Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well white is looking good
Norris looks like his floor is third line center
Tierney is still there
With Brown and pinto on the way I am not sure they need to force Jimmy over
Then you wonder who they draft next, that could be a star center.
The wing depth in the system is...meh
I wonder if it comes down to Guenther RW, Beniers C or Johnson C in the 2021 draft depending on where they end up. All good players, all skilled players & all difference makers.

Reactions: Oral64

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
I wonder if it comes down to Guenther RW, Beniers C or Johnson C in the 2021 draft depending on where they end up. All good players, all skilled players & all difference makers.

I like Beniers, but I feel like Johnson is going to be an elite offensive C which is something that would put this team over the top. It would allow us to keep Stutzle on the wing or at least take pressure off him to become our 1C. A line of Stutzle - Johnson - Batherson would be a thing of beauty.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I like Beniers, but I feel like Johnson is going to be an elite offensive C which is something that would put this team over the top. It would allow us to keep Stutzle on the wing or at least take pressure off him to become our 1C. A line of Stutzle - Johnson - Batherson would be a thing of beauty.

The day we get that #1 Center is day I will celebrate for the rest of my life like it's my Birthday

Reactions: JaredCowen4Norris

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
Forget leaving Stutzle on the wing. He will excel at C and his super-quick reflexes will serve him well in the face-off circle. By next year, Ottawa should have Stutzle as number 1c, Norris at 2c, and Pinto at 3c. That leaves many options for the fourth line, including Tierney, White and L. Brown.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Forget leaving Stutzle on the wing. He will excel at C and his super-quick reflexes will serve him well in the face-off circle. By next year, Ottawa should have Stutzle as number 1c, Norris at 2c, and Pinto at 3c. That leaves many options for the fourth line, including Tierney, White and L. Brown.
I’ve asked before. But when was the last time a play who hadn’t played C in so long before his draft was successfully moved to C. Let alone first line C.

they tried with Taylor hall. It didn’t work. I can’t think of another high profile one

Reactions: DrEasy

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
I’ve asked before. But when was the last time a play who hadn’t played C in so long before his draft was successfully moved to C. Let alone first line C.

they tried with Taylor hall. It didn’t work. I can’t think of another high profile one
Fair enough, but Dorion is on record that Stutz will eventually move to C permanently. I'm sure he's go to get plenty of chances at the position before the current season is over.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't disagree, but I would like to see if L. Brown can make a difference at some point this yr to give Ottawa a better idea of what their future could look like. And then there is Stutzle & whether he would be more dominating at centre or on the wing, I like him on the wing.

They also have Pinto coming & they could turn Paul into a centre should they want. I like Guenther RW a lot & think he would be a perfect compliment to Tkachuk & Norris at RW, almost like another version of Batherson. But if Brown doesn't work out I assume they would go after one of Beniers or Johnson depending where they end up ranked at yrs end.

Reactions: JaredCowen4Norris

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Fair enough, but Dorion is on record that Stutz will eventually move to C permanently. I'm sure he's go to get plenty of chances at the position before the current season is over.
He said he sees him there while some on the scouting staff see him on the wing last I remember. I’m sure he will get his shot at center. Personally I just don’t t see it working.

R2010

May 23, 2011
I personally don't care all that much if he ends up at Centre or not. If he's on the wing he ends up being like a Hossa. He will help elevate some 2nd line centre into a 1st line position.

Reactions: DrEasy

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Personally I'd like to see Nick Paul play center between Stützle and Batherson

Stützle and Paul can share center duty later in the year where Paul takes key face-off draws

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'd wait a few more games before putting him at centre, but am not opposed to him randomly starting as a centre. I feel he's responded to adversity and can perform in any situation

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

I just think Taylor Hall is a bad comparison because he has the hockey IQ of a lamp post.

Stützle has that in spades.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He said he sees him there while some on the scouting staff see him on the wing last I remember. I’m sure he will get his shot at center. Personally I just don’t t see it working.

Why don't you see it working? He is too far removed from playing C?

I would think going to a men's league at 17 had a learning curve so he couldn't play and then at the juniors their team makeup didn't allow for it to maximize their skill and now he has the burden of the NHL to learn.

If he has played a lot of C he will pick it up again quick and how he is reading the play already screams C to me...but if he ends up a dynamic W that is fine too.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Why don't you see it working? He is too far removed from playing C?

I would think going to a men's league at 17 had a learning curve so he couldn't play and then at the juniors their team makeup didn't allow for it to maximize their skill and now he has the burden of the NHL to learn.

If he has played a lot of C he will pick it up again quick and how he is reading the play already screams C to me...but if he ends up a dynamic W that is fine too.
I just don’t see the precedent. Which decreases the chances for me. But ffffaaaaaaaarrrrrrrr the best player on both his wjc teams. And they still had him at wing I just think the wing is where he likes to make plays.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I just think Taylor Hall is a bad comparison because he has the hockey IQ of a lamp post.

Stützle has that in spades.
Well we disagree on Taylor hall. He obviously an elite hockey player he was the mvp not long ago. Mark stone has great IQ too. He’s not at center. Hossa? Not at center. Alfie? Not at center. I just don’t see it. I could be wrong and I hope I am wrong because we need a center to emerge here. I just can’t think of the last time this has been done

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Well we disagree on Taylor hall. He obviously an elite hockey player he was the mvp not long ago. Mark stone has great IQ too. He’s not at center. Hossa? Not at center. Alfie? Not at center. I just don’t see it. I could be wrong and I hope I am wrong because we need a center to emerge here. I just can’t think of the last time this has been done

We definitely disagree on Hall.

But I do agree with you about Stone and the others having great IQ. Doesn't mean they are C's though.

I respect your take on Stützle though and do appreciate the thought limited time at C over the past 2 years does potentially hinder the transition to C in the NHL.

I will say that from the limited video available of Stützle playing C recently, that he seems comfortable and plays the position well.

We shall see. If he fails to work out at C, we know that we have a potential elite W so its all good.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I just don’t see the precedent. Which decreases the chances for me. But ffffaaaaaaaarrrrrrrr the best player on both his wjc teams. And they still had him at wing I just think the wing is where he likes to make plays.

Stutzle played C 2 years ago.

He didn’t play C in Germany cause well pro league as 17 y/o. He didn’t play C in last WJC cause Elias was their next group of best player and they wanted to stack line plus he came off wrist/hand injury and they didn’t want him taking faceoffs.

Stutzle is a natural C. The best comparable for Stutzle is Giroux in the way that they can play both exceptionally well but started off as wing cause of lack of strength and to get acclimated to the game.

Hall comparison makes little sense. Hall is a tunnel vision scorer who plays north south game. Stutzle is a playmaker with oozing creativity and defensive awareness(6th on our team in takeaways already).

Last edited:
Reactions: DJB

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don't disagree, but I would like to see if L. Brown can make a difference at some point this yr to give Ottawa a better idea of what their future could look like. And then there is Stutzle & whether he would be more dominating at centre or on the wing, I like him on the wing.

They also have Pinto coming & they could turn Paul into a centre should they want. I like Guenther RW a lot & think he would be a perfect compliment to Tkachuk & Norris at RW, almost like another version of Batherson. But if Brown doesn't work out I assume they would go after one of Beniers or Johnson depending where they end up ranked at yrs end.

One of the reasons that Nick Paul is really successful is because he is very fast, in first on the forecheck, closing gaps on the D, hitting them, and winning battles with his size and long reach then pivoting to put his ass between the puck and the D to buy time to make a play. He's doing that really well and in large part it's why he's successful. Count how many times he does that and it leads to shift domination

Switching him to center you lose what he's doing well. He should still take draws but he's succeeding on the wing

Reactions: Emrasie

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

The WJC position is all about the other C not making good wingers. It is a myth that a C can switch to wing and be effective immediately.

Germany needed their C to stay C and Stu was still dynamic from the W sont make sense to have him there and let others keep their more natural position.

Anyway, all good I was just curious if there was a part of his game you thought wouldn't allow him to move back to C.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Stutzle played C 2 years ago.

He didn’t play C in Germany cause well pro league as 17 y/o. He didn’t play C in last WJC cause Elias was their next group of best player and they wanted to stack line plus he came off wrist/hand injury and they didn’t want him taking faceoffs.

Stutzle is a natural C. The best comparable for Stutzle is Giroux in the way that they can play both exceptionally well but started off as wing cause of lack of strength and to get acclimated to the game.

Hall comparison makes little sense. Hall is a tunnel vision scorer who plays north south game. Stutzle is a playmaker with oozing creativity and defensive awareness(6th on our team in takeaways already).
Okay when was the last time a natural C was shoved over to the wing at the wjc for a worse player. Wasn’t at C the year before except for that like 4 shifts with paterka and reichel.
I didn’t say hall was the same as stutzle. I’m just looking for the last time something like this has happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->