Confirmed with Link: Tim Speltz promoted to head Amateur Scout, Scott Bell hired as Area Scout based in Minnesota

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I guess. Although I'd love to hear the reasoning behind some of their decisions over other guys who were available.
A lot of guys public sources have as like 120 or 130 NHL teams think have no chance of being NHLers. They rank guys they have 20 or so live viewings of, and who they think have legitimate chances of being an NHLer.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I guess. Although I'd love to hear the reasoning behind some of their decisions over other guys who were available.
I'd like to hear the arguments going for every pick regardless, it would make for great fun. But, like 93Leafs said, I have guys that were in my top 100 that went undrafted, the highest I had at 54.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
With the promoting of long time WHL GM and scout to head of amateur scouting perhaps now the Leafs will be more focused on the WHL his expertise and not be so a sleep at the wheel when it comes to drafting WHLers so that Mat Barzal and Shea Theodore types will not slip through the Leafs grasp in the future.

Might have more Kelowna Rockets on the Leafs also and can't go wrong with that either.
Get over it. No, the Leafs didn't draft your crush, but they got the superior player. We will see what Barzal does when he plays under a real head coach who asks him to backcheck.

Reactions: stickty111

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Crazy that Tom Watt is still with the organization after all these years. I remember when the guy was the head coach!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd like to hear the arguments going for every pick regardless, it would make for great fun. But, like 93Leafs said, I have guys that were in my top 100 that went undrafted, the highest I had at 54.

Highest I had was Kotkov (2nd round grade; only one I had left) and he was signed by San Jose right after the draft.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Not so sure they'll target Kelowna specifically. If anything, he'll target Spokane like crazy since he was a GM there for like 25 years.

Derkatch will probably target Prince Albert a fair bit since he was the former GM there too. Ian Scott for example was Derkatch's selection when he was GM there.

Oh no, looks like the Leafs will now only drafting players from SS Marie, Spokane and Prince Albert. Remember back in in 1989 when the Leafs had three first rounders. Drafted three Belleville Bulls, and that didn't turn out well.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Oh no, looks like the Leafs will now only drafting players from SS Marie, Spokane and Prince Albert. Remember back in in 1989 when the Leafs had three first rounders. Drafted three Belleville Bulls, and that didn't turn out well.

You can add Sherbrooke and Saginaw to that list too. Robidas is the Co-Owner of Sherbrooke, and we have the guy who essentially built the franchise in Charbonneau. Kisil was an assistant coach and has been in the Michigan hockey scene since he was done playing hockey himself, and Paliafito was their former GM.

With Bell around now, we may be drafting a lot more out of Minnesota as well. HSer's and USHLers. I do not mind targeting those places more.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Dale (Dirk) lives in Regina and scouts out west as well as Europe or at least he did the last 2 seasons. I am glad he survived all the changes as he was a Hunter hire as they met through Hunters Brother Dale as Dirk scouted for Washington before taking a job at Notre Dame in Wilcox to run their hockey program.

Dale then left Notre Dame to coach his WHL team Regina. Then moved on to scout and be a WHL GM. Dirk was responsible for Bring Rielly, And several other NHL players to Notre Dame while running that hockey program. Couts was his second line center behind jaden Schwartz on his Midget team. Rielly came in Dirk’s last recruitment class along with 3 other NHL picks/players. Slater Koekkoek, Stephen Matteau Jr , Liam O’Brien, all who played in the NHL on the same Midget team.

He is a good scout so I am happy that he has survived the cuts etc

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
The McDavid draft had a spectacular first round. Marner was a great pick. Boston passing on Barzal 3 times and then Edmonton trading the pick away for WHL stud d man Griffin Reinhardt would be relevant remarks about WHL scouting. The Leafs picking Marner at 4 is not comparable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad