Time to Call Up Brannstrom

GoldenKnight

Jun 2, 2017
Las Vegas
The defence looks bad, and needs some new blood. I am tired of watching guys like Holden and Merrill bumble simple plays and make bad read after bad read.

We gave up a lot to be contenders this season, if you consider the 1st round pick (plus two other picks) we spent on an older roster player recently. Changes are needed to turn this sinking ship around before it's too late.

The Knights need a player who can make a simple tape to tape pass and make quick decisions with the puck on the left side. This is a good time to see what the next wave can do. Brannstrom has adjusted well in the AHL and can be a contributor right now. Worst case scenario is he doesn't impress and we send him back, but I think he'd win a spot for the long haul if he got the chance.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Twitter folks are saying Holden is a top 6 D that has made close to zero mistakes. I'm a little miffed that Bischoff wasn't given a shot during his call up. He showed something in camp and preseason.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Twitter folks are saying Holden is a top 6 D that has made close to zero mistakes. I'm a little miffed that Bischoff wasn't given a shot during his call up. He showed something in camp and preseason.

Whoever says Holden hasn't made mistakes doesn't know hockey. He's been worse than Theodore who I can give a pass to as he's only in his 2nd full time season. I thought brannstrom was injured? I'd take bischoff or anyone really. Next year I think we'll be up against the cap ceiling but the year after we should be able to spend decent money on a decent dman

Reactions: GoldenKnight

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Eh. I'm getting tired of that 'Brannwagon' stuff. He'll be a factor sooner than later but there's certainly no need to rush him. They tested him in several situations during preseason for a reason. Plenty of Wolves like Carr or Macek you never hear boo about from our media (some of whom referred to Glass as a 'future 3rd liner' btw).

Brannstrom will definitely benefit from 20+ AHL games or more. He'll really benefit from the WJC. It makes more sense to give 24 year old Bischoff a game first.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Eh. I'm getting tired of that 'Brannwagon' stuff. He'll be a factor sooner than later but there's certainly no need to rush him. They tested him in several situations during preseason for a reason. Plenty of Wolves like Carr or Macek you never hear boo about from our media (some of whom referred to Glass as a 'future 3rd liner' btw).

Brannstrom will definitely benefit from 20+ AHL games or more. He'll really benefit from the WJC. It makes more sense to give 24 year old Bischoff a game first.

I'm with you on this. Plus I think every single young player should stay in the AHL for least a year and mature, even the big star players.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I'll keep on thinking he should play in the A until WJC, play in that, and then get called up, I think McPhee also wants Schmidt back before he calls him up.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Brannstrom is going to force their hand here real soon. He is already better than some of the blueline options on the big club. They want to season him up a bit more which is cool and all, but he's on the cusp right now.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Brannstrom is going to force their hand here real soon. He is already better than some of the blueline options on the big club. They want to season him up a bit more which is cool and all, but he's on the cusp right now.

Schmidt is back in 5 games. Since McNabb and Miller have been playing together all year, that means Theodore will be his partner, which leaves Holden-Engelland as the 3rd pairing.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Last year opened my eyes to appreciate "locker room guys" and the hard working guys.

I'm no expert, but I would guess a year in the AHL will teach some humility and release some of the pressure young guys feel. Brännström will be a star, no need to hurry things and possibly even mess things up. Even if it would work just to trade for experienced top talents and win... I wouldn't care about that kind of success (and it doesn't work!!).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad