Confirmed with Link: Tierney re-signs to 2 year deal 2.9375 AAV

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I’m well aware of how arbitration works, thanks. I’m saying that $4M is incredibly insulting even as a low-ball arbitration offer. Usually, the arbiters just split the two sides down the middle, which in this case would mean $5.5M, which is a massive underpay for Trouba. I expected Trouba to ask for ~$8M and the Jets to offer ~$5M.
Well considering both parties put in 1m less than you expected, just maybe you overvalued his worth. To call any arbitration offer "incredibly insulting" doesn't come off as well aware.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Well considering both parties put in 1m less than you expected, just maybe you overvalued his worth. To call any arbitration offer "incredibly insulting" doesn't come off as well aware.
I am going to presume that Jux has a hidden message in this, and that is, if Trouba is insulted by the Jets maybe the Sharks can steal him for less than he’s worth.

Reactions: gaucholoco3

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Love the two year term.

AAV is higher than I would have liked - but given what 3C and 4C have been getting in the last month, it's not too bad of a deal.

Just have to hope the start of last season's form returns, and doesn't tail off like it did. If so, it could be a great deal.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I am getting a kick out of people saying last year was a fluke season without having anything beyond last year (aka, the future) to compare it to. Too much unknown to make that claim

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Or, Winnipeg has a history of undervaluing Trouba and low-balling him and there has been tension between the two sides over contract terms before to the point where Trouba requested a trade.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Wonder if this would make Trouba available...in a dream world putting him with Vlasic and Braun with Dillon would help this team immensely. If not Trouba maybe Faulk.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Wonder if this would make Trouba available...in a dream world putting him with Vlasic and Braun with Dillon would help this team immensely. If not Trouba maybe Faulk.

I really don’t think Faulk fills a need outside of the obvious need for an upgrade on DeMelo on the bottom pairing. Faulk and Vlasic could possibly make a slightly better pairing than Braun and Vlasic, but it’s not going to be good enough. Trouba, on the other hand...adding Trouba without giving up Braun would single handedly turn our defense from middle of the pack to top-5.

LA Shark

Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
I agree Trouba would be better, but imo Faulk would definitely help as well, especially if it meant Braun with Dillon and Demelo as the 7th Dman. Not only would it help 5v5 but the 2nd PP would actually have a dman worthy of touching the ice on the PP.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
I'm not a huge Tierney fan, but this is a good deal for us. And I totally get where he's coming from in that quotation, given that the Sharks gave him a pretty low take-it-and-prove-it offer last summer. I'm definitely in the I-can't-quite-explain-why-but-I'm-still-not-sold-on-Tierney camp, but he put up 40 points last year and has every right to demand compensation for it.

Plus, I think that a top-9 of:

Hertl - Couture - Labanc
Kane - Thornton - Pavelski
Meier - Tierney - Donskoi

is capable of playing above the sum of its parts. Three solid lines, two of which have looked good in the past, and Kane should in theory fit well with the Joes. I don't know, I guess I'm feeling optimistic this morning.

Reactions: Phu

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I really don’t think Faulk fills a need outside of the obvious need for an upgrade on DeMelo on the bottom pairing. Faulk and Vlasic could possibly make a slightly better pairing than Braun and Vlasic, but it’s not going to be good enough. Trouba, on the other hand...adding Trouba without giving up Braun would single handedly turn our defense from middle of the pack to top-5.

Would you or @Juxtaposer clue me in to why we should be so hot to trot over Trouba?

Do not get me wrong, I am not saying I think he is a bad player, or would not be an upgrade on current Braun. It just seems like the idea that he would single handedly make our defense mediocre to top 5 seems like a rather strong opinion. Jux seems pretty high on the kid too.

From my POV I see a young D-man, who has a career high 33 points. Has decent possession stats on a stacked team. Has managed to play one full season in 5 years for whatever reason. Is not super physical, but certainly not a slouch in that department. Plus has already had very public contract disputes twice (if I'm not mistaken), which although is not solely his fault, still sort of turns me off to him a little. He seems sort of slightly above average, not some stud, like it feels you are implying.

What am I missing? Or am I reading your comments as being higher on him than you actually are.

I'm not a huge Tierney fan, but this is a good deal for us. And I totally get where he's coming from in that quotation, given that the Sharks gave him a pretty low take-it-and-prove-it offer last summer. I'm definitely in the I-can't-quite-explain-why-but-I'm-still-not-sold-on-Tierney camp, but he put up 40 points last year and has every right to demand compensation for it.

Hertl - Couture - Labanc

is capable of playing above the sum of its parts. Three solid lines, two of which have looked good in the past, and Kane should in theory fit well with the Joes. I don't know, I guess I'm feeling optimistic this morning.

Yeah our team is no slouch, its just missing that stud player to really help push us over the top. There is hope, if some guys like Hertl, Meier, Labanc can take big steps forward this year. Kane fits like a glove with the Joes and smashes his career high. Along with some sort of resurgence from Thornton because he has had less wear and tear on his body overall last year.

I am not overly optimistic we get to a cup, but I also do not think we have no chance.

I like your lines overall. I just wish Labanc had a better history with Tierney, because he is not going to hang well if Hertl/Cooch are ridden hard as the shut down line again. If Deboer does a better job spreading that responsibility around, then yeah Labanc certainly showed some chemistry with those two offensively, and their possession stats as a line were pretty good.

I still advocate for Hertl to play with the Joes, as I think they need him more then ever, to do the heavy lifting along the boards, that Thornton would have done in the past. Also Hertl has shown his best offensive potential with Thornton, by a country mile, so Hertl benefits big time as well.

That leaves Kane to play with Cooch, and I feel like Labanc might fit better with those two, in a more offensive role, where Labanc can really shine as a playmaker and puck distributor. None of those three play a cycle game, so their styles mesh better than with Hertl, who looks to set up the cycle, while neither of Labanc or Cooch really play strongly along the boards.

So yeah, I like your lines, and actually expect those to be the opening lines, outside of maybe Meier and Labanc swapping, so although I would do things a little differently, I would not be upset if they go with your lines there.

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
latest

So basically our entire offseason is overpaying a bunch of dudes to stay here... brilliant.

One of the most frustrating offseasons yet. God dammit.
Mediorce GM does things.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009

Hertl - Couture - Labanc

Id rather see Miere and Leblanc switched..
But agree with you on the whole..

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Id rather see Miere and Leblanc switched..
But agree with you on the whole..
I am not sure if switching Meier and Labanc is the best because Labanc is more of a playmaker than Meier is. Though ideally I would keep Donskoi on the line and have:

Hertl-Couture-Donskoi
Kane-Jumbo-Pavs
Meier-Tierney-Labanc

That way every line has atleast one playmaker. Donskoi is better defensively than Labanc and has also played very well with Hertl and Couture in the past.

LA Shark

Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
I am not sure if switching Meier and Labanc is the best because Labanc is more of a playmaker than Meier is. Though ideally I would keep Donskoi on the line and have:

Hertl-Couture-Donskoi
Kane-Jumbo-Pavs
Meier-Tierney-Labanc

That way every line has atleast one playmaker. Donskoi is better defensively than Labanc and has also played very well with Hertl and Couture in the past.
I'd switch Donskoi and Labanc personally. I'd love to have Donskoi on that Hert-Couture line, but I dont think Labanc and Tierney should be on the same line. Meier-Tierney-Labanc line was pretty bad last year, while the Donskoi-Tierney-Meier line was good.

Reactions: Maladroit

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The Jets just got Lowry for three years and a few dollars less. Great deal for them.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013

Hertl-Couture-Donskoi
Kane-Jumbo-Pavs
Meier-Tierney-Labanc

How about:

Hertl - Couture - Tierney
Meier - Thornton - LaBanc
Kane - Pavelski - Donskoi

If Tierney fits in up there in a shutdown role, and I think he has the Hockey IQ for that role, the next two lines would be hard for the opponents to match up with..... Worth an experiment in preseason.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
How about:

Hertl - Couture - Tierney
Meier - Thornton - LaBanc
Kane - Pavelski - Donskoi

If Tierney fits in up there in a shutdown role, and I think he has the Hockey IQ for that role, the next two lines would be hard for the opponents to match up with..... Worth an experiment in preseason.

That could work but I doubt they play Pavs as a C as long as Jumbo is around.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Would you or @Juxtaposer clue me in to why we should be so hot to trot over Trouba?

Do not get me wrong, I am not saying I think he is a bad player, or would not be an upgrade on current Braun. It just seems like the idea that he would single handedly make our defense mediocre to top 5 seems like a rather strong opinion. Jux seems pretty high on the kid too.

From my POV I see a young D-man, who has a career high 33 points. Has decent possession stats on a stacked team. Has managed to play one full season in 5 years for whatever reason. Is not super physical, but certainly not a slouch in that department. Plus has already had very public contract disputes twice (if I'm not mistaken), which although is not solely his fault, still sort of turns me off to him a little. He seems sort of slightly above average, not some stud, like it feels you are implying.

What am I missing? Or am I reading your comments as being higher on him than you actually are.

Yeah our team is no slouch, its just missing that stud player to really help push us over the top. There is hope, if some guys like Hertl, Meier, Labanc can take big steps forward this year. Kane fits like a glove with the Joes and smashes his career high. Along with some sort of resurgence from Thornton because he has had less wear and tear on his body overall last year.

I am not overly optimistic we get to a cup, but I also do not think we have no chance.

I like your lines overall. I just wish Labanc had a better history with Tierney, because he is not going to hang well if Hertl/Cooch are ridden hard as the shut down line again. If Deboer does a better job spreading that responsibility around, then yeah Labanc certainly showed some chemistry with those two offensively, and their possession stats as a line were pretty good.

I still advocate for Hertl to play with the Joes, as I think they need him more then ever, to do the heavy lifting along the boards, that Thornton would have done in the past. Also Hertl has shown his best offensive potential with Thornton, by a country mile, so Hertl benefits big time as well.

That leaves Kane to play with Cooch, and I feel like Labanc might fit better with those two, in a more offensive role, where Labanc can really shine as a playmaker and puck distributor. None of those three play a cycle game, so their styles mesh better than with Hertl, who looks to set up the cycle, while neither of Labanc or Cooch really play strongly along the boards.

So yeah, I like your lines, and actually expect those to be the opening lines, outside of maybe Meier and Labanc swapping, so although I would do things a little differently, I would not be upset if they go with your lines there.

Trouba is a 24 year old elite shut-down defenseman. His career high of 33 points isn’t all that sexy, but it has to be taken into context with injuries and the very little amount of time he plays on the power play. Throughout his career, he averages 26 even strength points per 82 games, and over the past two seasons he averages 34 even strength points per 82 games. Everything about him is at elite #1D level besides his PP offense, which is something that we can look past when we have Ryan Merkley and Brent Burns on our team for the next 7 years. He would be a perfect partner for Vlasic at even strength.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Plus acquiring Trouba would help salvage the Vlasic contract which is gonna look like dog**** if he keeps playing with Braun.

Yeah, signing Trouba at $7M/7Y and pairing him with Vlasic for every single second might not be all that bad since that would be $14M for what could still potentially be one of the best defense pairings in the NHL.

Reactions: Sysreq

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Yeah, signing Trouba at $7M/7Y and pairing him with Vlasic for every single second might not be all that bad since that would be $14M for what could still potentially be one of the best defense pairings in the NHL.

Seriously.

Vlasic - Trouba
Ryan - Burns
Dillon - Heed

would be absolutely godly. Mobility, physicality, shutdown ability, and PP weapons abound.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad