Time for Rutherford to step aside?

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
I sure hope like hell he's not mediocre over the next 10 seasons, but let's be honest, he's not exactly a game breaker kind of player is he? Who knows, maybe he, Skinner and Dalpe or whoever, develop into a great scoring line. But I've yet to see anything to get my hopes to high on.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Is it not possible to judge and compare him with his play and role with the Penguins? People have no problem judging Alex Semin after 40 games. But, his name is Staal. I like him but I don't believe that he is a 2nd line playmaking, goal scoring C. I really thought he was super in Pittsburgh. Time will tell I suppose about many things.

staalaholic11

Jul 10, 2012
Boone, NC
I think he's doing just fine considering learning a new system and new teammates. He's 4th in team scoring.

Not everyone is going to adjust to a new team right away.

Look at James Neal for example he struggled like hell when he was first traded to Pittsburgh and turned it around last year.

He is perfectly capable of handling the 2C duties. He did hell of a job last year in that role when Crosby was concussed. Still put up 50 points in 62 games. When his line mates were Pascal Dupuis and Steve Sullivan.

He'll be just fine going forward.

I have faith in Jordan.

smi

Jun 14, 2011
Trade Jordan while he still has value.

Seriously though, his 10-year contract hasn't even started yet, and some are already losing hope. Ridiculous.

staalaholic11

Jul 10, 2012
Boone, NC
Trade Jordan while he still has value.

Seriously though, his 10-year contract hasn't even started yet, and some are already losing hope. Ridiculous.

It was no different when he was in Pittsburgh and signed the contract he's currently still on.

Fans would hate him and if he had a good game then he was great and then if he had a rough game then he sucks and should be traded.

Then here was a group where he could have a hat trick and they'd still find something wrong with him.

Just the way it is with Jordan.

lightningbolt444

Sep 1, 2010
I think Skinner has really killed that line since coming back from his concussion. Just not the same player to many giveaways takes shots when he should pass passes when he should shoot. Also WAY to much figure skating.

I think this team needs to be put in check at times. To me they have a ton of talent and they know it however I feel they play to fancy because of it not every play needs to be a highlight goal we need to get dirty which no one on the team has done on a consistent basis.

JR should be fired on the fact that he cant get to the post season alone. Then throw in the awful overvaluing of players by millions on what it seems every contract that is somewhat significant and not an entry deal and in my mind he should have been gone long ago. I cant even think of any other gm in the league that consistently overpays by a large amount the way JR does.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
The only problem I have with Jordan is the A they put on his sweater before they even handed it to him. How about you play your way into that A, chief?

--hank

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The only problem I have with Jordan is the A they put on his sweater before they even handed it to him. How about you play your way into that A, chief?

--hank

My argument there, Hank, is that he did play into it when he was in Pittsburgh. We gave Cory Stillman a letter before he ever played a game as a Hurricane. Other teams do similar things. The Jets made Olli Jokinen an alternate in his first season with them. Likewise with Ray Whitney in Dallas. If, and I doubt it would ever happen, the Pittsburgh Penguins traded Crosby, don't you think he'd be an alternate as soon as possible? Beyond that, had they not given the alternate captaincy to Staal, who would it have gone to? The current system seems to be one alternate is a dman and one is a forward, so which forward gets it? LaRose? Imagine how much complaining *that* move would have caused. I have no problem with Staal as an "A" on this team.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
My argument there, Hank, is that he did play into it when he was in Pittsburgh. We gave Cory Stillman a letter before he ever played a game as a Hurricane. Other teams do similar things. The Jets made Olli Jokinen an alternate in his first season with them.

Yes, but Olli Jokinen was sixty years old at the time, and has been playing on a top line since he signed with the Cleveland Barons in '77. I've got tube socks older than Jordan Staal.

Likewise with Ray Whitney in Dallas.

Yes, exactly.

If, and I doubt it would ever happen, the Pittsburgh Penguins traded Crosby, don't you think he'd be an alternate as soon as possible?

Yes, because when the best player in the NHL is traded from one team to another team, they pretty much always demote him from C to A. It's in the collective bargaining agreement, I think.

Beyond that, had they not given the alternate captaincy to Staal, who would it have gone to? The current system seems to be one alternate is a dman and one is a forward, so which forward gets it? LaRose? Imagine how much complaining *that* move would have caused. I have no problem with Staal as an "A" on this team.

Yeah, you're right. No sense in giving any visible leadership role to the most skilled player the franchise has ever put on the ice. That would be silly.

--hank

(p.s. Yes, this is largely hyperbole, and no, I don't think Semin deserved the A coming in as an unknown, but he damned sure deserves it now. And plenty of veteran guys could have handled that A, and yes, Rosie counts. For as much **** as Rosie takes around here, you could do worse than give a leadership role to a dude who works his ass off, leads by example to the best of his limited natural abilities, and is, by the way, the only guy left from the Cup team who's eligible to wear it.)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00