Player Discussion Tim Stützle | 3rd OVR 2020 | C | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The WJC position is all about the other C not making good wingers. It is a myth that a C can switch to wing and be effective immediately.

Germany needed their C to stay C and Stu was still dynamic from the W sont make sense to have him there and let others keep their more natural position.

Anyway, all good I was just curious if there was a part of his game you thought wouldn't allow him to move back to C.
I think you could definitely shoe horn him in to playing c. I think you can do that with a lot of good players and they won’t be train wrecks. I just think he’s a winger. As that’s where he’s been since leaving junior German leagues which are...not that strong

Last edited:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I just don’t see the precedent. Which decreases the chances for me. But ffffaaaaaaaarrrrrrrr the best player on both his wjc teams. And they still had him at wing I just think the wing is where he likes to make plays.

IIRC they said a few weeks ago that he asked to be moved to wing at the most recent WJC because he didn’t feel his hand was back to 100% on faceoffs.

Might not remember correctly but I seem to remember he was at Center last year between Reichel and Peterka.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
8108FCD3-256F-48D8-99F0-B67AF6D1C973.png

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I think you could definitely shoe horn him in to playing c. I think you can do that with a lot of good players and they won’t be train wrecks. I just think he’s a winger. As that’s where he’s been since leaving junior German leagues which are...not that strong

What are you saying?

I'm not suggesting we take a random position player who is good and force him ("shoehorn him") to play C.

I'm saying take a life long C who was moved to W when he joined a men's pro league as a 17 year old and let him try his natural position since he has proven he has transitioned to the NHL immediately.

Not being combative but will ask again, outside of your belief system, is there anything you see in his game that suggests he can't be a C in the NHL?

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
What are you saying?

I'm not suggesting we take a random position player who is good and force him ("shoehorn him") to play C.

I'm saying take a life long C who was moved to W when he joined a men's pro league as a 17 year old and let him try his natural position since he has proven he has transitioned to the NHL immediately.

Not being combative but will ask again, outside of your belief system, is there anything you see in his game that suggests he can't be a C in the NHL?
No.... I think he CAN be a c...as in it’s possible. But it’s “possible” for a lot of really good wingers to play C. Depends what “Possible” means to you. He looks like a winger. He plays like a winger. He make his plays there.
At what point is he no longer a “natural C”. It’s been two years since he’s sniffed it. He was a C in the German Junior leagues.
Where is the precedent for this sort of thing. Still no one has been able to point out one. When do draft -1 and draft year wingers become elite 1Cs in the NHL? Also again, didn’t even play C at the wjc. Where he was his teams best player by far (and by extension would be his teams best center) Now apparently he specifically asked the team not to put him at center because of his wrist and the most recent Tourny. Fine , I didn’t see that but I will take that as truth I can’t confirm or deny. But even if that were the case, AFTER the face off he would then transition to being the center on his line in open play....which he did not.

last years wjc. He was not at c. He played c in one game I think when they tried just throwing all their good players on one line. Again. He was the teams best player. And by extension would be their best center. How many time EVER has a team said “this is our best player and he’s a center but we don’t want him at center”. It’s just not very common.

now. Is stutzle the one rare exception here. Maybe.
Again could he play center at some point in his nhl career and it not be a train wreck? Sure. But I don’t think it’s his best position.

most great wingers in the nhl probably would have been their teams best player in the German junior leagues. By a miiiiillleee and would have played center there too

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
No.... I think he CAN be a c...as in it’s possible. But it’s “possible” for a lot of really good wingers to play C. Depends what “Possible” means to you. He looks like a winger. He plays like a winger. He make his plays there.
At what point is he no longer a “natural C”. It’s been two years since he’s sniffed it. He was a C in the German Junior leagues.
Where is the precedent for this sort of thing. Still no one has been able to point out one. When do draft -1 and draft year wingers become elite 1Cs in the NHL? Also again, didn’t even play C at the wjc. Where he was his teams best player by far (and by extension would be his teams best center) Now apparently he specifically asked the team not to put him at center because of his wrist and the most recent Tourny. Fine , I didn’t see that but I will take that as truth I can’t confirm or deny. But even if that were the case, AFTER the face off he would then transition to being the center on his line in open play....which he did not.

last years wjc. He was not at c. He played c in one game I think when they tried just throwing all their good players on one line. Again. He was the teams best player. And by extension would be their best center. How many time EVER has a team said “this is our best player and he’s a center but we don’t want him at center”. It’s just not very common.

now. Is stutzle the one rare exception here. Maybe.
Again could he play center at some point in his nhl career and it not be a train wreck? Sure. But I don’t think it’s his best position.

most great wingers in the nhl probably would have been their teams best player in the German junior leagues. By a miiiiillleee and would have played center there too

Ok

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well yeah “ok” is all there really is to say. Time will tell. I certainly hope he is the #1 elite C. Some people are..very emotionally attached to him being that though. It’s like nothing I’ve seen before honestly.

Time will tell but I for one am pretty happy with him being a great winger.

but... you don’t have any precedent for it either then? Because I honestly do not know. Maybe there is

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Well yeah “ok” is all there really is to say. Time will tell. I certainly hope he is the #1 elite C. Some people are..very emotionally attached to him being that though. It’s like nothing I’ve seen before honestly.

Time will tell but I for one am pretty happy with him being a great winger.

but... you don’t have any precedent for it either then? Because I honestly do not know. Maybe there is

We just have opposing views. I get the impression you think I am suggesting a great puck moving D be moved to C.

There is a very long history of great junior C starting at W when they start pro hockey. In NA leagues that tends to be the NHL as a great Bantam or Midget C will play that position in Major Junior.

Outside of NAM you generally jump right in to pro if you are that good...like Stu...who moved to W when he turned pro.

Now that he is in the NHL it would make sense to see if the life long C can play his natural position. If he ends up being a W then OK but it makes no sense to eliminate C as an option.

Dont agree with your take on the fandemonium about moving to C either. Everyone seems ecstatic about his transition and wondering if he can't move to C in order to address a glaring need.

You seem extremely opposed for some reason...and that is why I say, "OK".

We will see where he ends up and we have a franchise player either way.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Right now, Stuetzle doesn't have the strength to play C, putting him there doesn't do him or the team any favours

I'm not sure I get why he needs to play C at all. He can drive a line from the wing

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Right now, Stuetzle doesn't have the strength to play C, putting him there doesn't do him or the team any favours

I'm not sure I get why he needs to play C at all. He can drive a line from the wing

I don't see the rush but I'd like to see him get some reps at the dot on his strong side if the plan is to transition him there eventually. Faceoffs is a game within the game that you really need experience to improve at it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Protect his broken wrist this year, keep him on wing , he already tweaked it earlier in year.
Look at Matthews he’s still tweaking his wrist.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Most aren't suggesting he play there now or that he even HAS to play there.

I find it odd that suggesting he moves back his natural position is such a polarizing position. Wouldn't just about every team prefer to have a #1 C over a #1 W in general?

Like I said - we have a franchise player either way so let's see how it shakes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->