Tim Thomas Gear

Thepandamancan

Jun 6, 2010
He uses Vaughn velocity pads and glove. Not sure what specific model. His blocker is the new larceny glove and his stick (which made that awesome save) is the 11K. The mask is a sportsmask mage.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Like most pro goalies, they'll have special specs that the retail versions generally won't. Thomas in particular seems to have tried every pad brand in the last few years.

Here's a thread about some pro stock Bauers from last year: http://www.goaliestore.com/board/goalie-crease/92102-bauer-tim-thomas-pro-return-pads-sale.html

Here's an article about his current setup: http://ingoalmag.com/interviews/ask-a-pro-with-tim-thomas/

Generally speaking, a lot of it will be personal preference. What works for one NHL goalie might not work for others. Thomas' observations about the blocker is kinda interesting. I mildly regret recently buying an entire gear set from one brand instead of mixing and matching, as I really dislike a couple things about the blocker.

Fleuryoutside29

Nov 3, 2009
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm really interested in that 11k stick. Its built very well from what I heard and it looks awesome. Being from Pittsburgh Ive heard a little about MLX and I am considering them for my next skate purchase. Shoeshine boy whats the best parts about the skates; I can never understand all the technical stuff on product websites.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
For goalie MLX skates, it's only the boot, not the cowlings.
Cowlings you can buy seperately at thegoaliecrease or goaliemonkey

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
Being from Pittsburgh Ive heard a little about MLX and I am considering them for my next skate purchase. Shoeshine boy whats the best parts about the skates; I can never understand all the technical stuff on product websites.

the above poster is correct, MLX is just selling the boot without cowlings.
the player skates are awesome! once you bake them (easily done at home) they fit your feet like a running shoe. normally it takes me forever to break in a new pair of skates but I was ready to make the MLX skates my primary pair after 2 periods of the first game I played in them. their customer service has been incredible. I had trouble using their sizing chart and ended up with skates that were too small. they overnighted the next size up for no charge and I was good to go.

Pitt9050

May 16, 2011
Pittsburgh
the player skates are awesome! once you bake them (easily done at home) they fit your feet like a running shoe. normally it takes me forever to break in a new pair of skates but I was ready to make the MLX skates my primary pair after 2 periods of the first game I played in them. their customer service has been incredible. I had trouble using their sizing chart and ended up with skates that were too small. they overnighted the next size up for no charge and I was good to go.

Hey I was actually thinking about them too how exactly does the baking work? And how is the protection? they rant and rave on the website about increased protection but is it that much better than regular skates

Fleuryoutside29

Nov 3, 2009

Thanks, for the feedback. After checking out their website a little more indepth I Was suprised to find out they were cheaper than I thought. I thought they were around $800 , but the goalie boots are retailing for $550. Hopefully I get them for my birthday!

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
Hey I was actually thinking about them too how exactly does the baking work? And how is the protection? they rant and rave on the website about increased protection but is it that much better than regular skates

for the baking it's really, really simple. in your home oven you pre-heat it to 200 degrees F. place the skates on the middle rack for 8 minutes. when time is up flip the skates over and bake them for another 8 minutes. take them out and lace them up while sitting in a chair or on the couch with your feet on the floor slightly forward. now sit there until they cool down.
MLX makes videos to show you how easy it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozaa3NIVfSc&feature=player_embedded#at=12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyexpp9M-TA&feature=player_embedded

as for protection, I took my first shot off of the boot in a scrimmage last night and didn't feel it at all. I'd say the protection is incredible!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad