Time for CBJ in Winter Classic?

WashedUp

Mar 28, 2014
I suppose it's already been talked about over the years but with the success the Jackets are having this year, maybe it's time to revisit the Jackets getting a Winter Classic game. A lot of teams have been to multiple games partly due to their popularity and on ice success. I think we could host one here and it would be a huge success based on how well the All Star game and NHL draft did here. The question of where to play and who to play would have to be resolved. Ohio Stadium would be cool if we could put at least 50000 in there. Any less than that would show too many empty seats and might be considered an embarrassment. Crew stadium might work but 24000 is too low unless they could add temporary stands and get 40000 in there. Huntington Park is smaller than Nationwide so that wouldn't work. As for an opponent, it would have to be someone close who would help pack in the fans. That would have to be a Pittsburgh, Detroit, Chicago etc, all of them fall in the multiple appearances group and would garner most of the headlines in the build up of the game.

Regardless I would love to see Cbus host it! Thoughts?

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I suppose it's already been talked about over the years but with the success the Jackets are having this year, maybe it's time to revisit the Jackets getting a Winter Classic game. A lot of teams have been to multiple games partly due to their popularity and on ice success. I think we could host one here and it would be a huge success based on how well the All Star game and NHL draft did here. The question of where to play and who to play would have to be resolved. Ohio Stadium would be cool if we could put at least 50000 in there. Any less than that would show too many empty seats and might be considered an embarrassment. Crew stadium might work but 24000 is too low unless they could add temporary stands and get 40000 in there. Huntington Park is smaller than Nationwide so that wouldn't work. As for an opponent, it would have to be someone close who would help pack in the fans. That would have to be a Pittsburgh, Detroit, Chicago etc, all of them fall in the multiple appearances group and would garner most of the headlines in the build up of the game.

Regardless I would love to see Cbus host it! Thoughts?
It's been discussed now and then since the first one in Buffalo....

If the CBJ go deep this season you can bet they will be considered... 80,000 in the Shoe...?? :)

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Our team is not ready for that type of game. We need to win several playoff series and go deep into the playoffs a couple of times before the hockey fans around here would be willing to attend this event (from here and afar). The only place to play would be OSU and I don't see that happening for a while if ever. Let Chicago, Pittsburgh and Detroit play them. With so many outdoor games now it's becoming so watered down that it isn't really a big deal to me anymore. Heck we don't even have the equivalent of an alumni team that anyone would recognize outside of rabid CBJ fans.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
  • OSU doesn't seem receptive
  • National media NBC only airs us once a year
  • Fan base while recently coming around is still jaded by previous years

Until we get consistent performances (multiple playoff appearances with winning a few rounds) I don't see OSU, NBC or fans buying in.

And as previously noted these things are now a dime a dozen.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
I don't think a Winter Classic will ever happen (possible bowl conflict for OSU), but I think Stadium Series is possible.

Reactions: KCbus

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY

Until we get consistent performances (multiple playoff appearances with winning a few rounds) I don't see OSU, NBC or fans buying in.

The NHL has gone to far with it I agree.... There's also some issues with outside games being equal across the Northern boarders.... Big cities in the USA do the best from a revenue standpoint I would think???

If by some miracle the CBJ won the cup it could happen in Columbus.... Remember, we can have good ice in 40 degree weather now.... (Refrigeration science)

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Bingo.

Also we aren't Chicago so chances of us getting an outdoor game are pretty slim.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
We're probably due and the league is certainly taking interest in us now, but no thanks. To me they're little more than a gimmick.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
I still think we're a cup or two away from being legitimately considered for the classic. Bettman knows we have a great group of die hard fans here, but he has to turn a profit for his owners. Considering OSU will demand a bigger slice of the pie than nearly any other host (you can take that to the bank) it seems like a no go from where we sit in 2017.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
While I think it would be cool to have here, and would be well attended, the league just would not be receptive to the Jackets hosting a WC and OSU less so. I would rather the team try to get the draft or AS Game again. Those events showcase the city as well.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think Winter Classic is a good showcase, and it would especially be so in the Horseshoe. The league is interested in growth opportunities in addition to ratings. Ohio is a growth opportunity.

But as others have mentioned, Ohio State would want a very big slice, so it's probably not going to happen. Oh well.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Everyone is talking about hosting it... why not just playing in it? I'm sure this seasons success will help prove we can bring in the fans and if we play hard gritty games against the metro and spark a rivalry that gets really heated I think we could make it work. And to people saying they are a gimmick or there are too many... what's the problem with it happening once a year? Yeah there are like 3 now but the fans like it and the players like it then why not enjoy it. It doesn't hurt anything. It brings in more casual views and it can help expand the Columbus fan base. Only positives. It seems like people are against it more so because they don't think we can get it so why get there hopes up type thing. I would go out right now and buy the winter classic jersey immediately they have amazing unique jerseys for these. The only problem would be Saad or Werenski.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Who would you guys choose for the Columbus Alumni team?

I would think pretty much a team comprised of the first 2-3 years, however, nobody outside of Columbus would care about that alumni team, though Chicago fielded one of the biggest nobody rosters ever for this weeks alumni game. We definitely aren't getting the winter classic anytime soon, but I could see an outdoor game next year, the NHL really likes us, we have had the draft, all-star game and team USA training camp. If we played Pitt, I fear it would be 60,000 Pens fans but I think they would sell the shoe out, if nothing more than it's a spectacle. OSU will be the ultimate blocker, until we have enough success that their hand is forced. That means a trip to the Cup final, which is shaping to be a real possibility...

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I think the thing that makes the most sense is for Columbus to first be the visiting team in one of these outdoor events. The NHL can then test the TV ratings.

Reactions: CPTN71

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Don't let this streak get too good to you.

We have to play well for 3-4 years in a row before we get enough respect to get this off the ground. Ideally a rivalry with Pittsburgh because that's the only team I can see us hosting.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Few others have mentioned but until we prove ourselves we aren't getting a winter classic. We have to be one of the teams that gets the least amount of coverage nationally. Now if we do have a deep run in the playoffs and we capture the nations attention (look a team with no superstar, is rolling thru the playoffs, etc) then maybe in a few years.
As for OSU - they will do whatever works in their best interest. If they can make money and get great press they would be all for it. Think of back to back games with OSU vs Michigan one day then the following day with Jackets vs Penguins/Wings, etc. They have opened up the stadium to concerts and soccer, so if the price and opportunity is right they would make it available.
As a fan - personally I get the novelty, but paying a premium price, for bad seating and sitting out in the cold isn't high on my list. I'd go to the game, but again I'd be happier sitting in NWA.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I'm not a big fan of outdoor hockey in stadiums. The tighter, intimate confines of an arena are the proper venue for the game.

As for OSU, I'd be shocked if they ever hosted a CBJ game in the shoe.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Who would you guys choose for the Columbus Alumni team?

Vyborny, Zherdev, Knutsen (if he'll stop by), Sanderson, Whitney, Cassels at forward; would also be tempted to add Prospal just 'cause he's awesome, and/or Modin and Shelley because they're in town. Klesla, Hejda, Spacek, possibly Richardson at defense (Foote can go to hell). Denis and/or Tugnutt in net.

Nash and Tyutin would be good choices but they're still active NHL players. Possibly also Hainsey.

And yeah, Ohio State's cooperation would be the biggest stumbling block. And it's too soon.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Vyborny, Zherdev, Knutsen (if he'll stop by), Sanderson, Whitney, Cassels at forward; would also be tempted to add Prospal just 'cause he's awesome, and/or Modin and Shelley because they're in town. Klesla, Hejda, Spacek, possibly Richardson at defense (Foote can go to hell). Denis and/or Tugnutt in net.

Jody coordinates some sort of CBJ alumni group currently, FWIW. Names I've seen associated with it include Richardson, Modin, Cassels and Grand-Pierre.

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
the "powerhouse" on Lane Ave. will never let their stadium be used for an NHL game IMO..............

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
As has been said, we need a few years of being good to get this. Plus we don't yet have a true rivalry going with anyone.

We may look at certain teams as rivals, but I don't think there are any of the "quality" teams or fan-bases that consider us a legitimate rival.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
It'd be pretty cool to host it at Progressive Field and play the Wings or the Pens. Would be pretty a pretty neutral location. Not that it would happen, but it could definitely work.

At this point, I don't care if we'd get one but a special jersey design would be sweet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad