Jul 4, 2011
New-Brunswick
aeta.jpg

BYhdlM2IYAEQY24.jpg:large

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Patrick Lalime started his career 11 - 0 - 1 or something like that. Look where he ended up - mediocre goalie who never won anything. Don't get all high on Lehner when we have a bonafide #1 in Andy between the pipes.

This is the first place Andy has been a "#1" and he's never started 60+ games to my knowledge. He's a glorified backup that gets super hot in spurts. He won his first playoff round at age 30. He's immesely streaky. He gets fluke injuries more often than James Reimer.

Lehner is it and he has "it". He's a winner and he has that ability to make clutch save after clutch save. When this team reaches the finals it will be Lehner backstopping them, not Anderson. Anderson is and always has been a stop-gap until a team gets a real #1. After he's done here he'll go to some other team, post eye-popping numbers over 5-20 games and someone will overpay him.

And the Lalime that you so callously disrespected? Our winningest playoff goalie excluding Raymond Emery. Oh, that's if you don't count Lehner winning an AHL championship, of course...

dasboot

Jajajaja
Sep 12, 2010
Did everyone see him walking in to the dressing room before the game? they showed on cbc him in his black leather and crazy mofo look on his face. most badass entrance i've seen of a hockey player. looks like he watches sons of anarchy.

Anyone have a pic/video of that?

BYgeqHYIEAA4ett.jpg

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I love Lehner but we're not trading Anderson this year. Not with our #1 pick belonging to Anaheim. Reliable goaltending thru injuries is a must this year.

Agreed, no need to trade Anderson this year. Just make him more of a backup to the better and much more talented goalie or at worst because you want to defer to the veteran and show him some respect and thanks for keeping the seat warm for Lehner, you have the two of them split time with the one who performs best, getting the lion share of starts. You trade Anderson either at the deadline or after the season. Pretty dang simple as to how this should play out and what the proper scenerio should be. Lehner is ready to take the full-time gig and so why wait any longer?

Al Yashin

Nov 8, 2013
Ottawa
Agreed, no need to trade Anderson this year. Just make him more of a backup to the better and much more talented goalie or at worst because you want to defer to the veteran and show him some respect and thanks for keeping the seat warm for Lehner, you have the two of them split time with the one who performs best, getting the lion share of starts. You trade Anderson either at the deadline or after the season. Pretty dang simple as to how this should play out and what the proper scenerio should be. Lehner is ready to take the full-time gig and so why wait any longer?

Showing respect is overrated. It's a catch 22, if you want to trade Anderson, you need to play him, to get his value up, but at the same time Lehner is clearly off to a better start, and the Sens have been playing better in front of him. I have a hard time seeing Anderson in Ottawa for a long time, given injury history. If you're going to make a trade including a goalie, do it before the market it saturated in a couple months and value won't be the same.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
This is the first place Andy has been a "#1" and he's never started 60+ games to my knowledge. He's a glorified backup that gets super hot in spurts. He won his first playoff round at age 30. He's immesely streaky. He gets fluke injuries more often than James Reimer.

Lehner is it and he has "it". He's a winner and he has that ability to make clutch save after clutch save. When this team reaches the finals it will be Lehner backstopping them, not Anderson. Anderson is and always has been a stop-gap until a team gets a real #1. After he's done here he'll go to some other team, post eye-popping numbers over 5-20 games and someone will overpay him.

And the Lalime that you so callously disrespected? Our winningest playoff goalie excluding Raymond Emery. Oh, that's if you don't count Lehner winning an AHL championship, of course...

He's had 2 seasons where he had 60+ starts, but I agree that calling him a bonafide #1 goaltender is a bit of a stretch. He's had excellent stretches, and only one, very good full season.

The EnigmatiC Soul*

Careful, having a different opinion than Main causes backlash. Especially don't chat in his streamed games differing opinions because he just kicks you out. Its ridiculous.

I got a pm from a newly created account that basically told me to stop bashing Main because you don't understand what he has gone through.

What's that even mean?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Remember a few yrs back, Thomas was struggling in Boston & Rask came in & played great. Then the playoffs came & Rask played well but they still lost in the playoffs. The following yr Thomas became the starter again & people were all wondering why & then he led Boston to a SC against Vancouver. It's good to have two very good goaltenders, especially a young one & a veteran, both can come in handy during the yr & when you need to win games to move up in the standings. A veteran is good to come into games & settle everyone down. One guy can't carry the team all yr, we have had crappy backups in the past & they have cost us games & our #1 got tired playing so much. Two good goalies is better than one or none. I would wait until next season to move Anderson, he might be worth a little more in the last yr of his contract. Unless of course someone offers BM a deal he cannot refuse.

Last edited:

Al Yashin

Nov 8, 2013
Ottawa
He's had 2 seasons where he had 60+ starts, but I agree that calling him a bonafide #1 goaltender is a bit of a stretch. He's had excellent stretches, and only one, very good full season.

The conventional notion of a bonafide starter has changed. It's not the same as it was pre-lockout era, where goalies tended to stay with one team for a long time, and teams didn't really have issues with 1-2 tandem ambiguity. Besides Henrik, Quick - what other new goalies have been able to be a #1 without any questioning to their ability to be the clear #1, without competition form a backup? I can't really think of any other team (Brodeur is pre-lockout) But the goalies like Luongo, Thomas, Anderson, Niemi, Price etc, have had stints where there starting role was questioned.

I think given that Anderson has had 2 solid seasons hes eems like the typical post-lockout starter.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Remember a few yrs back, Thomas was struggling in Boston & Rask came in & played great. Then the playoffs came & Rask played well but they still lost in the playoffs. The following yr Thomas became the starter again & people were all wondering why & then he led Boston to a SC against Vancouver. It's good to have two very good goaltenders, especially a young one & a veteran, both can come in handy during the yr & when you need to win games to move up in the standings. A veteran is good to come into games & settle everyone down. One guy can't carry the team all yr, we have had crappy backups in the past & they have cost us games & our #1 got tired playing so much. Two good goalies is better than one or none. I would wait until next season to move Anderson, he might be worth a little more in the last yr of his contract. Unless of course someone offers BM a deal he cannot refuse.

Are you talking about the 3-0 blown lead? I maintained Thomas should have been starter the final games, rask wasn't that good imo.

I can already foresee it on here, the same people who want Andy gone will complain when lehner begins to struggle and shooters adjust to him.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
It doesn't bother me whether we have Andy+Lehner or Lehner+backup, but Andy has been a professional and an outstanding goalie for us, so as long as we treat him with respect like we have with Fisher and others in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->