Time for CBJ in Winter Classic?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
not close to being feesible yet...first we win, then we get more games on NBC/NBCSN, then we get a WC/SS game...

until we're a ratings draw, we won't get a game...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Jody coordinates some sort of CBJ alumni group currently, FWIW. Names I've seen associated with it include Richardson, Modin, Cassels and Grand-Pierre.

Well, I got three out of four, at least. :D I just think Vyborny and Klesla at a minimum are necessary. I'd say the same for Knutsen, but he's got the right to bow out if he doesn't feel up for it, for obvious reasons. :(

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
We're probably due and the league is certainly taking interest in us now, but no thanks. To me they're little more than a gimmick.

I agree 100 %. The view from most (all?) seats seems to be lousy and the weather is always a risk. I've lost my interest in them as must see tv and while I don't live in Columbus I wouldn't pay to go watch a hockey game in the Shoe.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
The first Winter Classic on New Year's Day in Buffalo was absolute must-see.
I know that snow makes for bad ice/bad hockey, but that was visually a huge hit - and part of what got my daughter completely hooked (instead of "just" 95% hooked), not just on CBJ but on hockey in general.

However, while the New Year's Day outdoor game remains must-see for us, it is in ever-decreasing degree. Combination of too many of them, not enough atmosphere since Buffalo, and partly the realization that attending the game itself is more about saying you went than seeing a good game. There is still a little curiousity about an outdoor game, just not as much. If there was a game at the 'Shoe, YES I would be there, in part to support CBJ, in part to celebrate Columbus and the New Year with my daughter, but recognizing that watching the game itself would probably not be the greatest experience (I vote playoff hockey 10 out of 10 times over an outdoor game). If it were a "Stadium Series" game and not New Years, would probably still go, but would not be nearly as enthusiastic about it.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Well, I got three out of four, at least. :D I just think Vyborny and Klesla at a minimum are necessary. I'd say the same for Knutsen, but he's got the right to bow out if he doesn't feel up for it, for obvious reasons. :(

Not correcting, I know you were just making a list, and I'd say yeah for an event like that we'd want to reach out to guys who are back overseas.

Just providing some info. The alumni thing is part of Jody's official role as club ambassador.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
The league needs to seriously dial back their outdoor game efforts and probably take a few years hiatus, by which time Columbus and the Blue Jackets would be ready. They were a good idea at first, but 3 of these things every season has killed the novelty, especially when it's the same teams all the time. The Blackhawks have been in far too many, same for Detroit, and Pittsburgh is getting there.

As for those saying the Blue Jackets couldn't fill it, maybe that's true now, but they also said the same thing about Ohio State football way back in 1922. :) OSU sells it out for minor league football games against Florida A&M. With the right opponent and a good Blue Jackets team I think you could rally the Ohio hockey community to pull from all corners and fill the thing.

Reactions: Jive Pawnbroker

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I really don't get the appeal of attending Winter Classic games. I understand how it'd be nice for the Jackets and Columbus, but I'd never shell out the $$$ to sit in the cold (rain?) and have a ****** view of the ice. I do enjoy watching them on TV, though.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
[sorry for the shameless plug...I've actually been working on a little design project for such an event ;)]

Throwback unis are based off of each state's professional hockey teams in 1977 and 1978

Last edited:
Reactions: MoeBartoli

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
The NHL Network just had a facebook poll. The question:

Team you'd most like to see in an outdoor game next season?

Results:

Arizona 2%
Carolina 4%
Florida 5%
Dallas 12%
Tampa 16%
Nashville 18%
Columbus 43%

All fans on the CBJ bandwagon LOL.

Reactions: CPTN71

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Take it to the bank...Ohio State will NEVER let the CBJ use Ohio Stadium for anything.
OSU is into anything that makes them $$$.
More and more concerts there recently, as someone else mentioned soccer. I don't think they would have a problem with the CBJ as long as they got paid. I could be wrong, but I see the jealousy as a lot more CBJ fans not wanting to associated with OSU than visa-versa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad