Tiger Woods gets a DUI

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Dustin Johnson had an "addiction" issue that was public a year or two ago and he is doing fine now. There are probably dozens of pro golfers that have done worse things than Tiger has (this latest incident at least) through the years and went on to success.

He'll be back on Tour within due time (some time this year I suspect) - now whether or not he will ever play good again, that is the question.

Nothing to do with his pain pill addiction if he truly has one. It's more about his injured and repaired body.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
This thread is a ridiculous and hyperbolic overreaction. And considering I specialize in that, I should know.

I lost my best friend many years ago to a driver who was DUI. I think putting others and their lives at risk instead of doing the sensible thing by choosing to DUI is the most cowardly and disgusting thing in the world. Yes, Tiger was DUI and it's clear he had no business operating a motor vehicle and should've never been in the position to do so due to some irresponsible decisions on his part but it is disgusting and repulsive for the media to have engaged on the ridiculous witch hunt they've taken part in.

Tiger Woods has always been a polarizing athlete. Some of the criticism and dislike of him is justified due to personal mistakes and the facade he's put on, others don't like him because of his success... which is fine. But there is a ton of animosity and virulent hate that comes from an underlying place and it's obvious to cut through the thinly veiled crap when you see people pounce on the dude after an episode like this. The media and those fans who are all but reveling in joy and blowing this story out of proportion while dragging him through the mud should be ashamed of themselves. As should Tiger for his DUI which I will not and have not excused.

Instead of piling on though and delighting in seeing somebody going through struggles in their life, maybe those of you who enjoy being internet keyboard warriors should post rationally and wish him the best instead of hypothesizing with assumptions and operating in definitive statements you couldn't possibly know with any certainty.

Sorry if all of this is a bit late. Been out of country and haven't had a chance to see the details until now.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
This thread is a ridiculous and hyperbolic overreaction. And considering I specialize in that, I should know.

I lost my best friend many years ago to a driver who was DUI. I think putting others and their lives at risk instead of doing the sensible thing by choosing to DUI is the most cowardly and disgusting thing in the world. Yes, Tiger was DUI and it's clear he had no business operating a motor vehicle and should've never been in the position to do so due to some irresponsible decisions on his part but it is disgusting and repulsive for the media to have engaged on the ridiculous witch hunt they've taken part in.

Tiger Woods has always been a polarizing athlete. Some of the criticism and dislike of him is justified due to personal mistakes and the facade he's put on, others don't like him because of his success... which is fine. But there is a ton of animosity and virulent hate that comes from an underlying place and it's obvious to cut through the thinly veiled crap when you see people pounce on the dude after an episode like this. The media and those fans who are all but reveling in joy and blowing this story out of proportion while dragging him through the mud should be ashamed of themselves. As should Tiger for his DUI which I will not and have not excused.

Instead of piling on though and delighting in seeing somebody going through struggles in their life, maybe those of you who enjoy being internet keyboard warriors should post rationally and wish him the best instead of hypothesizing with assumptions and operating in definitive statements you couldn't possibly know with any certainty.

Sorry if all of this is a bit late. Been out of country and haven't had a chance to see the details until now.
Another exquisite post, Dogge! And welcome home!

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk

No offense but your bias is clouding your judgment. Had this been, say, John Daly (or even someone like Dustin Johnson), you and others would be singing a different tune. Or if your friend got killed by someone under the influence of pills rather than alcohol.

I actually like Tiger. He is the best thing to ever happen to modern golf. But he is a mess right now and doesn't deserve to be coddled. The over-the-top reactions from "Tiger haters" are linked to his fans who make excuses for everything. And that's what people are doing, regardless of whether pay lip service to being against DUI in all cases.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
No offense but your bias is clouding your judgment. Had this been, say, John Daly (or even someone like Dustin Johnson), you and others would be singing a different tune. Or if your friend got killed by someone under the influence of pills rather than alcohol.

I actually like Tiger. He is the best thing to ever happen to modern golf. But he is a mess right now and doesn't deserve to be coddled. The over-the-top reactions from "Tiger haters" is linked to his fans who make excuses for everything. And that's what people are doing, regardless of whether pay lip service to being against DUI in all cases.

And what "bias" would that be?

While I was a fan of Tiger and remain appreciative for all the thrills he brought me/the game of golf, I've made it abundantly clear over the past few months that I do not care/am not going to cheer for him going forward. I'd like to think that I have the ability to separate my former fanaticism of the player from personal struggles that millions of Americans suffer from and one that has affected my life personally with the loss of my friend. I would hope those who have done nothing but denigrated Tiger for the past 20 years and derived perverse glee from his struggles could do the same though I know on both sides of the spectrum there are plenty of people who refuse to do so. Trying to implicate Tiger fans for soliciting these reactions is a ridiculous assertion.

I am not coddling Tiger. I explicitly stated that there is no excuse for DUI. My issue is with the way the media and certain prominent voices in the industry have covered his DUI. To leap to judgement before the facts are known, declare definitively and report on things from sources that aren't credible and run the story with sensationalist hyperbole while covering it without any tact whatsoever is embarrassing. Regardless of his celebrity, he made a major mistake that isn't defendable. But to act as if his life is in shambles to the point where he's driving around and purposefully putting others lives at risk is missing the forest from the trees. We should instead be concerned about what transpired that eventually led to him lacking the judgement to realize that he had no business operating a motor vehicle. If we're going to operate in hypotheses, the fact that he pulled over and had enough sense to realize that something was wrong is more than enough evidence that his reaction to his medication was something he wasn't expecting to occur.

As for my friend, I said the driver that killed him was DUI. Never specified if it was drugs or alcohol. But actually, it was a combination of narcotics and alcohol. I have no desire to dredge up the memories any more than that, I'm sure you understand. And as for having a double standard and judging others differently, I won't speak for others but I take offense to that suggestion personally considering this is something that is very personal to me and again, I'd like to think that regardless of who committed a DUI I would judge them in a similar fashion regardless of my personal interests from a rooting perspective.

Jan 3, 2012
I guess all the 'rock bottom' crowd was right... still think they jumped to conclusions. Hope he can overcome this.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...n-dilaudid-xanax-ambien-thc-system-dui-arrest

Tiger Woods had Vicodin, Dilaudid, Xanax, Ambien and THC in his system when he was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence in May, according to a toxicology report released Monday.

I hate how ESPN reports tox results - hydromorphone is also a metabolite of hydrocodone, doesn't necessarily mean he's taking both Vicodin and Dilaidid, at least without knowing more about the levels, although therapeutic and toxic levels of opiates generally crisscross.

Ambien is hell of drug through, sleep driving is a real thing unfortunately. Between that, the narcotics, and THC, he was possibly on planet feeling ****ing awesome.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I'm convinced Woods was a 'roid user/abuser.

Most who saw his physique in his amateur years to what he is today would make a logical relation in that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad