Tim Brent. Where will he go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Since Anaheim didn't resign him, Tim Brent will re-enter into this years Draft.

A solid pro-ready 20 year old prospect, I'd call him an absolute steal anywhere in the third round.

Any thoughts? Opinions? Where would you pick him?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Wow, they didn't sign him? I was unaware.

I think he'd be a decent 3rd or 4th rounder.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I will pray day and night the Flyers will make a move to get him.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
I woud love to see the Bruins draft him with their second round pick....assuming he is still on the board.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
mazmin said:
Since Anaheim didn't resign him, Tim Brent will re-enter into this years Draft.

A solid pro-ready 20 year old prospect, I'd call him an absolute steal anywhere in the third round.

Any thoughts? Opinions? Where would you pick him?

Any word on why the Ducks didn't sign him?Did he want 1st round money?Attitude problem?

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
CREW99AW said:
Any word on why the Ducks didn't sign him?Did he want 1st round money?Attitude problem?

"It's disappointing," Ducks general manager Bryan Murray said. "There was a sense (Monday) that it was going to get done, and then (Tuesday), no sense that they were really interested in our offer."

My guess is Brent and his agent were looking for first round money at the last minute...so good luck to whoever takes him in the second round this year...he probably wants the maximum entry contract.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
"It's disappointing," Ducks general manager Bryan Murray said. "There was a sense (Monday) that it was going to get done, and then (Tuesday), no sense that they were really interested in our offer."

My guess is Brent and his agent were looking for first round money at the last minute...so good luck to whoever takes him in the second round this year...he probably wants the maximum entry contract.

Imo, that's once more agent greed. Even if he's drafted this year, he (most likely)won't have to be signed before the next CBA which will most probably crackdown on rookie contracts (especially bonus clauses). I guess he's banking on being a 1st round pick this time around.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
In the mock draft that I was in (markov's) I picked him up for the pens with the first pick of round 3 (pick #61).

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Smail said:
Imo, that's once more agent greed. Even if he's drafted this year, he (most likely)won't have to be signed before the next CBA which will most probably crackdown on rookie contracts (especially bonus clauses). I guess he's banking on being a 1st round pick this time around.

I guess thats true if the new team waits for the new CBA...he would have to do another year in the OHL though...he is AHL ready...

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
I guess thats true if the new team waits for the new CBA...he would have to do another year in the OHL though...he is AHL ready...

I really doubt that he would be signed before the new CBA, especially if his monetary demands are high (unless a wealthy team drafts him).

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Smail said:
I really doubt that he would be signed before the new CBA, especially if his monetary demands are high (unless a wealthy team drafts him).

agreed...Tim Brent congrats on spending 04/05 in the OHL...

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
moonstomper said:
the Canes have several picks in the 2nd 3rd round range, I think hed be a great pick
i agree. the canes are short on prospects and could use an older one that isnt so far from the nhl as the others they will pick that day. they also have done it before with rob zepp and mike zigomanis. if he fell to their second 2nd rounder or first 3rd - i would think they would do it.

Jerky Leclerc

Feb 27, 2002
Anaheim
Visit site
The Spaz said:
Is Tim Brent that great?

Brent made a mistake. There is no way he will be taken higher than 37th again. I've seen him twice in training camp and he looks like a surefire NHLer. But his potential is that of a third-fourth line depth player. He has a nice package of skill and I thought he would be in Anaheim sooner rather than later. Too bad. His agent gambled and now he's going to get less money in an organization that hasn't really invested much in him like the Ducks have. IMO, everyone loses out when a player re-enters the draft.

Tjan9

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Brent

Actually this was in an article from a Kitchener paper....

Brent, the 37th overall pick in the NHL draft in Toronto two Junes ago, has played four seasons with the Majors, including two as team captain. In 2001, the Hespeler and Cambridge minor hockey product was captain of the national under-18 team which won gold at the Six Nations Cup. Yesterday, Brent said he and Anaheim never got close to an agreement on financial terms of his first NHL contract. Brent said the two sides were far apart on salary and signing bonus. Brent, who is considered a natural leader, and strong two-way player, wouldn't disclose any numbers from yesterday's failed last-minute discussions with the Ducks. However, Brent said he wasn't asking for anything close to the $1.185-million maximum annual salary a player drafted in 2002 may earn in a three-year deal under the NHL's rookie cap.
"I know what some other guys had gotten," Brent said.
"Guys who I thought were comparable to myself. I wasn't getting offered close to that."
So now, after two years of thinking he was destined to be a Duck, Brent must wait and see which NHL club will take him later this month.
"As of now, I'm not a Mighty Duck anymore. It's a little bit of a weird feeling. I remember how happy I was on draft day and how happy I have been the last two years to be a member of the organization. It's just too bad that it had to end," Brent said.
"I thought I did everything Anaheim had asked me for. Hopefully, other (NHL) teams will see that and will give me a chance to play in their organization next year."

I think he's a great player, and it's a shame the Ducks couldn't get it done because he would have been a great addition to their organization!

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
It looks like most of you peg him to go mid-first round to anywhere in the third. I thought someone would be so blunt as to predict him going in the 1st round.

I'm happy he didnt sign with the Ducks...i'd rather see a character player like him play somewhere not owned by Disney...or in California...or in Florida for that matter. :dunno:

1chlfan

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Tim Brent

I've watched Tim play for the last 4 years in Toronto, and he just gets better and better every year. People sometime look at his stats and think that they are average, but what they dont see is things like Tim had to play i'd say 10 games on the blueline this year because Toronto ran into some very bad and long injuries. This left their defense short and weak. Tim is the type of player that would have no problem playing the position/role asked of him to play. His leadership is second to none. He is great in the face off cirlce, and he plays with and without the puck. I truely believe he will be an NHL captain sometime down the road. Some teams ie.Washington who have a few first round picks IMO will take Tim as a safe pick. Tim Brent will be gone by early second round at latest.

Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
I could see the Senators taking him given that the owner of the Senators, Eugene Melnyk, also owns Brent's junior team, the St. Michael's Majors. Maybe the Sens could trade up in the second round (I don't see him going in the first round) to get him.

degroat*

A question for those of you that have seen him a number of times....

Is Michael Peca a valid comparison?

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
McDonald19 said:
so good luck to whoever takes him in the second round this year...he probably wants the maximum entry contract.
Why are you wishing the team that drafts Brent luck? They've got all of the cards, according to the current CBA. When a player is re-drafted, he's got two choices: sign or sit. Sure, he can go to Europe or sign as a free agent in the AHL, but his NHL career is tied to the team that drafts him that 2nd time. If he doesn't sign with the 2nd team, there is neither free agency nor another draft to bail him out. If anything, one would wish Brent luck. Pray that he's not drafted by notoriously cheap teams like Calgary or Edmonton (though it's forced on them) or Boston, who lowballs just about everybody. That is, of course, unless you don't like the kid, but as in all things, it goes both ways. Anaheim doesn't exactly have a history of signing important guys to the franchise.

~Crazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->