Tim Army

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
There's been no evidence about this, people just assume. The Avs PP set up kind of looks like the Roy had in the Q, so Roy might be running the PP.

The "evidence" is the drop pass while gaining entry to the offensive zone that was employed last year under Sacco, and now it's seemingly back under Roy...it's a little concerning because it doesn't work a lot of the time and it eats up the PP just getting into the zone.

IF he is the one running the PP he needs to come up with a different zone entry technique, because the way it is currently it doesn't work.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The "evidence" is the drop pass while gaining entry to the offensive zone that was employed last year under Sacco, and now it's seemingly back under Roy...it's a little concerning because it doesn't work a lot of the time and it eats up the PP just getting into the zone.

IF he is the one running the PP he needs to come up with a different zone entry technique, because the way it is currently it doesn't work.

Good point RL. That drop pass is a good indicator of the Sacco regime. I dont recall doing it in the puck possession Coach Q era. Perhaps its a question for Dater.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado

Except the Avs don't always do the drop pass. They weren't doing it opening night, but they changed it up when the PK of the other teams starting backing off and making it harder to just skate it into the zone.

The PP setup once they're in the zone is nothing like they've used in the past few years, so I don't think it's Army.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Except the Avs don't always do the drop pass. They weren't doing it opening night, but they changed it up when the PK of the other teams starting backing off and making it harder to just skate it into the zone.

The PP setup once they're in the zone is nothing like they've used in the past few years, so I don't think it's Army.

All valid points, I do maintain that perhaps the drop pass entry that they've been using the past couple of games was either a Sacco or Army device, and one that needs to stop.

Tim Army may be a fine assistant coach for all we know...but like I said above and in my previous post, IF he is the one that is designing either the PP or just how to gain the zone he needs a new strategy, the one employed the last couple of games aren't working.

I also find it terribly frustrating watching teams defensively denying us entry and when we're on the PK we seem to just concede the blue line and allow them to come in and set up shop...but that's another discussion for another time.

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
What are the Washington Capitals doing on their power play that is so hard to replicate by other teams? not just the avs in terms of speaking.

Of course we don't have an Ovie, Backstrom, and Green. But their set up doesn't look that hard to replicate. If we had the same set up we may not score as much as them, but surely it would yield some success?

e.g. Duchene or parenteau taking backstrom's role (right faceoff circle) , Johnson taking the point facing the net (green) and Barrie/Downie/Landeskog taking Ovie's role (one timers at the other f-dot)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Interesting. I wonder if that makes it less likely that he's replaced by Mario Duhamel or someone else at the end of the year like some of us assumed.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Regardless of whether or not he's running the PP, there are probably better assistant coaches out there.

As for the PP itself, it has looked better at times since game one and it does take some time to get going. With MacKinnon getting more comfortable maybe and getting more PP time, it might improve. Our PP is limited though you have to remember because we don't have any dman who's capable back there....EJ/Benoit are average, Barrie is slightly below but developing, and Elliott is in the A.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Regardless of whether or not he's running the PP, there are probably better assistant coaches out there.

As for the PP itself, it has looked better at times since game one and it does take some time to get going. With MacKinnon getting more comfortable maybe and getting more PP time, it might improve. Our PP is limited though you have to remember because we don't have any dman who's capable back there....EJ/Benoit are average, Barrie is slightly below but developing, and Elliott is in the A.

I disagree. I think Barrie is the best guy to put on powerplay, not Benoit or EJ. Barrie has been playing badly this season though, but he certainly has the most talent for that situation.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The PP sucks with or without the drop passes. There is no proper PPQB, Roy is reallying on the vision and passing skills of guys like Tangs and PAP ala Whitney for Dallas. Once, Barrie get's his head out of his ass the PP will start to click. I don't like the PP lines TBH.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
The announcers just said Army and Roy work on the PP first at practices. So, the drop-pass PP zone-entering is Army's brainchild. Just as suspected.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm fine with Benoit's play, his puckmoving ability has been a welcome addition to what was the most inept blueline in the NHL last season. Barrie is probably better but so far he looks nervous every time he touches the puck. I have a bigger issue with Sarich's defensive zone play than Benoit's.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It is saying something when this is what the fan base is complaining about. Enjoy the ride instead of finding something to complain about.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The announcers just said Army and Roy work on the PP first at practices. So, the drop-pass PP zone-entering is Army's brainchild. Just as suspected.
They didn't even do the drop pass tonight. People are overreacting because they did it a few times because the other team changed up their strategy defensively.

I do think it's funny that you mention both Roy and Army as working on the PP, and blame Army for the drop pass...

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Seriously? Why are we up in arms about a friggin' assistant coach? Obviously Roy and Sakic didn't have a problem with him--let's give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

As always, thank you Eurolanche for getting the insider information. If the coach likes him, the players like him, and the GM likes him, I'm okay with him too.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
They didn't even do the drop pass tonight. People are overreacting because they did it a few times because the other team changed up their strategy defensively.

I do think it's funny that you mention both Roy and Army as working on the PP, and blame Army for the drop pass...

Roy wasn't here last year when they were always drop-passing now was he? I believe Roy is responsible for trying to get rid of it. Which is why it isn't as prevalent anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->