Time for Lehner to start more.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
I think it's time for Lehner to get a regular rotation of starts. Something like 1 in 3 to get going. Andy is finding his consistency, and Lehner can give the team a boost. It gives both goalies a chance to get on a roll.

sens4life

May 15, 2007
Reality
I think it's time for Lehner to get a regular rotation of starts. Something like 1 in 3 to get going. Andy is finding his consistency, and Lehner can give the team a boost. It gives both goalies a chance to get on a roll.

If by Lehner, you mean limit Karlsson's time, then yes.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Yep agreed. Lehner is our future number 1. Hes a sexy goalie, If it were up to me i would split the games 50/50 between him and andy

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
Anderson seems to often give up early goals. Lehner seems to give up one bad goal through the course of a game. Both generally play lights out for the remainder. I'd agree on giving Lehner the next start and then going from there.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We don't need to make him angrier that he normally is

Anderson hasn't been the problem; it's a team system issue

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
I actually dont want Lehner to have the next start, he loses to Chicago and he wont see another game for a while. Rather Anderson go next start.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Lehner needs to play if he's going to develop into the goalie most posters believe he can be. At a minimum he should be playing half the games right now. Anything less will only Pejorative Slur his progress.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
We don't need to make him angrier that he normally is

Anderson hasn't been the problem; it's a team system issue

It is team between the ears issues... they read in the paper and magazines that we should be a Stanley Cup contender this season and they believe they do not have to show up to any games. They need to remember what they were playing for last season.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Should be 50/50 starts.

Andy has been very inconsistent. He's either really good or kinda meh. Tonight he just couldn't make the big momentum changing save. Is typically a slow starter to the season.

Lehner has been great in all but 1 period. Definitely deserves more starts. I expect him to start the next game.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Andy is number the 1 and Lehner has to earn his games but if there is one area I don't always agree with Stache it's in the selection of the goalies.

Lehner should have played Sunday in the Sharks game. It's too long for Lehner to sit and then toss him in against Chicago when they both could have had a game on the weekend. Andy has shown he most always has a good 1st game when sitting a while so he'd be least bothered going Friday and then the next game Wednesday.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It is team between the ears issues... they read in the paper and magazines that we should be a Stanley Cup contender this season and they believe they do not have to show up to any games. They need to remember what they were playing for last season.

Well said. Agree 100%.

As for starts, I'd like to see about a 52-30 games split between Anderson and Lehner.

Andy is definitely our number one, but Lehner is a young guy, and he does need some significant starts if he's to transition into our #1 in a few years.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Yeah sure, whatever

I'm certain that a guy like Jason Spezza, a guy who's been playing comptetive hockey for almost his entire life read an article in the Citizen and made the decision that he didn't need to play hard and wished away his competitive spirit on the spot due to Scanlan claiming that they were contenders

Yeah that makes a ton of sense

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Yeah sure, whatever

I'm certain that a guy like Jason Spezza, a guy who's been playing comptetive hockey for almost his entire life read an article in the Citizen and made the decision that he didn't need to play hard and wished away his competitive spirit on the spot due to Scanlan claiming that they were contenders

The guy went to Murray after he was BOOOED and enquired about a trade. The guy is a flake, I'm just happy he produces enough offence to overcome his deficiencies.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/spezza-wouldn-t-object-to-trade-murray-1.966322

WhiteLight*

I actually dont want Lehner to have the next start, he loses to Chicago and he wont see another game for a while. Rather Anderson go next start.

Not true. If Lehner loses 2-1 and makes 47 saves, he should play the next game obviously.

Lehner just gives the team a better chance to win. He should play.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Right now Anderson has a .920 SV % and Lehner has a .940 SV %.

Think how ridiculous those numbers are for our pair of goalies. If, to win games, we need a goalie to be .940 over a guy who's .920 you better just call it a season because you have a terrible hockey team at that point.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Not true. If Lehner loses 2-1 and makes 47 saves, he should play the next game obviously.

Lehner just gives the team a better chance to win. He should play.

Not if those two goals were weak goals which Lehner (if you were to believe that Anderson lets in weak goals) also lets in at least one weak goal a game.

I'd love to have someone quantify exactly how Lehner gives us a better chance to win. Seeing as he's yet to win a game this year and his record last year when Anderson was out was 5-3. Just saying "he's better" over and over again doesn't make it so.

Will he better? Sure, he's got the higher ceiling. But to say he's clearly better than the guy who's SV% as a Senator is hovering around .930 is laughable.

WhiteLight*

Not if those two goals were weak goals which Lehner (if you were to believe that Anderson lets in weak goals) also lets in at least one weak goal a game.

I'd love to have someone quantify exactly how Lehner gives us a better chance to win. Seeing as he's yet to win a game this year and his record last year when Anderson was out was 5-3. Just saying "he's better" over and over again doesn't make it so.

Will he better? Sure, he's got the higher ceiling. But to say he's clearly better than the guy who's SV% as a Senator is hovering around .930 is laughable.

Lehner doesn't let in a weak goal every game, and probably lets in less than Anderson.

Lehner is better because he has a higher save percentage and is more talented goalie. Not his fault the Sens don't support him when he plays.

He needs playing time to develop, let him play.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The guy went to Murray after he was BOOOED and enquired about a trade. The guy is a flake, I'm just happy he produces enough offence to overcome his deficiencies.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/spezza-wouldn-t-object-to-trade-murray-1.966322

Oh please. Spezza could have done a lot of things. He has stuck through thick and thin with this organization despite how he's been mistreated not only by the fans but also by the management early in his career. He also was on the side of management throughout the Heatley ordeal.

Just another unappreciative entitled fan though. Just as clueless as the bunch that booed him in the playoffs and Gonchar last year. Fairweather embarrassing Ottawa fans.

Also Anderson is still clearly better than Lehner. Can't Blane Anderson for any of our losses this year...Lehner was the #1 reason we lost in his only start. But we lost last game with Andy so you know how it goes...

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
We need Anderson to play so he can regain his form.

Firstly, this will help us win games, and secondly so we can get more when he is eventually traded.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah sure, whatever

That's not it at all.

The guys played desperate hockey all season last year. They had an unbelievable amount of success for the key injuries they had, and in turn virtually everyone out there has been lauding their accomplishments for nearly 6 months.

Whether you believe it or not, that does tend to play on a person's psyche a bit. It's not hard to start believing that maybe the team is a bit better than it really is, that somehow with a full lineup wins will start getting easier, that 'desperation hockey' is not longer required to pull out a win.

This league has so much parity, that if you let your foot off the gas just a teensy tiny bit, that's often enough to flip from the win column to the loss column.

I really do believe that is one of several reasons why this team is inconsistent right now.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Your goalie has to help lead his team out of a slump.

It's not fair, but it is what it is.

Losing 6-5 with a two-goal lead shows how fragile the team is right now, and you need your goalie to help stabilize the ship.

I love Andy, but I am pretty sure he won't be starting the next game.

Hopefully Robin can step up.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Your goalie has to help lead his team out of a slump.

It's not fair, but it is what it is.

Losing 6-5 with a two-goal lead shows how fragile the team is right now, and you need your goalie to help stabilize the ship.

I love Andy, but I am pretty sure he won't be starting the next game.

Hopefully Robin can step up.

Yup time for Anderson to take a seat for a few games and watch and see if Lehner can right the ship. You got Islanders and Dallas coming up over the weekend. IMO, you need to give those games to Lehner and let Anderson sit back, collect his thoughts, practice hard and see if he can get his game back. I mean let's be honest and even the staunchest Anderson apologist has to admit, he simply is not the same Vezina type goalie he was last year....he just isn't.

I said this yesterday, I think Maclean has been playing Andy too much so far. Lehner should have started this past game vs Hawks. Now that Anderson has gotten ripped 3 straight games and his confidence is probably a bit droopy, time to give the kid a shot. Danger is of course, Lehner plays great, Sens win a few hockey games and you have fans clamoring for more Lehner. Well that's the risk you need to take. Just a matter of time anyways before Lehner gets the gig and so why not set the seeds in motion now. Andy is simply not doing the job currently and time to allow Lehner provide the spark.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's time for Lehner. It sucks because it's not Anderson's fault and the team has really left him out to dry...but if the team can play a little harder in front of Lehner against an easier stretch of games that's the way it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad