Boston Bruins Time for a Bruins goal song change?

Do you think that the current Bruins goal song 'Kernkraft 400' should be replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • No

Votes: 43 53.1%

• Total voters

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
@talkinaway's recent comment in the Around the NHL thread about the possibility of the Bruins' current goal song being used at Scotiabank Arena in Toronto should the venue be used as a 'neutral' eastern site for the anticipated playoffs reminded me of something I'd been musing on late in the regular season - I'm over the Kernkraft 400 mix being used by the Bruins.

It's been in harness for quite a long time now and while it's memorable and easy to chant it's also pretty bland and uninspiring IMO. Additionally it has no real connection with Boston other than what's been created out of its association with the Bs over the years and it's hardly exclusive, given the amount it's played at other venues both in America and all over the world.

So I just think it's tired and had its day and it's time for a change. What to I'm not sure but perhaps something closer to home in origin, given that Boston and New England more broadly have a rich musical history of their own to draw from.

I'm curious what other people think - would you still keep Kernkraft, or dump it? And if so what would you replace it with?

Reactions: talkinaway

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
At the risk of being chased out of this thread and fearing for my life, please no Dropkick Murphys. They're everywhere.

I've always thought Kernkraft was better suited for a faceoff, away. It sounds more anticipatory. I'm not a huge fan, but I'm not a huge detractor of it, either. It's been around for quite awhile, though.

Not to be a copycat of the Blues, but I'd love an organ cue instead of a DJ cue. That might be the one way you could get me to sign on to "Shipping" or "Tessie". There's always "Nutrocker" - old-time Boston fans will have a very strong association with it, just as young fans associate "Back in Black" or "Crazy Train" as Bruins return-to-the-ice songs.

It might be too niche, but as a 70s/80s fan, I'd love "Just What I Needed" by The Cars. Local group, good guitar riff, and the chorus actually could apply quite well to hockey (I needed someone to feed / I needed someone to bleed).

One thing I've noticed - there's not much variety in the various music cues. Some of them I know, some of them I don't know. I know some are traditional, like "Kalinka" (aka "Ovechkin, Ovechkin, Ovechkin, YOU SUCK!"), but some I don't know, so I give them nicknames. One that's been bothering me is one I call Starship Bruins. It sounds like it might be 70s or 80s, so I should know it, but I blank on it, and I must have heard it 1,000 times.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Some goal songs defy logic

With all the great Canadian music to chose from, they pick 2 guys from PHILADELPHIA

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm all for changing it. EDM just doesn't pack the same punch as guitar-driven rock. And even less so today now that EDM is so prevalent. That Pantera song in Dallas is far and away the best in the league.

The Cars would be a great choice - Let's Go or Good Times Roll. Toys in the Attic by Aerosmith could also work.

But I'd go with the main guitar riff to Boston's More Than a Feeling. Heck, that riff makes me want to pump my fist and raise my lighter when I hear it laying in bed. Just imagine the euphoria after a Bruins' goal.;)

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I'm all for changing it. EDM just doesn't pack the same punch as guitar-driven rock. And even less so today now that EDM is so prevalent. That Pantera song in Dallas is far and away the best in the league.

The Cars would be a great choice - Let's Go or Good Times Roll. Toys in the Attic by Aerosmith could also work.

But I'd go with the main guitar riff to Boston's More Than a Feeling. Heck, that riff makes me want to pump my fist and raise my lighter when I hear it laying in bed. Just imagine the euphoria after a Bruins' goal.;)

Any Boston song would be good... Rock and Roll Band, Smokin...etc.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
At the risk of being chased out of this thread and fearing for my life, please no Dropkick Murphys. They're everywhere.

I've always thought Kernkraft was better suited for a faceoff, away. It sounds more anticipatory. I'm not a huge fan, but I'm not a huge detractor of it, either. It's been around for quite awhile, though.

Not to be a copycat of the Blues, but I'd love an organ cue instead of a DJ cue. That might be the one way you could get me to sign on to "Shipping" or "Tessie". There's always "Nutrocker" - old-time Boston fans will have a very strong association with it, just as young fans associate "Back in Black" or "Crazy Train" as Bruins return-to-the-ice songs.

It might be too niche, but as a 70s/80s fan, I'd love "Just What I Needed" by The Cars. Local group, good guitar riff, and the chorus actually could apply quite well to hockey (I needed someone to feed / I needed someone to bleed).

One thing I've noticed - there's not much variety in the various music cues. Some of them I know, some of them I don't know. I know some are traditional, like "Kalinka" (aka "Ovechkin, Ovechkin, Ovechkin, YOU SUCK!"), but some I don't know, so I give them nicknames. One that's been bothering me is one I call Starship Bruins. It sounds like it might be 70s or 80s, so I should know it, but I blank on it, and I must have heard it 1,000 times.

I agree - I think Kernkraft was a fine choice and it's done good service, just feels like it's stale and it's time for something fresh. I suspect one reason it may have been retained this long is its association with the 2011 Cup run, which makes sense but you can't linger on the past forever.

And I like the Dropkick Murphys but again I agree, it would be way too predictable to go with something of theirs at this point and I don't think they'd have anything you could use that hasn't already been done to saturation-point amongst the Boston sports teams.

I could get on board with a Cars song. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones have a few great riffs that could work too. Not 'Impression that I Get', which is great but would get old fast, but there are some other good ones that could be thrown in the mix.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Too many teams force it and it is cringeworthy. This has a flow, fans clap along with it... grass is always greener type issue to me. If they change it, it needs to be well thought out not just a gimmicky song fans love to scream during game play to show how Boston they are.

Fans singing along to a random song might actually take away from the moment of the goal. It gives the bandwagon fans one more thing to take over like at Fenway.

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I say it every time it comes up, but the pre-chorus and chorus of Our Revolution by Halifax would be great.

i also dislike the dropkicks, very much so, but For Boston or the Nutrocker would work out ok.

the Cars would be a novel idea, sort of out of the box too. I like it.

member 96824

The whole off ice game experience has grown tired IMO and it wasn’t very exciting to begin with in the first place.

I’d rip and replace everything but the ric flair wooo. Goal songs, entry songs, Etc.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Kurt Cobain said that's the riff he used as his template for the Smells Like Teen Spirit riff.

Reactions: Aeroforce

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The whole off ice game experience has grown tired IMO and it wasn’t very exciting to begin with in the first place.

I’d rip and replace everything but the ric flair wooo. Goal songs, entry songs, Etc.

I'd love to see Goal Horns go away. I had the misfortune of coming across the Bardown crowd doing a "Name the Goal Horn" game the other day on FB. And they freely admitted most of them sound exactly the same. I'm good with just the roar of the crowd.

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
Too many teams force it and it is cringeworthy. This has a flow, fans clap along with it... grass is always greener type issue to me. If they change it, it needs to be well thought out not just a gimmicky song fans love to scream during game play to show how Boston they are.

Fans singing along to a random song might actually take away from the moment of the goal. It gives the bandwagon fans one more thing to take over like at Fenway.

This is exactly how I feel. The song is a "celebration" type song with good post-goal flow (that a thing?) with fans clapping, humming, etc. There's always a "bounce" in the crowd after a Bruins goal.

I love you all, but I do not understand some of the suggestions here. If we change our goal music to an organ playing then we might as well rename ourselves the Charlestown Chiefs.

Oh, and as a Northeastern fan: get that For Boston nonsense out of here!

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I agree - I think Kernkraft was a fine choice and it's done good service, just feels like it's stale and it's time for something fresh. I suspect one reason it may have been retained this long is its association with the 2011 Cup run, which makes sense but you can't linger on the past forever.

And I like the Dropkick Murphys but again I agree, it would be way too predictable to go with something of theirs at this point and I don't think they'd have anything you could use that hasn't already been done to saturation-point amongst the Boston sports teams.

I could get on board with a Cars song. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones have a few great riffs that could work too. Not 'Impression that I Get', which is great but would get old fast, but there are some other good ones that could be thrown in the mix.

Maybe they could personalize it to the players, like teams do with their walkup songs in baseball.

Let the players pick the song they want used when they score a goal. Sure, there will always be the few occasions where they don't know immediately who scored the goal, but more times than not, it's obvious.

Reactions: Smitty93

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->