Time for jersey sponsorship and team naming rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Calling a team the Tampax Red Wings (for example only, I"m not picking on the Wings) is way worse than wearing the advertising on the uniforms. Go watch a game played prior to advertising on the boards and you'll wonder how you ever lived without it!

I don't care either way, but the argument that it will help the smaller market teams is weak. Let's face it - the Leafs, Rangers, Flyers, and other large market teams, will make so much more money that you'll see an even bigger divide between the "haves" and "have not's".

Then the players are going to demand a link between revenue and salaries, and the owners will demand that salaries cannot be tied to league revenue. :)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
HF2002 said:
I don't care either way, but the argument that it will help the smaller market teams is weak. Let's face it - the Leafs, Rangers, Flyers, and other large market teams, will make so much more money that you'll see an even bigger divide between the "haves" and "have not's".

That could be fixed by having all jersey advertising rights go through the league, so when an advertiser signs on, they get displayed on all 30 jerseys in the same place. It might cut into the individual revenues that a team like NYR could grab, but it would possibly up the revenue Edmonton or Calgary would recieve from it. Then all 30 teams would get an equal share of it, plus a percentage to some sort of players fund.

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
maybe something like the AHL jerseys where there is a crest on the upper right hand of the jersey ala Binghampton Sens.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Winger98 said:
That could be fixed by having all jersey advertising rights go through the league, so when an advertiser signs on, they get displayed on all 30 jerseys in the same place. It might cut into the individual revenues that a team like NYR could grab, but it would possibly up the revenue Edmonton or Calgary would recieve from it. Then all 30 teams would get an equal share of it, plus a percentage to some sort of players fund.

That's how I'd see it working. The NHL would sell the space. Obviously they'd get more for the Leafs than the Panthers but all the money would be pooled and distributed equally. The same way the NHL TV contract works, some teams are obviously better raters but all the revenue is pooled and distributed equally.

Yus

Feb 4, 2004
This would be a great way to sabotage replica/authentic jersey sales.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Oh yes, this is a worthy idea. Perhaps if we made this sacrifice to the mighty gods of hockey team ownership, some advertising morsels on the altar of their greed, perchance they wont smite us by taking away our team. Always good to be findiing ways to appease the mighty. Surely if they all made a million dollars or so a year by doing this, it would be worth it as now they could all cover the salaries they were forced to pay and the problems would be solved.

To use Pierre Trudeaus words - its time to stand up to the master blackmailers.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I don't really care about the ads any more, really. I can remember being aghast at the idea of banners on the boards and logos on the ice surface, and that stuff has come and I survived it just fine anyway. So I'm sure it would be the same with putting the ads on the players too. I'd get used to it. No biggie either way.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Winger98 said:

I dont know about that idea, what if a local company wants to slap a logo on a Wings jersey to advertise their product to Detroiter where people in Calgary have no idea what this company is. Let local companies buy space if they want, but all the money is pooled and distributed equally.

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
HckyFght said:
Ads on the ice and uniforms is repugnant.
-HckyFght

Not if the savings are passed on to the fans...which they'll never be, of course.

BTW -- do you have a problem with ads on the dashers? I happen to like it when Brenda Witt is getting pummelled by an ad for Koons Auto Dealers.

<JESTER>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->