Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Ready for hurricane Flo?
q8NIg6w.gif

Yeah man.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
“We had a great All-Star Game (in Columbus, 2015),” Bettman said. “We see the fan reaction, the ratings, the building (Nationwide Arena) full … these are things we keep track of, but we keep track of them for all 31 teams. We like what we’re seeing (in Columbus).

“Other than six or seven teams, every (NHL) team has participated (in an outdoor game). We look for a mix. Part of it is to assure we get a national (TV) rating. Part of it is to ensure that when we play in a 70,000-seat facility there’s no doubt it will be sold out. We try to be opportunistic. It’s a function of market. It’s a function of team history and fan base, and it’s a function of performance at the time.”

Told that Ohio State could seat well more than 100,000 fans for an outdoor hockey game, Bettman smiled.

“So I’ve been told,” he said.

Bettman cautioned repeatedly that the NHL has not taken any tangible steps toward staging such a game in Columbus. No on-site survey has been done, he said.

Also, it’s never been clear whether Ohio State would be willing to share its venerable stage with the local NHL team.
But Bettman has never before spoken so openly about such an event. It’s the first time he’s indicated that an outdoor game in Columbus is anything more than a pipe dream of the Blue Jackets and their fans.

“It’s on our radar screen of places we haven’t been,” Bettman said. “We want to be as inclusive as possible, and (as) we view the success the Blue Jackets are having on and off the ice, the discussions become more frequent.”

Blue Jackets coach John Tortorella said the game would be a momentous occasion for the city and the organization.

“I’ve (coached) in one and they’re a blast,” he said. “You know how I feel about the city of Columbus. I don’t think we get respect. We’re trying to fight for that.

“For us to be mentioned as (being) involved in one of those games, it would be great for the city and great for the team, and it would help us to keep progressing.”

Gary Bettman: Blue Jackets, Columbus 'on our radar' for an...

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Personally, I don't care if they play the Utica Comets or the Charlestown Chiefs. I just want to see them featured in an outdoor game.

I think it was 2006, I went to an outdoor game at Lambeau Field in Green Bay. Wisconsin versus Ohio State. It was awesome!! I always thought Lambeau would be a great venue for a Stadium series game. What about Jackets versus Wild in Lambeau?

Sabo0290

Lost along the wing
Aug 28, 2015
Dayton
Personally, I don't care if they play the Utica Comets or the Charlestown Chiefs. I just want to see them featured in an outdoor game.

I think it was 2006, I went to an outdoor game at Lambeau Field in Green Bay. Wisconsin versus Ohio State. It was awesome!! I always thought Lambeau would be a great venue for a Stadium series game. What about Jackets versus Wild in Lambeau?

As a Packers fan who has been to Lambeau a few times, I second this notion.

brianhatesu

Aug 8, 2003
Dayton
Visit site
I'm not getting to excited about this. I assume all 31 teams are on their "Radar" to have a game. Plus, losing the teams two best players are not going to help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad