Time for some Footie Reflecton:

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
1. Portugal's runs at Euro 2000 and the 2006 World Cup. Euro 2000 was the first tournament I watched and it was a great team. 2006 is likely the best I'll ever see from them at a World Cup.

One would assume it to be Euro 2016, but as I get older my emotional investment in sports continues to diminish, and coupled with the uninspiring way in which Portugal kept advancing, I didn't care about it nearly as much as I should have. No wins in a cupcake group, which was deflating. Then they begin the knockout stage with perhaps the most boring game I've ever seen against Croatia, a game so bad I would have turned off if I was a neutral, I nearly did anyway. I lost serious interest in the tournament from then on, even during the final I was watching half-halfheartedly, only briefly popping for Eder's goal. But thankfully, that experience provided me with the realization that even if the team I cheer for wins, it has no impact on my life, and I was unburdened from the irrational attachments that come with being a fan. I still have an interest, but the days of jovial enthusiasm are long gone. If they win, cool, if they lose, whatever.

2. -Euro 2004 final is by far the most crushing loss I've ever experienced in this sport. I was young and I cared too much.

-Semi-final loss at 2006 WC sucked too but wasn't as bad as 2004.

-Euro 2012 semi-final penalty shootout loss to Spain was a blow.

-2002 WC was a disaster. The naivety and ignorance of being a kid led me to believe they were going to destroy everyone, and then in the first game they're down 3-0 after 30 minutes to the f***ing USA. lol. I think they were legitimate contenders too.

-2014 WC was pathetic, a joke of a performance in all 3 games. I knew the team was shit though.

My club affiliations lie with Benfica, my support for them isn't that involved but I have a couple I'll mention for them:

-May 2013. They lost the league, Europa League, and domestic cup all in a span of a few weeks, and all to late winners.

-2014 Europa League final, dominated Sevilla but lost on penalties.

Last edited:

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
1.= Holland-Argentina at World Cup 1998, best match I ever saw and the Bergkamp goal. Dynamo Kiev and Shevchenko-Rebrov 1999 CL semifinalists big win over Madrid and crazy 3-3 game vs. Bayern. Russia beating France 3-2 at the Stade De France in June 1999 Euro 2000 qualifying.

2.= Holland losing to Italy at home in Euro 2000 semis a game they could have won 8-0. Russia-Ukraine tie on a goalkeeper blunder late in the last match in Euro 2000 qualifying. Russia was 5 minutes from qualifying directly to Euro 2000 in front of France and Ukraine. Ukraine would have finished 1st with a win as well.

Last edited:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
1. - "DROGBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
- Chelsea 6 - 0 Arsenal
- 2013 Europa League Final
- Chelsea 2 - 0 Man City, 2018
- thirteen game unbeaten run in 2016-17
- BVB's run in 2012-13

2. The tenth place finish

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Best:

Singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" while their supporters end was all but empty in the 70th minute was the greatest thing ever.

First thing Metro ever won. Still remember touching the Shield as it was paraded in front of 101

Worst:

The Curse of Caricola.

Traveling overnight to Columbus in 2016 for the first leg of the ECF, Metro gives up a goal seconds into the game. Late I'm thinking just get out 1-0, and the Crew score with minutes left to go up 2-0. Our 1-0 victory days later wasn't enough.

Last year: greatest MLS season ever and Atlanta kills us in the first leg. f***.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
1. Straight red card in my first college game appearance ever as a freshman in my home state, in front of my entire family in the stands (15-20 of em).
2. See #1

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'd rank the 2006 loss to Germany as worse than those Copa finals. That team was fantastic, imo the best Argentina team I've ever witnessed, they were the best team during that WC and should have won it all.

They're are many and Argentina were robbed that year. Germany's goal shouldn't have counted clear foul on Abbondanzieri. Also missed penalty on Maxi. There are many heartbreaks I choose the ones that hurt the most. Getting that close honestly was draining 3 years in a row. Even copa 2011 was awful

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
They're are many and Argentina were robbed that year. Germany's goal shouldn't have counted clear foul on Abbondanzieri. Also missed penalty on Maxi. There are many heartbreaks I choose the ones that hurt the most. Getting that close honestly was draining 3 years in a row. Even copa 2011 was awful
Chile is to Argentina as Icardi is to Dybala.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Oh, I actually thought of the "worst" club moment.

Dinamo Zagreb vs Newcastle Utd, 1997-98 Champions League qualifier.
First leg was 2-1 for Newcastle .

Newcastle scored the winner following an obvious foul on the goalkeeper at 8.15.
Well, looking at it 20 years later, I still think it's an obvious foul.

And then the return leg.

(feel free to watch that, lasts only 1m30s)

- Asprilla blatantly throws an elbow to the head of Dario Simic - no red card. No card at all actually. Literally in front of the ref and 5 meters from the touchline where the assistant is watching. Watch it. And tell me if you've ever seen anything like that go unpunished.
- Jon Dahl Tomasson falls by himself (though I guess convincingly), red card for Juric + penalty for Newcastle
- with 10 men, Dinamo equalizes through Simic
- with 10 men, Dinamo scores in injury time to make it 2-1 and force extra time
- in the 119th minute, Simic - who was absolutely phenomenal up til then, and would go on to start all matches for Croatia in their road to the WC1998 3rd place and carve out a nice career for himself at Milan and Inter - turns the ball over and Ketsbaia scores
- absolutely soul crushing after a valiant performance and being bent over by the refs repeatedly

I don't know why I didn't think of that game immediately.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Forgot about this in the initial depressing moments. Jack Grealish scores a weak long shot goal in the 89th minute to deny Brighton the title. Again it's tough to look back and be too upset as we did get automatic promotion, just sucks that Brighton pissed away the title.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Let's see.

Best
- Club Brugge winning the title at home against Vincent Kompany's Anderlecht in 2005, all we had to do was avoid defeat, it was tied 2-2 late in the game, that was probably the most nervous I have ever felt during a football game and the final whistle was such a huge relief
- Club Brugge again winning the title at home vs Anderlecht, in 2016, after some dark years with bad ownership, bad results, going 11 years without a title, the weight of that entire period on the players' shoulders and then destroying Anderlecht 4-0 in one of Brugge's best games I have ever seen
- The 2015 Belgian Cup final, again vs Anderlecht, being up 1-0 for a large part of the game only to see Anderlecht tying it up in the final minute. That final was played 3 days after we achieved an incredibly hard fought win at Besiktas in the Europa League round of 16, there were a lot of injuries, player were dead tired, and I'm 100% we would have gone on to lose in ET, however in the 90+2nd Lior Rafaelov scored a brilliant volley, a goal that has become iconic to Brugge fans, to win the Cup

- Barça beating Madrid 5-0 in 1994 - was still a kid then, but that was the moment I fell in love with Barça
- Rivaldo's incredible bycicle kick against that great Valencia team in 2001, final minutes of the final game of the season, must win, and he does that
- Ronaldinho destroying Madrid in the Bernabeu and getting applauded by Madrid fans
- 2-6
- Iniesta's injury time goal at Stamford Bridge
- 2011 CL final, the absolute peak of Pep's Barça, the magnum opus of that era
- the incredible final minutes of the 6-1 win vs PSG
- even though it didn't mean that much in the end, but Belgium's games against Japan and Brazil in the WC, that feeling of possibility, of potentially winning it, that hope around the country, the atmosphere of our group of friends when we were watching those games together. We'd never experienced something like that before.

Worst
- worst one I can think of where I was actually in the stadium: Club Brugge v Lyon, 2001-02 UEFA Cup. That Lyon team was in the early stages of their dynasty in which they won 7 consecutive titles. We steamrolled them 4-1 at home and were very confident we were going to eliminate them. However, in the return leg, Sonny Anderson scored two quick goals and from then on it was just 70 minutes of suffering, hoping. And just when it looked like we made it, one of our forwards made a dumb play, Lyon quickly countered and Anderson won it in the 93rd minute. Probably my first real memory of football heartbreak

- Seeing Michael Laudrup go from Barça to Madrid. My very first football idol, my favourite player as a kid. Had a little jersey of him, don't know what happened to it :laugh: When you're young you can't understand why he did that. Now I do though. Still love him.

- Belgium against Germany (WC 94) and Brazil (WC 2002) twice getting robbed by refs on crucial decisions

- Belgium v Wales at the 2016 Euro. Still makes me mad.

- Argentina v Germany. Both at the 2006 WC, and 2014 WC.

- The clasico in 2008, the end of Rijkaard's reign. Having to go to Madrid, the guard of honour we had to hand them, and then getting destroyed. That was f***ing embarrassing.

- Might as well add last Tuesday's fiasco against Liverpool. It's been a while since I felt that deflated/disgusted.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Oh, I actually thought of the "worst" club moment.

Dinamo Zagreb vs Newcastle Utd, 1997-98 Champions League qualifier.
First leg was 2-1 for Newcastle .

Newcastle scored the winner following an obvious foul on the goalkeeper at 8.15.
Well, looking at it 20 years later, I still think it's an obvious foul.

And then the return leg.

(feel free to watch that, lasts only 1m30s)

- Asprilla blatantly throws an elbow to the head of Dario Simic - no red card. No card at all actually. Literally in front of the ref and 5 meters from the touchline where the assistant is watching. Watch it. And tell me if you've ever seen anything like that go unpunished.
- Jon Dahl Tomasson falls by himself (though I guess convincingly), red card for Juric + penalty for Newcastle
- with 10 men, Dinamo equalizes through Simic
- with 10 men, Dinamo scores in injury time to make it 2-1 and force extra time
- in the 119th minute, Simic - who was absolutely phenomenal up til then, and would go on to start all matches for Croatia in their road to the WC1998 3rd place and carve out a nice career for himself at Milan and Inter - turns the ball over and Ketsbaia scores
- absolutely soul crushing after a valiant performance and being bent over by the refs repeatedly

I don't know why I didn't think of that game immediately.

To me it all looks like justice pure and true.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
- Belgium against Germany (WC 94) and Brazil (WC 2002) twice getting robbed by refs on crucial decisions

Ouh, that's a good one, the Wilmots goal disallowed for some reason. That was hilarious - in a sad way.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Forgot about this in the initial depressing moments. Jack Grealish scores a weak long shot goal in the 89th minute to deny Brighton the title. Again it's tough to look back and be too upset as we did get automatic promotion, just sucks that Brighton pissed away the title.

To me, this also looks like justice pure and true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad