Former Bruins Tim Thomas

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
https://www.foxsports.com/hockey/story/ex-bruins-goalie-tim-thomas-breaks-years-long-silence-090419

Thomas eight years ago became the oldest player to win the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP and is a Boston sports hero for his role in the Bruins’ first championship since 1972. He said last season’s playoffs were the first he had watched since retiring because the Bruins were doing so well. He brushed off the idea of returning to his old home arena.

“With the state of my nervous system since I retired, I wouldn’t be able to hardly handle the energy of the crowd in Boston,” Thomas said. “So it isn’t as simple as it may seem. Having said that, you never know what the future may hold. I’m just taking life as it goes.”

Thomas revealed that his daughter this week landed an internship with the Bruins and emphasized she earned it. Asked about that being a gateway to getting him back involved in the game, the 45-year-old said he highly doubts that will happen.

“I just don’t see it,” Thomas said. “I have other interests. I have a totally other focus. I live in a totally different world than the hockey world that I lived in before. I live a long ways away from Boston, and it’s not that fun for me to travel anymore. It isn’t anything to do with the Boston Bruins or the Boston fans, especially. My goodness, they loved the crap out of me when I was there to the point where it was hard to handle.”

A two-time Vezina Trophy winner as the league’s top goalie, Thomas sounds comfortable remaining at a distance from hockey.

“I don’t personally have any relationship with the game,” he said. “My focus and mind is on learning about other stuff. I learned so much about hockey and that area. I feel like I’ve learned as much as I needed to learn about it. My focus is on learning about other stuff.”

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I love Tim Thomas. Clearly he's a weird guy with fringe views on things, but I blame Haggs for launching that smear campaign on him after he skipped the White House for Thomas's reluctance to come back and have any connection to the game after retirement

aguineapig

He rode the buses, crossed the oceans ( four separate times ) and paid his dues over and over. And he kept chasing the dream of the NHL. I saw him in Portland with the PB's and he and Hannu were doing their stretches prior to warmups. And the always present Timmy grin was spread ear to ear the whole time, he was truly in his element.All the players were skating up to him tapping his pads, as he was clearly the elder statesman and leader who the kids all looked up to. When he got his chance with the big club it was show time. And we all saw it from there. A cross between Billy Smith and the Dominator he brought us the Cup. You were a treat to watch and will never forget you. Keep on grinnin 'Timmy!

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Congrats to you Timmy Thomas. You were a nice guy to sit next to when you were back up.

I remember once between periods when Tim stayed out near the bench to watch the kids that were playing their 3 minutes of fame and noticed a little girl with "Thomas" on the back of her jersey. I asked Timmy "someone you know ?" He had a huge smile and answered "My daughter"

Watching him in the playoffs was a treat Remember when he knocked over the twin ? I loved when he slashed that biter Burrows . What an amazing playoffs he had. "I didn't know it was my job to pump his tires".:laugh:

The big bear hug I got from him after the parade was pretty cool too.

I hope someday he comes to a game. The crowd would go nuts.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
To think he was in the "system" when the B's were still fronting Potvin, Grahaeme, Hannu, Raycroft, the slovak - P something, the guy with vertigo from the Habs, Sigalet, "Sieve Shields", Turco, then then duo of Fernandes and the other guy, all before he got a legit change. Ftorek and MC had something against this guy when he was lighting it up in FIN (hotbed of butterfly alt goalies at the time) and didn't give him a chance. Unfortunate as he may have crashed and burned, or provided a legit N1 they had been missing since Dafoe (being kind as never a grade A N°1 but best they had in a decade...) What could have been if they were as easy with TT as they were with PJ Stock and his cameo's on JT's wing with Ftorek...

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
He rode the buses, crossed the oceans ( four separate times ) and paid his dues over and over. And he kept chasing the dream of the NHL. I saw him in Portland with the PB's and he and Hannu were doing their stretches prior to warmups. And the always present Timmy grin was spread ear to ear the whole time, he was truly in his element.All the players were skating up to him tapping his pads, as he was clearly the elder statesman and leader who the kids all looked up to. When he got his chance with the big club it was show time. And we all saw it from there. A cross between Billy Smith and the Dominator he brought us the Cup. You were a treat to watch and will never forget you. Keep on grinnin 'Timmy!

Well said. I love the guy for what gave to the Bruins, and their fans. Billy Smith/Dominator indeed.

There is no way -- no way -- the Bruins win the 2011 Cup without him.

Good luck with all, Tim. And I hope you come back to Boston someday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->