Tim Horton's sponsoring 2012 NHL All Star Game

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Damn, I can already foreshadow their cheesy ads.

Seriously, there is not one company with more annoying ads than Tim Horton's. It's the absolute worst. You're selling ******* overprice coffee, not bliss/hope/courage.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
I can imagine more than a few Americans wondering "WTF is Tim Hortons?" when watching the game this year....

Tim's has been expanding quite a bit in the States, haven't they?

Though I've noticed they put some subheading like 'Coffee & Bake Shop' in the logo. Not sure why, seems rather self-evident that they do coffee and donuts.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Tim's has been expanding quite a bit in the States, haven't they?

Though I've noticed they put some subheading like 'Coffee & Bake Shop' in the logo. Not sure why, seems rather self-evident that they do coffee and donuts.

I'll take your word at it, but I've never seen one.

Hamilton Tigers

Mar 20, 2010
Hamilton
As of July 3rd, 2011, Tim Hortons had 3,811 systemwide restaurants, including 3,189 in Canada and 622 in the United States.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ti...11-results-conference-call-2011-10-19-101900e information about the Company is available at www.timhortons.com

Based in Oakville, Ont., Tim Hortons is Canada's biggest restaurant chain and the fourth-biggest in North America with more than 3,700 restaurants on the continent.

Though it has already opened extensive operations in the United States, self-serve kiosks in the U.K. and a temporary location at Kandahar Airfield for troops in Afghanistan, the Dubai store is its first full-serve restaurant outside of North America.
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/...lans-111005/20111005/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

Tim Hortons’ dominance of the Canadian market is well-established, with data showing the company accounts for 41.8% of all quick-serve restaurant traffic. The next closest competitor is McDonald’s with a distant 15.1% share.

South of the border, Tim Hortons is a more regional brand, found in several northeastern states. Still, the company’s footprint has a population of 70 million people, double that of Canada.

This is the real opportunity for growth for the company, Ms. Baker said, noting Tim Hortons has been shifting its attention to the United States by doubling its outlets over the past five years.

‘The company has seen store density as the key in the past to build up the Tim’s habit with consumers, and as such a focus on ‘dense-ing up’ will be integral to driving the U.S. business forward,” she said.
http://business.financialpost.com/2011/10/26/u-s-expansion-key-to-tim-hortons-growth/

Last edited:

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
I can tell you, Timmy Hos is ALL over Western New York. they have like 4 locations in the Lockport area alone.

Labatts is also a top selling Beer in WNY too.

It's like turning into Canada here, eh?

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I can tell you, Timmy Hos is ALL over Western New York. they have like 4 locations in the Lockport area alone.

Labatts is also a top selling Beer in WNY too.

It's like turning into Canada here, eh?

Canadians don't drink Labatt's - tastes like crap so we export it :snide:

I think it's a smart idea by Tim's tho, like someone above said, a ton of people in the US will be watching and thinking to themselves "What the hell is Tim Horton's??". And now they'll know, and they'll get addicted to the G-rated coffee-flavoured beverage they sell.

Last edited:

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
Canadians don't drink Labatt's - tastes like crap so we export it :snide:

I think it's a smart idea by Tim's tho, like someone above said, a ton of people in the US will be watching and thinking to themselves "What the hell is Tim Horton's??". And now they'll know, and they'll get addicted to the G-rated coffee-flavoured beverage they sell.

I know I'll be stopping for a cup of their coffee flavoured crack on the way in to work this morning.

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
ive been to a timmy a couple times in upstate ny and both times there was absolutely no one....in the morning too :laugh:

Greyhounds

Sep 30, 2005
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
The Tim Horton's in my northern Ontario hometown are always packed in the morning with people getting their coffee. As someone said, most stores in New England closed; I think they still have one in Maine or something.

I noticed a couple years ago or so that their donuts now tasted like cardboard. I later found out that the stores no longer make their own. They receive frozen goods from HQ. No wonder they taste like crap now. However, their coffee is good.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Mod note -- shall we keep this on the sponsorship and not compare coffee/donut taste/quality, please.

(You all are making me think of making a 4K run -- Krispie Kream Kraving Knockout.)

Tinalera

Feb 3, 2007
The Known Universe
I can understand wanting to get the name brand out there-but along with the people "what the heck is Tim Hortons?" as others have said-there are more States that DONT have a Tims than do. Are they maybe hoping people will start demanding a Tims in their area?

I guess I just wonder what's the idea in getting a product out to people where they have no way to get to access one?

dronald

Mar 4, 2011
Hamilton, ON
I can understand wanting to get the name brand out there-but along with the people "what the heck is Tim Hortons?" as others have said-there are more States that DONT have a Tims than do. Are they maybe hoping people will start demanding a Tims in their area?

I guess I just wonder what's the idea in getting a product out to people where they have no way to get to access one?

Perhaps they want people asking that.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Just creating the brand awareness amongst Americans is huge. Having that in place will make transitioning into unsaturated parts of the US market much easier (that alongside various other marketing strategies, obviously).

I would have little knowledge of brands such as Carlsberg, Barclaycard, Lucozade and Emirates were it not for their considerable presence within European football.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I can imagine more than a few Americans wondering "WTF is Tim Hortons?" when watching the game this year....

That's amazing! I just did a Google Maps search for Tim Hortons near Columbus, Ohio and quick counted 31 locations in the Columbus area. I go there every day for coffee and my wife gets some kind of Timmy's French Vanilla capuccino at Blue Jackets games.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Because it's no longer just about donuts. Lunches are big business for them now, for example.

They do much more than doughnuts. They have several of breakfast sandwiches and do a large lunch business. They sell a lot of soups and sandwiches. Some of the items they promote locally seem a bit odd to me though. Last winter they heavily promoted Egg Salad Sandwiches in this area.

ive been to a timmy a couple times in upstate ny and both times there was absolutely no one....in the morning too :laugh:

They are packed in Columbus. There is a traffic jam at every drive through for several hours each morning. They sell a lot here.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
There are Timmy Ho's all over the Northeast, including a handful in West Virginia even. Only one in the states I've been to have been in Manhattan. There's one in Penn Station, and a couple other scattered throughout the isle.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
You will know when Tims hits your town when there are six of them within a 2 block radius. That is even a joke in one of their commercials.

I went to one in Manhattan and it was dark and dingy but it had the same stuff, just scaled down. The closest one that compares to a Canadian version I've seen is in the Upstate New York/Buffalo area. They even had some donuts I wished they had in Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->