet again

According to the blogger the Oilers should be patient and not to trade picks and prospects for the play off spot this year. Now the team is 6pts out of the play off spot and by the trade deadline it will be at least 10 pts. Now it is time to sell and sell what we can, though there is not much to sell. Talbot will give us the late round pick between 4-7, Chiasson 3rd and Benning 2nd. Kassian and Rieder may not be tradable.

I agree with the view but I do not see the situation as the end of the world. All bad contracts will be expired except Lucic after 2 seasons and things should be much better as soon as in the next season. There is enough money to sign top6 winger from UFA market and d-corps will improve internally as Klefbon, Nurse, and Jones are developing.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
2019-20
Draisalt McDavid Rattie
UFA RNH Puljujärvi
Lucic Khaira UFA
UFA Brodziak Kassian
Extra:cave
Situation is quite bad as there is a need for the 3rd line center as well but with good winger RNH will produce 90 pts apart form McDavid

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The real problem is how long are guys like McDavid and Draisitl going to be patient?

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
The real problem is how long are guys like McDavid and Draisitl going to be patient?
They must be patient based on contracts. Also bringing in one winger who can score and we have 2 scoring lines immediatly... 2020-21 there is even more cap space and situation entering to 2020-21 could be
Draisalt McDavid UFA
UFA RNH Pulju
Lucic Khaira Yamo
Benson Marody Rattie

And AHL pipeline may bring the fourth line in or at least 2/3 odf it. Only way is to bring in 2 top6 wingers and renew contracts and let d-corps to develop and the Oil is set to contend as soon as 2020-21 assuming that there is no full year work stoppage.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Debbie Mathers

Jul 5, 2018
Talbot will give us the late round pick between 4-7, Chiasson 3rd and Benning 2nd. Kassian and Rieder may not be tradable.
I really can't see Benning fetching a 2nd. I would actually be willing to bet decent money that he would clear waivers.

Rieder is not a problem - contract is up in the summer.

Kassian is not a problem either - decent player, if slightly overpaid.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
I think that's a great article, and in general the correct approach. People might not like the idea of waiting after how it's panned out before and after how long the team has struggled, but that doesn't mean it's the wrong approach, it just needs to be done intelligently. Impatience will just result in us burning off assets for short term answers, and ultimately spinning our tires in mediocrity for longer.

Prospect pool is building up a bit, we need to keep that going and just wait until the handcuffing contracts are gone.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Yep here we go again with the patience. Chia and company have screwed this team yet again.

Reactions: Aerrol

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Have no choice at this point. Get picks, draft what we can as best as we can, then hopefully the person coming in will be more efficient with contracts.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Interesting spot to be in as they could turn this around pretty quickly if only they had the cap space to make a splash in the UFA market, but that constraint means patience is the only real option.

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
They must be patient based on contracts.

You can make them be patient based on contracts but they might not perform if they don't want to be here. If a player really wants to leave, he'll get to leave eventually.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
We need to sell off any UFAs we have for picks/prospects and think of creative ways to get rid of bad contracts (easier said than done). Clean out the scouting department and bring in the best North American and European scouts to make the most out of our draft picks.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
It's annoying that Chiarelli was allowed to acquire two useless players in Manning and Spooner that have contracts persisting through next season. Just another burden for the 2019-20 Oilers the next GM will have to resolve.

Reactions: TB12

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Interesting spot to be in as they could turn this around pretty quickly if only they had the cap space to make a splash in the UFA market, but that constraint means patience is the only real option.
That’s overstated. We could have over 10 million in cap space easily with a few smart moves.

Reactions: B33K33PING

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
My patience with the team has just about worn out.

If they're not serious about winning why should I care?

Yeah this is where my mind has went to since they fell out of the playoff race. I feel fortunate to be a huge Raptors fan, they have kept me entertained during a lot of these dark years.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
they need to get players that have traditioanlly put up GOALS like a grabner or players of that ilk. cheaper contracts but can score

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Team build patience? Fine.
Organizational building patience? No way in hell.

The whole team management and front office should be totally purged to the ground as if we were an expansion team, i mean totally

then you can be patient with yet another rebuild.

If point one is not addressed absolutely nothing else this team does matters.

the team has gone through coaches gms, had multiple rebuilds but one set of constants in this sea of fail is the people higher up making decisions.

Getting a new Gm and a new coach next year means nothing, Trading a few pieces to rebuild or try and get better now mean nothing.

Reactions: TB12

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The Oilers need to be patient, yet againru

According to the blogger the Oilers should be patient and not to trade picks and prospects for the play off spot this year. Now the team is 6pts out of the play off spot and by the trade deadline it will be at least 10 pts. Now it is time to sell and sell what we can, though there is not much to sell. Talbot will give us the late round pick between 4-7, Chiasson 3rd and Benning 2nd. Kassian and Rieder may not be tradable.

I agree with the view but I do not see the situation as the end of the world. All bad contracts will be expired except Lucic after 2 seasons and things should be much better as soon as in the next season. There is enough money to sign top6 winger from UFA market and d-corps will improve internally as Klefbon, Nurse, and Jones are developing.
When they say now, that means between now and the TD, not this immediate moment. You need to have some patience yourself. As for all bad contracts expired, not even close to being true. Manning is in place for another year. Kassian has another year. Brodziak has another year. Cave has another year. Spooner has another year.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Lol. Old boys are like, “come on, Daryl, let us mess up a few more high draft picks”.

We don’t need patience, we need talent. And there’s few players on the team and in the system I’d consider untouchable as means to get that talent.

Our organization has proven that they can’t develop talent, so that’s not an option unless the new GM guts hockey ops and brings in a good management team with both observational and analytical scouts.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
I think that's a great article, and in general the correct approach. People might not like the idea of waiting after how it's panned out before and after how long the team has struggled, but that doesn't mean it's the wrong approach, it just needs to be done intelligently. Impatience will just result in us burning off assets for short term answers, and ultimately spinning our tires in mediocrity for longer.

Prospect pool is building up a bit, we need to keep that going and just wait until the handcuffing contracts are gone.
It is worth point out that you mentioned the key word impatience. When McTavish became a general manager he said in his first news conference "I am an impatient guy"... Se know the results. I am able to wait two seasons. After that we have only one bad contract in the form of Lucic...

Reactions: Cypress

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
We need to sell off any UFAs we have for picks/prospects and think of creative ways to get rid of bad contracts (easier said than done). Clean out the scouting department and bring in the best North American and European scouts to make the most out of our draft picks.
Amateur scouting is already in place what we need is good guys to scout NHL. I do not know if Eurpean scouting is that bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad