Time to bring up Hutchinson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
A backup goalie with a .500 record and .900 save % in a season where our record without sparks is .680 and will likely miss home ice advantage by a few points is the least of our team's problems right now? Oh..

Is Sparks the reason Andersen was pulled 2 straight? Is Sparks behind the team not closing the gap on Boston (who had last 3 straight!)? Is he responsible for the entire teams defensive breakdowns, giveaways, soft play, poor positioning and what looks like no drive at all lately? If so..... my bad.

Reactions: illusory

RLF

May 5, 2014
I liked Hutchinson's calmness over Sparks. That said, if we are talking about improving our backup situation and thinking it is going to help get wins...based on the way this team is playing, No, it won't. Carey Price could be brought in as backup and will still don't likely win the way we are playing.

Reactions: Cams

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Is Hutch back? Wasn’t he banged up?

If so, I’d say it’s worth a shot. Sparks is bad, and Hutch played a couple decent games with us in December. Then again he’s only been okay since going to the Marlies, though his numbers are improving. So even Hutch is a crapshoot.

If only we had a solid veteran backup that came in and exceeded expectations. That would be nice. No way we’d give that guy up.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Absolutely, players don’t feel comfortable with Sparks. I know we have a hodgepodge on D but Sparks is not an NHL goalie, period.
Pretty sure the goalies don't feel comfortable playing behind the team either. When you have 5 players standing around looking like they are fencing at the puck with sticks while two senators muscle their way for a goal then no goalie will look good.

Reactions: Cams

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He's 1-6 last seven decisions and people actually still argue it doesn't matter. Even if he was a bad 3-4, we have home ice against Boston. Wake up, it matters.
i agree it does matter but only for those who care about whats best for the team

however there's some people who couldn't give a damn how the team performs and only care about defending the Dube and knocking Sparkie is also knocking the Dube and that's is a huge no no

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
People blaming the back up for our efforts of late?
Back up is not the really problem. If Mcbackup had played the last game, leaf would have lost the game, may be 4~2 or 4~3 or 3~2 or 5~3 or 6~5 ....... However, Leafs just need to do something now.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Is Sparks the reason Andersen was pulled 2 straight? Is Sparks behind the team not closing the gap on Boston (who had last 3 straight!)? Is he responsible for the entire teams defensive breakdowns, giveaways, soft play, poor positioning and what looks like no drive at all lately? If so..... my bad.

Did I say any of those things or insinuate everything else was perfect? What does any of that have to do with Sparks still being TERRIBLE and needing more out of our backup goalie in future years, which YES could have easily been the difference in home ice this season if we simply got AVERAGE backup goaltending play?

To pretend he isn't a problem is asanine. This thread wasn't discussing OTHER problems like our defence or Freddy's slump, it's discussing the hole we have at backup goalie that can't seemingly stop a beach ball.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
i agree it does matter but only for those who care about whats best for the team

however there's some people who couldn't give a damn how the team performs and only care about defending the Dube and knocking Sparkie is also knocking the Dube and that's is a huge no no
Totally agree. All GM's make mistakes, you have to take their body of work when passing judgement. Each move should be judged, case by case, not these blanket defences for everything someone does. Dubas is a mixed bag so far. I will say I'm watching the Sparks angle carefully, it will show if he's stubborn or pragmatic. If Dubas doesn't have a viable alternative in camp next year, I'll question his judgement. He will though, Sparks contract reeks of non-commitment, a "hanging my a thread" deal with his agent.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Totally agree. All GM's make mistakes, you have to take their body of work when passing judgement. Each move should be judged, case by case, not these blanket defences for everything someone does. Dubas is a mixed bag so far. I will say I'm watching the Sparks angle carefully, it will show if he's stubborn or pragmatic. If Dubas doesn't have a viable alternative in camp next year, I'll question his judgement. He will though, Sparks contract reeks of non-commitment, a "hanging my a thread" deal with his agent.

The best he can do is bring another cheap waiver wire fodder. Don't expect some amazing goaltending out of the backup spot.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Yes, the reason for the team being putrid defensively is Garret Sparks..
IMG_0928.jpg

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
That was awful, but don't expect anything that much better out of a backup. We can not afford an expensive backup. If he can find a good backup for cheap, all the power to Dubas.

but that's the point sparks does things like that ALOT, he loses position all the time and lets out the juiciest rebounds.

Don't get me wrong its not his fault we are losing and playing poorly even in the games he plays but he doesn't help, or calm situations down at all

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Take away this past week when the whole team went into a funk. When Hutch was up you can tell he plays the game with calmness and is positionaly sound in his net. He plays much like Andersen in that regard. Team feels it and understands when they get running around Hutch will control a rebound, steer a puck into the netting or freeze the puck to stop the cycle.

Sparks on the other hand does neither and the team gets running around for minutes on end due to the wild erratic play of Sparks.

With Hutch or Andersen you knew they would keep you in the game and make a big save to either keep the score close or not let it get away.

You see goals like the one where sparks is half way into the corner and they score in the open net....players see that and know they don't have a chance. So next time he is in nets they know they gotta be perfect and something that hurts more than having Andersen stand on his head.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I think a stretch of games like this where goalies aren't saving their butts isn't a cause for concern. I just think that Freddy needs some rest and we need to go into the playoffs with him playing close to his best.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
OK, I admit it. I can't stand SPARKS.
I did however trust that Sparks was at least a capable backup. He isn't.

Sparks had just finished a masters apprentiship with the Marlies. Parts of 6 seasons played and capped it off winning everything a goalie could.
If you do not promote this player I don't know who you do? It did not work out.

Would have been the perfect cheap backup next year had he had a passable season this year. This I believe was the master plan.
Who will be the affordable backup in 2019-20 and Sparks was the better candidate than Curtis Mc was. I think Dubes was looking that far ahead and it bit him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->