Time for me to Pay it Forward... Kelly Hrudey bandana

KingsFanInRI

Waiting 4 next year
Aug 27, 2005
Outside Providence
Through the kindness of several of you on this board I have been able to acquire certain SGA's that I otherwise would have no shot at getting, so now I have the chance to give back.

March 9th is Kelly Hrudey night and it just so happens that I will be in LA and at that game. As part of the night they will be giving away bandanas.

I read comments from some of you about wanting to get one, and since I will have two I would be glad to forward them to anyone interested.

If I get one request for them I will be glad to send both, otherwise the first two to ask will be able to get one each.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
If anyone else gets an extra I would love one of these too. Until Quick came along Kelly Hrudey with his Hockeywood mask was always my favourite. I am curious about this though, since Kelly Hrudey just wore a blue one, what will this look like? It would be kinda cool if it was a bandana version of his mask.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
If anyone else gets an extra I would love one of these too. Until Quick came along Kelly Hrudey with his Hockeywood mask was always my favourite. I am curious about this though, since Kelly Hrudey just wore a blue one, what will this look like? It would be kinda cool if it was a bandana version of his mask.

A little back story on Hrudey's bandana, which was from a shirt that he turned into a headband to prevent sweat from getting in his eyes.

Kelly+Hrudey.jpg

http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=504173
There was a practical function, I was not superstitious. It started because you may remember that I always had long hair and I wore contact lenses as well. If anyone has contacts they know how the sweat really bothers their eyes. Obviously playing goal it is not a great thing if your contacts are moving around and your eyes are bothered. So I tried a whole bunch of different things and finally one day during practice when I was still in New York I ripped up one of the t-shirts that we wore underneath and made it into a bandana. Lo and behold it happened to be the most absorbent thing that I had tried and the next thing I knew it had kind of become a trademark. I wanted to get rid of it and I actually had some friends who convinced me later on that it was too much of a trademark and I should keep it. So I did, reluctantly for the last part of my career.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I'm surprised that Hrudey was against the bandana at the end of his career. Nothing against Hrudey's goaltending, because he was decent, but he stood out from other goalies of the same caliber because of that bandana.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad