Tim Kawakami: Unfiltered Interview with Drew Remenda (Audio)

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
Whoa, 30 minute audio clip and no transcript. Can someone summarize? Lazy Kawakami. :laugh:

Let's see (and I may be wrong). And in no particular order.

Marleau worst year ever but he doesn't have many.
Thornton aint going anywhere.
Likes Todd.
DW and Joe feud should've never happened but yeah there is something going on there.

Drew thinks he was fired cause he voiced his opinions and cares too much about the Sharks and still does even though he is in Edmonton.

TV deal is the worst for Sharks and there is a chance if nothing changes that Sharks could move out of SJ. Time will tell.

Hasso might have to open his wallet. Pays Tv expenses out of pocket to cover losses from revenue.

Thinks Sharks are where they expected to be sans playoffs since DW kept calling for "tomorrows team"

Edmonton is a ways away from becoming a playoff team anytime soon.

I'm sure i missed other stuff but trying to go off memory.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Listening to that podcast, I guess Drew is in my camp of believing the ownership's goal is to move the Sharks. He has brought up other points on why it might make sense for them to move.

Those, in addition to my point of why in the heck would the Sharks located their minor league team in the same city.

It's beginning to add up.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Listening to that podcast, I guess Drew is in my camp of believing the ownership's goal is to move the Sharks. He has brought up other points on why it might make sense for them to move.

Those, in addition to my point of why in the heck would the Sharks located their minor league team in the same city.

I hear there's a stadium in Vegas looking for a team.

"Ladies and Gentleman, Yoooouuuuuuuur LAS VEGAS SHAAARKS!!"

sharski

Jun 4, 2012

if this happens, and the Sharks win a cup for another city... holy crap, what else can be piled on to the fans

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I really don't know how the hell you came to that conclusion based on what he said. That is so far off.

I hear there's a stadium in Vegas looking for a team.

"Ladies and Gentleman, Yoooouuuuuuuur LAS VEGAS SHAAARKS!!"

The Vegas team will be in existence before the Sharks are able to move.

Would moving be as simple as moving to SF?

No because the TV contract would still be in effect. To break that deal, the Sharks would have to move out of the market. Then that pretty much opens the door for someone to come in if they go that route. And you can bet your bottom dollar someone, maybe in Arizona, would take that opportunity if it presented itself to move into SJ and get its own TV contract.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
If the arena lease isn't re-upped, I could see them in S.F. The Warriors are open to sharing their new arena with the Sharks, I've heard.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley

95235-Jennifer-Aniston-REALLY-gif-Im-3WOK.gif

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

HurrjOo.jpg

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
No because the TV contract would still be in effect. To break that deal, the Sharks would have to move out of the market. Then that pretty much opens the door for someone to come in if they go that route. And you can bet your bottom dollar someone, maybe in Arizona, would take that opportunity if it presented itself to move into SJ and get its own TV contract.
I still don't get why the TV contract is ironclad

if it's so bad that the Sharks get serious about moving, wouldn't Comcast much rather re-negotiate a deal rather than go through a period where they have NO NHL team until someone replaces the sharks in the bay area?

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
If the arena lease isn't re-upped, I could see them in S.F. The Warriors are open to sharing their new arena with the Sharks, I've heard.

while I HATE the fact that the Warriors are moving to San Francisco, this is the only "move" for the Sharks that would be remotely acceptable to me, since they'd still be in the bay area

unless of course the Sharks want to come to Fremont... maybe that's why there's a Sharks Ice here :sarcasm:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I can't. It would probably be much worse for them to be a tenant in SF with the Warriors since the move wouldn't break the TV deal AND they lose a lot of revenue streams not being the arena manager.

I still don't get why the TV contract is ironclad

if it's so bad that the Sharks get serious about moving, wouldn't Comcast much rather re-negotiate a deal rather than go through a period where they have NO NHL team until someone replaces the sharks in the bay area?

Nobody really does because the particulars aren't shared in its entirety publicly. As far as I've seen, it's a very long term (2027, I think) very much small potatoes contract. If there's an escape clause or a buyout or something in there, I haven't heard it. But for Comcast, it's a steal so maybe they would prefer to call the team's bluff instead of working with them to make it a fair deal.

But I'm pretty sure if they call the team's bluff and the team actually followed through with relocating, another team would find its way back into SJ relatively quickly.

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
But the league could help the Sharks by giving the team the rights to the bay area for a small fee that if any team wanted to move here they would get something like 100+ million giving the Sharks leverage and could therefore threaten to move to someplace like Seattle to temporarily occupy a new arena to show that the city is a viable alternative and then since the old broadcast contract would be null and void the team could then move back San Jose and then they would hold up the broadcasters for a bundle and heap scorn on the network with the help of the NHL. If this plan were instituted the Sharks before moving with the leagues approval they could offer the Network an option to renegotiate while offering to honor the next two years of the contract and after the two years a new contract would be negotiated.

Also If I was in charge I would also investigate the possibility that whoever was in charge for the Sharks at the time colluded with the broadcaster or to see if there were shenanigans involved. I only see this a a 5% possibility but seeing the length of the contract and the favorable terms for the broadcaster, who knows, it is worth investigating.

I'm not certain any of this is workable for sure but some strategy like this is worth investigating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad