Time for NHL to Announce D.D.D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
mr gib said:
mr bettman wants to take the year off - they are not gonna offer the players anything they can accept - concerning soccer - the fans know the soccer the mls serves up is second rate - when celtic , man u came through 68 thousand in seattle and sellouts in new york -
that is my point soccer is really probably 4th rate here and that is the standard that professional hockey is headed here- in the last 6 years hockey has gone from being a competitor for the NBA dollar to competing against soccer! (i realize those were good numbers you posted for man u but the average americans opinion of soccer is pretty abysmal except for Mia and the US womens team-most men like a liitle violence in our sports and the thing is you have to really see hockey in person to 'get it' and the NHL needs to do a better job of getting americans to their FIRST GAME (1 game and my wife and i were hooked) it just does not translate to tv here worth a damn for the average joe planted on his couch -It would be worthwhile if somehow franchises could identify people to GIVE AWAY tix to for one game that have never been to a game because after that 1st one they WILL BE BACK FOR MORE-people accuse canes fans of being redneck nascar fans and speaking as a longtime earnhardt/petty : fan I LIKE HOCKEY BETTER as they would if they would just get to that !st game-btw you are the nicest poster i've seen using MR. with both healy and bettman
:banghead:

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
snakepliskin said:
that is my point soccer is really probably 4th rate here and that is the standard that professional hockey is headed here- in the last 6 years hockey has gone from being a competitor for the NBA dollar to competing against soccer! (i realize those were good numbers you posted for man u but the average americans opinion of soccer is pretty abysmal except for Mia and the US womens team-most men like a liitle violence in our sports and the thing is you have to really see hockey in person to 'get it' and the NHL needs to do a better job of getting americans to their FIRST GAME (1 game and my wife and i were hooked) it just does not translate to tv here worth a damn for the average joe planted on his couch -It would be worthwhile if somehow franchises could identify people to GIVE AWAY tix to for one game that have never been to a game because after that 1st one they WILL BE BACK FOR MORE-people accuse canes fans of being redneck nascar fans and speaking as a longtime earnhardt/petty : fan I LIKE HOCKEY BETTER as they would if they would just get to that !st game-btw you are the nicest poster i've seen using MR. with both healy and bettman
we are lucky here in vancouver having a run and gun team - i can see how others would feel ripped by the trapping and obstruction - its too bad - its gonna get better though - i think the powers that be are in the midst of a huge wake up call - some of my freind's chalk it up the the - apres gretsky hangover - ps - i like the canes -

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
WHARF1940 said:
what rant? dude chill. you are not the HF police!

What rant?

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.....

Business Thread turns into the rant board when theres no buildup or progression of talks. "F the PA", "F the NHL", "I won't be a fan"

It's all rhetoric BS that's been heard. There's a thread for that kind of stuff and it'd be nice to keep it that way

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
EricBowser said:
It is time Gary Bettman announced a drop-dead-date.

It should go something like this...

I am here to announce, if a new collective bargaining agreement is not signed and ratified by the Board of Governors and NHLPA by February xx, I will have no other choice than to cancel the season.

If the season is cancelled, I am compelled to advise the players, a deal made yesterday will be better than the deal offered tomorrow.

We are offering a six year term that can be re-opened by the NHLPA after the fourth season. We are offering the players a payroll range of $32-42 million per team with a luxury tax threshold at $37 million. A tax of 50 cents on the dollar over the threshold will go into the revenue-sharing pool.

We are offering guaranteed contracts in their current form and though we would appreciate the NHLPA to include the 24% rollback in an agreement, we can not allow it to hold up negotiations.

We are offering a 50-50 split in profits over $115 million if the NHL pays less than 54% of the revenues toward player costs.

We are offering to create a jointly appointed audit system to control team financial reports and penalties for teams who misrepresent the mandatory figures.

We are offering to create a jointly appointed committee to market the game on and off the ice. To help improve game rules to better entertain the games and make the game more enjoyable and safe to play on the ice

We are offering to pay 53% of all regular season and playoff revenues for this season to the players.

We are offering to revise the entry-level contract to enable teams to reward established, successful players. A four year contract capped at a base salary of $850k, $250k signing bonus, and $850k league mandate performance bonus levels is more than fair for a player entering the league. The reduction will allow teams to pay more established veterans closer to the league's average salary of $1.3 million or more.

We are offering to keep arbitration but allow teams to have the same rights as players. The inflationary results of the expired CBA have proven to be an unfair tool for the NHLPA to hold over teams who are trying to properly run their business.

We are offering a tiered qualifying offer system that will not reduce the prior season salary of any player being paid less than $850k. Players between $850,000 and $1.3 million will receive 90%, 80% between $1.3-3 million and 75% over $3 million.

We are offering to reduce unrestricted free agency to any player 30 years of age or older and having served his ELC. Any player who has completed 8 contract seasons at the age of 28 or older can file for unrestricted free agency after the 2006-2007 season.

We are also increasing the minimum salary requirement to $300,000.

If the players agree to the above offer, the owners have agreed to create a revenue-sharing system that will require all 30 owners to share revenues in the regular season and playoffs to pay between $150-200 million into the pool.

This is our best and final offer before the season is cancelled and we feel 100% in our belief that if it does not lead to an agreement, we have done everything in our power to give the players what they have asked over the last few months.

I will refrain from anwering any questions until February xx, at that point if no agreement is in place, I will be more than willing to answer all your questions, until then the clock is ticking and everyone has work to do.

Thank you

Since you put it that way. :handclap: :handclap:

To the average person with any kind of real life business experience this offer sounds more than reasonable and worth trying for 4 years. To the average citizen that sounds and thinks at the level of a Glen Healey, Bryan McCabe, Robert Esche, Daniel Alfredson, Chris Pronger, Chris Chelios, Todd Marchant and a few others all they can think of is "I only have 3 pay periods left so I might as well take the entire year off rather than work for a hundred grand or so". In other words = screw the fans, screw the game, screw the NHL and most of all take a big bite from the hand that has fed you all well".

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
snakepliskin said:

Soccer's growth potential suddeny looks a lot better than hockey. Digital Cable&Dish channel Fox Sports World has changed it to Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Sports has dropped most of the Rugby and Cricket ( about 1/3) stuff to go all soccer, this and another distant channel Gol are all soccer all the time with basic addon sports subscriptions to Digital cable or Dish, they are packaged with NBA network and Regional FSN stations. I don't see the NHL network getting in those packages anytime soon. The USA is getting its biggest growth in the hispanic and Asian demographics, and guess which sports they identify with, it ain't the NBA or NASCAR. While Bettman's strategy seems to be to take a few years off and relaunch the NHL how radioactive will this leauge be to advertisers and sponcers?

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
rekrul said:
Soccer's growth potential suddeny looks a lot better than hockey. Digital Cable&Dish channel Fox Sports World has changed it to Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Sports has dropped most of the Rugby and Cricket ( about 1/3) stuff to go all soccer, this and another distant channel Gol are all soccer all the time with basic addon sports subscriptions to Digital cable or Dish, they are packaged with NBA network and Regional FSN stations. I don't see the NHL network getting in those packages anytime soon. The USA is getting its biggest growth in the hispanic and Asian demographics, and guess which sports they identify with, it ain't the NBA or NASCAR. While Bettman's strategy seems to be to take a few years off and relaunch the NHL how radioactive will this leauge be to advertisers and sponcers?
bettman seems to be willing to take that chance -

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
rekrul said:
you are correct about the influx of asians and hispanics but there is a potential available market here that the NHL has barely tapped into yet and i really am not a racist but the "hip hop" culture of the NBA and players taking 1 yr of college and jumping to the NBA has really turned off a huge part of both the NBA and NCAA "traditional" (not a racist term) fan base like myself--there are a lot of people and most are in the southern US (not because the south is racist but because they really hav'nt taken the opportunity yet to see and NHL game in person) that just have not "discovered" the game yet and that is where a potential growth market is in the states-however, whenever it appears that millionaires have shut down a sport squabbling on how to split a 2billion plus pie it makes it really tough to get new people interested in it. and in my opinion this has really hurt prospects for the NHL but if the NBA shuts down with the wavering support it still has from some -those will cut them off and maybe discover the NHL

chiavsfan

Soccer is one of the most boring and slow sports in the UNIVERSE (but part of one of the greatest "Simpsons" episodes ever).

I understand that it is huge everywhere (including the Chicago burbs). But soccer has been tried in every form in the states, and the only thing that gets decent ratings is the World Cup. The womens league folded, MLS here in Chicago plays to crowds of about 4 thousand, and this is the 3rd soccer league that has been around in Chicago.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
snakepliskin said:
you are correct about the influx of asians and hispanics but there is a potential available market here that the NHL has barely tapped into yet and i really am not a racist but the "hip hop" culture of the NBA and players taking 1 yr of college and jumping to the NBA has really turned off a huge part of both the NBA and NCAA "traditional" (not a racist term) fan base like myself--there are a lot of people and most are in the southern US (not because the south is racist but because they really hav'nt taken the opportunity yet to see and NHL game in person) that just have not "discovered" the game yet and that is where a potential growth market is in the states-however, whenever it appears that millionaires have shut down a sport squabbling on how to split a 2billion plus pie it makes it really tough to get new people interested in it. and in my opinion this has really hurt prospects for the NHL but if the NBA shuts down with the wavering support it still has from some -those will cut them off and maybe discover the NHL

While the NBA has lost some of its hard core base ( and yea i was once a NBA&NCAA fan now its unwatchable IMO ) and its followed the general trend of all sports, even the NFL, in decline in TV ratings. THey still have'casualfan' because of the soap opera of Kobe or the Lebron overhype reaches the pop culture very easily. Plus ESPN has gone all basketball, given that AND you have a East coast centered US Media that loves the game. I mean thier players can go into the stands and beat the snot out of thier fans an who cried for an end to the NBA like they did after the Burtuzzi incident. FIrst off the NBA will not shut down, ESPN will not allow it, I doubt there will even be any type of lockout. But even if it did the NBA couldn't go away like the NHL might. 'hockey' has succeded more so than the talking heads will accept, the ECHL is successful, their are a ton on Minor leagues in Texas and Rinks are opening here in California. But its still grass roots, IE hard core fans, the casual fan introduced to hockey in 94 has steadily left. Its still possible to bring new fans in, after all NASCAR is hated by the east coast media as well and its one of the few true 'growth' sports out there, but its going to take a monumental inspired effort to relaunch the NHL. I have zero confidence in Gary&Co to acomplish this.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
chiavsfan said:
Soccer is one of the most boring and slow sports in the UNIVERSE (but part of one of the greatest "Simpsons" episodes ever).

I understand that it is huge everywhere (including the Chicago burbs). But soccer has been tried in every form in the states, and the only thing that gets decent ratings is the World Cup. The womens league folded, MLS here in Chicago plays to crowds of about 4 thousand, and this is the 3rd soccer league that has been around in Chicago.

MLS sucks because their is no tradition and the players are 3rd rate on the world scale, but English Premeire League ( EPL ) can have some desent matches, and downright intense match ups like ManU V Arsenal. thats just my opinion, but the fact is Fox is throwing its weight of a cable chanel to All soccer, hockey couldn't get its "NHL Network" beyond where it is now in Canada no matter if they paid for the time its self. Thats how 'radioactive' the NHL has become with Bettman in charge, Despite generaly speaking capacity crowds overpaying to watch the game live. 5k show up for MLS but the Cable and Satalite channels are giving 2 fulltime soccer only stations. sorry folks for Soccer is comming, all it takes is a Feddy Adu, or pretty boy Landon DOnovan, a lot of NIKE hype and they swoop in where Hockey was.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
espn is probably the most popular network in the states now-they have a piece of the nba and nfl (not to mention poker). i think the nhl (either in partnership with espn or nbc or even on their own) should launch their own network similar to the golf channel or Gol or fox soccer-at an affordable price to the consumer or even better yet and bite the bullett and offer it free and live off the advertising revenue--and really with the many regional fox sports stations that would be a network already in place--the NHL really needs some leadership with and open mind and a bright vision both of which they lack right now

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
chiavsfan said:

"Who is the greatest country in the world....Spain, or Portugal?"

:joker:

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
chiavsfan said:

you're right - american's will never understand soccer - some will never understand hockey either -
a little to lofty for most of em -

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
rekrul said:
MLS sucks because their is no tradition and the players are 3rd rate on the world scale, but English Premeire League ( EPL ) can have some desent matches, and downright intense match ups like ManU V Arsenal. thats just my opinion, but the fact is Fox is throwing its weight of a cable chanel to All soccer, hockey couldn't get its "NHL Network" beyond where it is now in Canada no matter if they paid for the time its self. Thats how 'radioactive' the NHL has become with Bettman in charge, Despite generaly speaking capacity crowds overpaying to watch the game live. 5k show up for MLS but the Cable and Satalite channels are giving 2 fulltime soccer only stations. sorry folks for Soccer is comming, all it takes is a Feddy Adu, or pretty boy Landon DOnovan, a lot of NIKE hype and they swoop in where Hockey was.

I wouldn't mind paying $3 per month for the NHL Network

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
mr gib said:
you're right - american's will never understand soccer - some will never understand hockey either -

This American can only say, "Bingo."

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
mr gib said:

and yet it's about at the same level in the states as it is in Canada.

I guess it's a little "lofty" for Canadians as well as their southern barbarian neighbors.

:shakehead

chiavsfan

I think the biggest problem with the PA stance right now, is that they "think" hockey is still a top-tier sport in America...North America maybe (including Canada). The problem is, this no longer rings true

1) NFL
2) MLB
3) NBA
4) NASCAR
5) Poker
6) Tie: Arena Football and Hockey

It's sad to say, but people would rather watch bluffing (poker) and cars going in a circle, than they would the fastest game on earth.

The PA has to learn (as do the owners) that as long as the game continues in the way it is...salaries withstanding...that the NHL wil never be able to get itself back into the top 3 or 4

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
Greschner4 said:
This American can only say, "Bingo."
not only bingo but we can say Touchdown! Earnhardt takes the checkered flag! and my personal favorite "Bomb France if they don't like it!" aslo we can say "Game ON!" and "Fire Goodenow and Bettman!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad