Tim Wakefield passes away

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Let's not get carried away here

Dwight Evans (3x all-star, 2x Silver Slugger, 8 Gold Gloves) posted a 66.5 WAR with the Red Sox in 2505 games (2nd most in franchise history) and they haven't retired his number

Wakefield was a serviceable pitcher for much of his career, but his postseason stats with Boston are actually quite brutal (3 - 7 record), and his regular season stats were noticeably below all-star caliber

Should Pedroia's number be retired as well? What about Varitek's? Or Mike Greenwell's?

Just how far should the bar be lowered?
I don’t have a problem with any of those guys having their number retired but Greenwell doesn’t make the cut for me. Gotta look at the whole package with these types of things but I’m not a Red Sox fan so it doesn’t really matter to me overall

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I don’t have a problem with any of those guys having their number retired but Greenwell doesn’t make the cut for me. Gotta look at the whole package with these types of things but I’m not a Red Sox fan so it doesn’t really matter to me overall
But you said "Red Sox should be retiring his number soon" as if that is the logical outcome

Wakefield's impact/value as a player doesn't warrant that level of consideration, and retiring his number would merely serve to diminish the significance of that honour

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
But you said "Red Sox should be retiring his number soon" as if that is the logical outcome

Wakefield's impact/value as a player doesn't warrant that level of consideration, and retiring his number would merely serve to diminish the significance of that honour
Again, I think you have to look at the overall impact of the player, person, and the situation.

I’m a Canes fan so I’ll give an example of what Rod Brind’Amour he said about him getting into the HHOF or not.

He said, that he doesn’t honestly care that much if he gets in but that if he did get in, he just wishes it would happen sooner rather than later because it’s something he would want to share with the people who helped get him there. It’s as much for them as it is for him. His dad passed away this summer I think. I’m sure if he does get in, it would have been nicer to do that and have that moment with his dad.

Same could be said here. Honour the people when they (or their family) are around to appreciate it. Ultimately it’s for the person and their family, not the organization. Why does there have to be a mandatory waiting period of so many years?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Again, I think you have to look at the overall impact of the player, person, and the situation.

I’m a Canes fan so I’ll give an example of what Rod Brind’Amour he said about him getting into the HHOF or not.

He said, that he doesn’t honestly care that much if he gets in but that if he did get in, he just wishes it would happen sooner rather than later because it’s something he would want to share with the people who helped get him there. It’s as much for them as it is for him. His dad passed away this summer I think. I’m sure if he does get in, it would have been nicer to do that and have that moment with his dad.

Same could be said here. Honour the people when they (or their family) are around to appreciate it. Ultimately it’s for the person and their family, not the organization. Why does there have to be a mandatory waiting period of so many years?
I didn't say there should be a mandatory waiting period before retiring someone's jersey...

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I didn't say there should be a mandatory waiting period before retiring someone's jersey...
I guess we just disagree on his impact/value then. To me a guy who plays for you for 20 years and seems to be well liked, leader, and fan favourite while putting up solid career numbers is worth honouring.

It’s not always about WAR and HOF worthiness.

Reactions: weaponomega

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I guess we just disagree on his impact/value then. To me a guy who plays for you for 20 years and seems to be well liked, leader, and fan favourite while putting up solid career numbers is worth honouring.

It’s not always about WAR and HOF worthiness.
Was Dwight Evans not well liked, a leader, and a fan favorite while putting up all-star caliber numbers? I guess he only played 19 seasons in Boston, not 20, but then again, Wakefield only played 17 with the Red Sox

I'm all for the team honouring Wakefield, I just don't think it should be the retirement of his number, which is arguably the highest honour a team can bestow upon a former player

I like the idea of renaming the street "Wakefield Way"

Hell, I wouldn't even complain if they renamed Fenway Park as Wake Field

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Yes. Not sure about Wakefield though.

I don't think retired numbers standards have to be like HOF but I understand the Red Sox have deeper history.
I wouldn't object if Pedroia's number was retired, but that's about as low as the bar should be set, IMO

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I wouldn't object if Pedroia's number was retired, but that's about as low as the bar should be set, IMO
I think we’re kind of arguing semantics. Like I don’t really care whose number they retire but all of these guys deserve to be honoured by the team. I was just using ‘retire his number’ as a placeholder for that.

Reactions: Neutrinos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad