Time for deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What time is the deadline to sign the '02 CHL picks? I think it's 3 pm, but I'm not sure, anyone know for certain?

Looks like a few of the bigger names have been signed, but still a few good ones left. Guess we should see a few players signed tomorrow, it's been rather quiet so far.

Here's a small list I put together, without doing too much research, just some names that I think need to be signed and I think they haven't been yet. I know I missed several of the later round picks though.

Martin Vagner (reenter)
Tim Brent (reenter)
Brain Lee (reenter)
Michael Tessier (reenter)
Pattick Jarrett (reenter)
Armands Berzins (reenter)
Andre Deveaux (reenter)

Patrick Wellar (FA)
Jesse Lane (FA)
Drek Krestanovich (FA)
Scott Doben (FA)

Last edited:

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
I don't know the official time, but I just wanted to add that whatever the official time is, it only matters a little, because although there is a deadline, we likely won't hear about the signings through press releases until the evening or even one or two days later. Historically there are always late signings that took place before the deadline but we don't hear about until later.

I like the list though...maybe we can use this as the "official" thread to report who signed and who went unsigned. If so...may I request a designation on which players would re-enter and which would become UFA. I think that is the first comprehensive list here, all the rest have been a thread asking "who is unsigned" and then 500 replies

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
TMHUNH said:
I don't know the official time, but I just wanted to add that whatever the official time is, it only matters a little, because although there is a deadline, we likely won't hear about the signings through press releases until the evening or even one or two days later. Historically there are always late signings that took place before the deadline but we don't hear about until later.

I like the list though...maybe we can use this as the "official" thread to report who signed and who went unsigned. If so...may I request a designation on which players would re-enter and which would become UFA. I think that is the first comprehensive list here, all the rest have been a thread asking "who is unsigned" and then 500 replies

Thats a good point, I do expect a few signings to come out a few hours past the deadline, but I'd be surprised if we got any the next day or later. I did make this thread a sticky, so any prospects that are signed can be reported here.

As for the UFA/reentry, I will put that next to each name after I look them up.

jincargo

Jan 28, 2004
The deadline is 5pm.

The Caps main targets are Johansson and Tomas Fleishmann...if not signed they would both go back into the draft. Wellar (who is listed above as reenter) would be a Free Agent...and it appears he's not going to be signing a deal.

leafaholix*

Fan 590 says that John Ferguson Jr. is looking to sign G Todd Ford before 5.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
strungout said:
The deadline is 5pm.

The Caps main targets are Johansson and Tomas Fleishmann...if not signed they would both go back into the draft. Wellar (who is listed above as reenter) would be a Free Agent...and it appears he's not going to be signing a deal.

Johansson and Fleishmann were both drafted out of Europe so I don't believe they have to be signed at this point in time.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
cagney said:
Johansson and Fleishmann were both drafted out of Europe so I don't believe they have to be signed at this point in time.

yes they do, they have been playing Canadian Juniors the last 2 years so they must be signed...does not matter that they were drafted out of Europe.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
smsgtkvv said:
This the only web site that said this.

http://www.joyofhockey.com/transJUN02.html

"June 24 [2002]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phoenix Coyotes - Signed the following players selected in the 2002 draft. RW-Lance Monych, RW-John Zeiler, G-Jeff Pietrasiak, LW-Ladislav Kouba, D-Marcus Smith and C-Russell Spence."

No offense, but that has to be a scam. If Zeiler and Petree had signed, they couldn't still be playing in the NCAA

Dan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
TMHUNH said:
No offense, but that has to be a scam. If Zeiler and Petree had signed, they couldn't still be playing in the NCAA
Yes, that was a mistake, look at the date. Do you think the Coyotes would sign all those kids a few days after they were drafted?

Anyway, Coyotes signed Lance Monych yesterday. Only one left for the Coyotes is 9th rounder Marcus Smith, who played with Kitchener.

BladesofSteel21

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I thunk the Flyers signed Rosario Ruggeri, during the Philly Phantoms breakup day
coach John Stevens said he is looking forward to coaching some young guys like
Ben Eager and Ruggeri. I don't know if he assumed Ruggeri was signed, but it would
be stupid to say that if they had no intention of signing him.

smsgtkvv

May 30, 2003
South Hill
Visit site
TMHUNH said:

However, these two players weren't in college when they were drafted. I think every NHL team has to officially notify their drafted players to let them know of a bunch of formal NHL stuff. This stuff probably includes the rules for them to request a contract offer sheet. I also seem to remember that this first notification, if not accomplished, allows drafted players to go back in the draft after one year. Back in the early 1990s, The Hockey News posted a list of players that re-entered the draft and a few re-entered after only one year. The signings I mentioned earlier was not for Standard Player Contracts but for the initial NHL-to-player notification.

thestonedkoala

Barry Brust is going to reenter or be a FA

Last edited by a moderator:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Some really solid re-entries....Maybe the best crop of unsigned guys Ive seen.

Tim Brent should no doubt be gone by 50th overall IMO. He's a future captain. Guys like Derek Meech, Patrick Jarrett, Rosario Ruggeri and hell even Martin Vagner could have NHL futures.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
RJ Umberger is now a free agent.

The Rangers get the 46th pick in the 2004 Draft. That gives them 5 second round picks now.

Umberger can now sign with anybody, including the Rangers (who would still get to keep the pick if they sign him). Expect him to go to Pittsburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->