Confirmed with Link: Tierney re-signs to 2 year deal 2.9375 AAV

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I highly doubt that they let Pavelski walk.
This. The org and the fans love Pavs. I think people aren't taking into account that DW probably has it planned that 2-3 off the current roster will be traded for something bigger. He loves package deals, whoever the big fish we land is will slide into that capspace. That and if the team wants to ice something competitive, then we need have a certain amount of young studs on cheap contracts and trade some of the good young players before their big raise is due.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
This. The org and the fans love Pavs. I think people aren't taking into account that DW probably has it planned that 2-3 off the current roster will be traded for something bigger. He loves package deals, whoever the big fish we land is will slide into that capspace. That and if the team wants to ice something competitive, then we need have a certain amount of young studs on cheap contracts and trade some of the good young players before their big raise is due.

This is pretty much what I think as well. But I think it is more likely that a deal like that happen before the season starts than at the TDL. Not sure if DW would move 2-3 roster pieces at the TDL and potentially change the team chemistry.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think you make losing Pavs and Donskoi sound way too simple. Sure. It can be done but there is the inherent risk that while waiting on Seguin to decide his destination you end up losing both Pavs and Donskoi and still not landing Seguin.

Would I be ok losing both Pavs and Donskoi for Seguin? Without a doubt. But if I were a GM, I would not put all my eggs in the Seguin basket. Especially after the way the Tavares situation went down.

Well, losing them is simple. It's just letting their contracts expire and not re-signing them. The risk of losing those two and not landing Seguin is there but it's not great. Pavelski probably shouldn't be re-signed regardless. A 34 year old winger who doesn't drive play, isn't an exceptional athlete, and will warrant a multi-year contract in the 6.5-7.5 mil range is a dangerous deal to make. And honestly, I think the team has enough talent coming up on the wings that they can withstand his loss as well as Donskoi's. Meier is probably a top line player. Labanc can probably play with Hertl and Couture on the 2nd line. I think someone like Balcers or Praplan or Gambrell will be ready to step into a 3rd line role either by next season or going into the season after that. But when it comes to Seguin, if it goes down like Tavares, the Sharks should know well ahead of time that they're not really in consideration. You prepare contracts for those you want to keep in that case but don't sign them until you get a definitive no from the player. If Pavs wants to come back, he'll be no different than Thornton was this year. He'll wait. He'll take a pay cut if needed. He'll have a second deal prepared in case that doesn't happen.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

People loved Patrick Marleau and Dan Boyle. So did the organization. They were still allowed to walk if it didn't make sense for DW. I think DW knows he has to be willing to let Pavs walk at this point. He'll bring him back on a contract that makes sense, whatever that is to him, but I don't think he's the top priority anymore. I think that's been made clear at this point.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
This makes me feel even worse about the deal. Faksa and Athanasiou are significantly better players than Tierney. Faksa just turned in a Selke-caliber season and Athanasiou is probably the second fastest skater in the NHL.

Anyway it doesn't really matter as long as Doug finds a way to move Tierney before it becomes obvious he's a 20 point 4C who had a fluke season. Needs to happen by November I think.
And when he has another 40 point season then what will you eat Crow?

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
I think you make losing Pavs and Donskoi sound way too simple. Sure. It can be done but there is the inherent risk that while waiting on Seguin to decide his destination you end up losing both Pavs and Donskoi and still not landing Seguin.

Would I be ok losing both Pavs and Donskoi for Seguin? Without a doubt. But if I were a GM, I would not put all my eggs in the Seguin basket. Especially after the way the Tavares situation went down.[/Q
So re-sign Pavs to a 6mil+ deal???
No thanks...
Play out the year, then see what happens

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley

There it is

source.gif

Reactions: WSS11 and Phu

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Oh nice, even better then I thought he would get both in term and money. Perfect.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
latest

So basically our entire offseason is overpaying a bunch of dudes to stay here... brilliant.

One of the most frustrating offseasons yet. God dammit.

Basically this. It's not that I HATE any of the deals. It's that not one of them seems to be a good deal. Every single one we seemed to pay full value AND we added nothing.

Like many here, I was dreaming of this "big fish," even after we missed on Tavares. But at this point I'd be shocked if we didnt go into the season with this roster, make a small move at the deadline, and flame out in the 1st or 2nd round. I'd also be shocked if that's not our trajectory for the next 5 plus years.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California

Would I be ok losing both Pavs and Donskoi for Seguin? Without a doubt. But if I were a GM, I would not put all my eggs in the Seguin basket. Especially after the way the Tavares situation went down.

Seguin is a pipe dream. Idk, maybe I'm just salty after the Tavares fiasco, but I wouldn't put any eggs into the Seguin basket. First he probably stays in Dallas. Second if he does leave, I'd be shocked if it's to come here.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
The thing is I doubt Pavs and Donskoi are going to be highly sought after during next offseason's open period.

IF (big IF) Seguin's a UFA at that time, DW should absolutely go after him and likely will at that point. If we don't land him, that's that. Move on to re-signing Donskoi and Pavelski (at the right price). I don't see how pursuing Seguin hurts the re-signing of those two.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This is not a terrible deal. Fair-ish money on a short term. Even if it's as much of an overpayment as would be necessary for some of the hotter negative takes here, it's only 2 years. It's not like they re-signed him to a 6x$4m deal.

You're right, good thing that's not Tierney.

Could you imagine if it was Ehrhoff instead? :sarcasm:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
That's how arbitration works, the team initially lowballs the offer. It isn't indicative of how much they really think he's worth.

This.

It's not like MLB arbitration where the award is an either/or decision between the figures submitted by both sides. That restriction means that a baseball team has to provide a stronger, more representative salary figure as their offer in order to have it get serious consideration.

NHL arbitration allows the arbitrator to pick any amount, generally from in between the requested figures of both parties (though I don't believe this is set in stone as necessary), so it makes as much sense for the Jets to come in low at $4m as it would for Trouba's camp to come in equally as high (say, $8-9m) and then the arbitrator can find a middle ground.

It almost makes the NHL setup more like arbitrated/mediated negotiation instead of MLB's mark-your-line-in-the-sand binding decision of whose offer is more "right"

It's even part of the reason you see so few NHL cases actually ultimately rely on the arb process to make the final decision instead of figuring out a reasonable settlement before or just after the hearing.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
That's how arbitration works, the team initially lowballs the offer. It isn't indicative of how much they really think he's worth.

I’m well aware of how arbitration works, thanks. I’m saying that $4M is incredibly insulting even as a low-ball arbitration offer. Usually, the arbiters just split the two sides down the middle, which in this case would mean $5.5M, which is a massive underpay for Trouba. I expected Trouba to ask for ~$8M and the Jets to offer ~$5M.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I’m well aware of how arbitration works, thanks. I’m saying that $4M is incredibly insulting even as a low-ball arbitration offer. Usually, the arbiters just split the two sides down the middle, which in this case would mean $5.5M, which is a massive underpay for Trouba. I expected Trouba to ask for ~$8M and the Jets to offer ~$5M.
$5.5m is probably fair for Trouba especially in consideration to what he has actually done. He's only broken 30 points once and has only played a full season once and most of his advanced stats are fair. I can see why he should be paid like a top pairing d-man cuz that's what he is but the numbers aren't strongly in his favor.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
$5.5m is probably fair for Trouba especially in consideration to what he has actually done. He's only broken 30 points once and has only played a full season once and most of his advanced stats are fair. I can see why he should be paid like a top pairing d-man cuz that's what he is but the numbers aren't strongly in his favor.

I dunno, I personally think very highly of Trouba and it’s just surprising to me that the Jets would offer such a low number for what should be a core player. Trouba is a 25 year old borderline #1 two-way RHD in my eyes. This is not a player you pinch pennies with and risk insulting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad