Tim Erixon vs Ian Cole vs Jared Cowen

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
Hi there,

I simply wanted to know who's got the best potential out those players? Also could anyone tell me where they are in there developpement? Also rank the prospect 1,2,3.

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011
Hi there,

I simply wanted to know who's got the best potential out those players? Also could anyone tell me where they are in there developpement? Also rank the prospect 1,2,3.

I would definitely say that out of those 3 players Cowen certainly has the most potential. Ian Cole will be a solid top 4 shutdown guy for St. Louis and is the most nhl ready though i'll admit i've seen the least of him out of these 3. Tim Erixon has impressed me every time i've seen him play. I would even venture to say that he was Sweden's best defenseman at this years WJC, though Larsson stepped it up when it counted. Good size, good skating and a physical guy - reminded me a bit of Niklas Kronwall last time I saw him live.

In terms of rating solely on potential I would probably go:
1. Cown
2. Erixon
3. Cole

Though I think you can easily switch Cole and Erixon - Erixon probably has the higher ceiling but Cole is probably more likely to reach his

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Erixon is as much of a surefire NHLer you will find. At worst a #4 and likely a #2. I dont believe his upside is as big as Cowen though and I dont know that much about Cole to rank them.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
1. Erixon
2. Cowen
3. Cole

They'll all be full-time NHLers next year.

I'd say the potential is very close between Erixon and Cowen. It might take Cowen longer to find his offensive game at the NHL level though which I guess is expected.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Erixon is as much of a surefire NHLer you will find. At worst a #4 and likely a #2. I dont believe his upside is as big as Cowen though and I dont know that much about Cole to rank them.

Pretty much my thoughts. Erixon may spend some time in the AHL, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is in the NHL before the end of next season.

Cowen has the higher ceiling, but Erixon is about as safe a prospect as you will find, outside of a top-5 pick. I would be very surprised if he didn't have a solid NHL career.

Cole I really don't know at all.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Cole is awesome, and should be a regular by next season's end. He may start in Peoria and be given #1 minutes and responsibilities...but it's only a matter of time before he's in STL full-time. He'll likely be a good #3/2nd-pairing guy. He's built like a brick-wall and has excellent mobility and overall instincts. He'll probably excel more in the defensive end than the offensive end, but that's not to say he's doesn't have offensive upside. I could see him putting up 5-10 goals & 30-40 points on an annual basis...once he gets acclimated to the league and established.

He's got a hard, accurate shot, an excellent outlet pass and has been given time to properly develop, rather than being thrown right into the fire. He's a 2007 draft-pick that played 3 seasons at Notre Dame, and he just finished his first season as a pro...primarily in Peoria with some time in STL where he did not look out of place. Coming out of training camp last season, most people thought he had out-performed Alex Pietrangelo and earned the roster spot with the big club...but the club obviously knew what it was doing by putting Cole in the AHL and keeping Petro with the big club. The only draw-back with Cole is that he's had several concussions since being drafted...and who knows how much of an impact that's going to have on him moving forward. If he can remain relatively healthy, he'll be a stud...but it wouldn't surprise me to see him out of hockey all together in 5 years if he keeps getting his brain scrambled.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Hard to call defensemen safe prospects, but I think all 3 guys will be in the NHL pretty soon, no glaring weaknesses that will stop them.

Pyke*

Unless my memory is fading me in my old age, isn't Cowen the only one of these with elite size? I think he's got the highest ceiling of the bunch - though whether he becomes just a top 4 guy, a shutdown defender, or a true #1 in the style of Chris Pronger or Zdeno Chara is unknown.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Unless my memory is fading me in my old age, isn't Cowen the only one of these with elite size? I think he's got the highest ceiling of the bunch - though whether he becomes just a top 4 guy, a shutdown defender, or a true #1 in the style of Chris Pronger or Zdeno Chara is unknown.

Yeah Erixon has decent size but certainly isn't huge.

He'd likely be more in the style of a Toni Lydman - very good skater, decent shot, good outlet passes - but he's not going to be a hulking presence in front of the net.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Yeah Erixon has decent size but certainly isn't huge.

He'd likely be more in the style of a Toni Lydman - very good skater, decent shot, good outlet passes - but he's not going to be a hulking presence in front of the net.

Pretty much but he's got one of the hardest slapper you'll see from a prospect. He shoots like a horse kicks.

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com
Cowen has beast potential, the most size and strongest offensive ability of the trio.

Ian Cole has good size and projects as a steady defender. I've mostly seen him in a limited pro role but I think he will stick.

Erixon is similar, he is a little smaller but can fill out a bit still. He seems to be performing well in Sweden, I primarily saw him in the 09 Worlds. Looks like he will be sound, he and Cole I think is a fair comparison, both potential top four guys and similar NHL ETAs (Cole already played about half a season, Erixon will be there soon having played a couple SEL campaigns now).

Garl

Oct 7, 2006

Erixon is smth like 6'3'-6'4 210 lbs. Cole is 6'1 225. They are big.

HockeyHooligans

TERRORSENKO
Feb 4, 2008
St. Louis
Any issues with Erixon coming over?

I'd probable go:

Cowen

Cole/Erixon

Obviously know more about Cole. He's got great instincts out there, above average passing ability, solid shot, and his defensive/hitting game is something he can always fall back on. Looked good in NHL games this season but I can tell he could be better with more games under his belt, especially the timing. Anxious to see him in camp again and hopefully can find a spot on the Blues roster at some point in the coming season which is somewhat set already, though I would expect Carlo/Jackman to get hurt at some point. Another season at AHL Peoria won't hurt him either playing big minutes. 1Petro/2Shatty/3Polak/4Carlo/5Jackman... Cole? Nikitin? or Free agent/trade.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Any issues with Erixon coming over?

I'd probable go:

Cowen

Cole/Erixon

Obviously know more about Cole. He's got great instincts out there, above average passing ability, solid shot, and his defensive/hitting game is something he can always fall back on. Looked good in NHL games this season but I can tell he could be better with more games under his belt, especially the timing. Anxious to see him in camp again and hopefully can find a spot on the Blues roster at some point in the coming season which is somewhat set already, though I would expect Carlo/Jackman to get hurt at some point. Another season at AHL Peoria won't hurt him either playing big minutes. 1Petro/2Shatty/3Polak/4Carlo/5Jackman... Cole? Nikitin? or Free agent/trade.

What do you mean by issues? Pretty sure he is already committed to coming to NA next year whether he's in the NHL or AHL.

If you mean will be have trouble transitioning his game, he might need a bit of time. But he has played in the SEL against veterans and performed at a very high level this year, so I don't think he'll have a ton of issues.

I could see him in the AHL to start the year, but I'd be surprised if he isn't in Calgary by the end of the year. Then again if Brodie continues to progress he could grab an NHL roster spot and keep Erixon in the AHL for a full year.

HockeyHooligans

TERRORSENKO
Feb 4, 2008
St. Louis
What do you mean by issues? Pretty sure he is already committed to coming to NA next year whether he's in the NHL or AHL.

If you mean will be have trouble transitioning his game, he might need a bit of time. But he has played in the SEL against veterans and performed at a very high level this year, so I don't think he'll have a ton of issues.

I could see him in the AHL to start the year, but I'd be surprised if he isn't in Calgary by the end of the year. Then again if Brodie continues to progress he could grab an NHL roster spot and keep Erixon in the AHL for a full year.

Just never personally heard what his status was as far as coming over, AHL/NHL and what not. Sounds like he'll have a pretty good chance at the NHL fairly soon.

What do you see Brodies upside to be?

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Just never personally heard what his status was as far as coming over, AHL/NHL and what not. Sounds like he'll have a pretty good chance at the NHL fairly soon.

What do you see Brodies upside to be?

I see his potential as a #3 defender who excels on the PP.

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com
Erixon is smth like 6'3'-6'4 210 lbs. Cole is 6'1 225. They are big.

Cole has good size, you've got his measurements close to correct, he's probably a little lighter but no more than ten pounds less. Split the difference and call him 220. He's got NHL size.

Erixon is not that big, I have only once seem him listed at 200. Obviously I am not an expert like a clothing designer or a carnival worker, but I'd say 200 is generous. Call it 195 and I've never once seen him listed above 6'2".

I don't think size is an issue with either guy but Cowen is bigger at 6'5" and at least 220 pounds with room to add weight.

Both the first two players have a danger of blending into the background a bit, being solid guys who are somewhere in the middle of a D corps. Cowen has a fair shot of being a 1A/1B guy, I think.

Pyke*

Cole has good size, you've got his measurements close to correct, he's probably a little lighter but no more than ten pounds less. Split the difference and call him 220. He's got NHL size.

Erixon is not that big, I have only once seem him listed at 200. Obviously I am not an expert like a clothing designer or a carnival worker, but I'd say 200 is generous. Call it 195 and I've never once seen him listed above 6'2".

I don't think size is an issue with either guy but Cowen is bigger at 6'5" and at least 220 pounds with room to add weight.

Both the first two players have a danger of blending into the background a bit, being solid guys who are somewhere in the middle of a D corps. Cowen has a fair shot of being a 1A/1B guy, I think.

I believe Jared Cowen is up over 235 at the moment.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
I know a lot about Cowen and now Cole, but I saw that Erixon was rated like 20 spots above Cowen in the hockey news prospect rankings, what's so special? (honest question, don't know much about him)

Ladra

Jan 29, 2011
I know a lot about Cowen and now Cole, but I saw that Erixon was rated like 20 spots above Cowen in the hockey news prospect rankings, what's so special? (honest question, don't know much about him)

He has a great slapper.
You almost don't notice him when he is playing. He hardly ever makes any misstakes.
He was prolly the best Skellefteå D in the SEL PO, better than David Rundblad and Adam Larsson. And he was one of the better Swedish defencemen in the WHC. He hasn't show that he will be a super star or anything, but he is just all around solid.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
He has a great slapper.
You almost don't notice him when he is playing. He hardly ever makes any misstakes.
He was prolly the best Skellefteå D in the SEL PO, better than David Rundblad and Adam Larsson. And he was one of the better Swedish defencemen in the WHC. He hasn't show that he will be a super star or anything, but he is just all around solid.

Nice, what kind of dmen could you compare him to?

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Nice, what kind of dmen could you compare him to?

I'd stick with my Toni Lydman comparison with maybe a bit more offensive upside.

People don't notice Lydman because he doesn't lay out people or get a ton of points. But when you look at all his numbers at the end of every year (+/- and points) they're typically very solid. I think he is a very under-rated defenceman.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
He has a great slapper.

He has also quietly been producing lots of points. Erixon actually broke the record for most points by a junior d-man in SEL all times this season. Looks like he will be a solid twoway d-man that can contribute on the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->