News Article: Tie goes to the prospect?

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011

Why is Zadina not being called up?

To keep him from being exposed in the Seattle Expansion Draft. If he plays 10 NHL games, this year, he garners 1 year of time on his contract and would be in jeopardy of being lost for nothing

Reactions: Hronek

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
To keep him from being exposed in the Seattle Expansion Draft. If he plays 10 NHL games, this year, he garners 1 year of time on his contract and would be in jeopardy of being lost for nothing

And no doubt what-so-ever Seattle steals him. He's as good as gone. Give Seattle a free #6 pick seems ignorant, irresponsible and straight up unacceptable.

Can't believe people are even suggesting Ken Holland should risk this. Makes no sense. These are the same people who chant "Fire Holland", yet condemn him for not making irreversible mistakes... like giving Zadina to Seattle just so they can watch him in the NHL for 22 more games.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
And no doubt what-so-ever Seattle steals him. He's as good as gone. Give Seattle a free #6 pick seems ignorant, irresponsible and straight up unacceptable.

Can't believe people are even suggesting Ken Holland should risk this. Makes no sense. These are the same people who chant "Fire Holland", yet condemn him for not making irreversible mistakes... like giving Zadina to Seattle just so they can watch him in the NHL for 22 more games.

There is no risk. The team isn't so loaded that they should have a hard decision if he does play enough to be eligible for the expansion draft. They get to protect 7 forwards. They have 4 actually worth protecting other than Zadina.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
There is no risk. The team isn't so loaded that they should have a hard decision if he does play enough to be eligible for the expansion draft. They get to protect 7 forwards. They have 4 actually worth protecting other than Zadina.

Yeah right, I remember the outcry here when the almighty point getter Nosek was taken. I'm not sure if you were one of the "poor asset management" bandwagon, but I suspect many here would be if even Ehn is exposed and selected.

There's zero point in playing Zadin more than his 9 games. None.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah right, I remember the outcry here when the almighty point getter Nosek was taken. I'm not sure if you were one of the "poor asset management" bandwagon, but I suspect many here would be if even Ehn is exposed and selected.

There's zero point in playing Zadin more than his 9 games. None.

It was really funny when "Ken Holland was losing these picks and prospects to kill our future."

Guys like Nosek, Frk (waivers), Pulkkinen (waivers).

And traded Järnkrok and Janmark away for a playoff push.

Those were devastating moves.

How good has Mattias Janmark and Calle Järnkrok been last 3 seasons:

Nyquist 0.63 points per game
Mantha 0.58 points per game
Athanasiou 0.52 points/game
Bertuzzi 0.51 points/game
Tatar 0.51 points/game
Nielsen 0.49 points/game
Järnkrok 0.43 points/game
Janmark 0.38 points per game

Helm 0.37 points per game
Abdelkader 0.36 points per game

Average 3rd liners.

Holland is quite good evaluating talent. Basicly he hasn't lost ever a player from his own hands on a trade, who would anyhow shine on the other team.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
more like average 1st liners

if Abdelkader's worth a $34 million contract and playing on the 1st line and Jarnkrok is a better scorer,better defensively,and capable of playing Center what does that make him?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm fine with keeping Zadina where he belongs to develop. No rush there. And bringing other kids up and down based on performance is logical.

But if I were in that locker room, and listened to "accountability" and "having to be better" being constantly preached...I would be getting frustrated with seeing Abdelkader get such a free pass.

I'm not asking for anything punitive. But nobody should be exempt from the occasional healthy scratch. Send a message that everybody has to bring their A game.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

I don't know that losing Zadina is the direct risk...

If Zadina burned a year this season, there's no way the Wings would leave a 21YO kid taken at 6OA unprotected unless he ends up a complete dumpster fire over the next 2 calendar years. However if they did have to protect Zadina, it means that they would have to potentially leave another decent forward or forward prospect unprotected. Just looking at it now, you'd hypothetically have Larkin, AA, Mantha, Bertuzzi and Rasmussen occupying 5 of their 7 protected forward spots. That leaves two spots open and who knows who else might merit being protected over the next 2 -1/4 years. Svechnikov, Ehn and JDLR could all (hopefully) make strides into being more valuable players worthy of protection, or maybe they've acquired some actual lop line talent via the UFA market that would warrant protecting. Having to protect Zadina would leave them with only one more spot to do so.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

if Abdelkader's worth a $34 million contract and playing on the 1st line and Jarnkrok is a better scorer,better defensively,and capable of playing Center what does that make him?

Plus they're a lot younger and make a lot less money(about half now, even less earlier).

Perfect example of poor asset management, where you ship young players that can make the same job for less. Going with familiarity until the bitter end has set this rebuild back a lot.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

lydman.gif

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
I don't know that losing Zadina is the direct risk...

If Zadina burned a year this season, there's no way the Wings would leave a 21YO kid taken at 6OA unprotected unless he ends up a complete dumpster fire over the next 2 calendar years. However if they did have to protect Zadina, it means that they would have to potentially leave another decent forward or forward prospect unprotected. Just looking at it now, you'd hypothetically have Larkin, AA, Mantha, Bertuzzi and Rasmussen occupying 5 of their 7 protected forward spots. That leaves two spots open and who knows who else might merit being protected over the next 2 -1/4 years. Svechnikov, Ehn and JDLR could all (hopefully) make strides into being more valuable players worthy of protection, or maybe they've acquired some actual lop line talent via the UFA market that would warrant protecting. Having to protect Zadina would leave them with only one more spot to do so.

Nielsen has the elusive (cough, cough) NTC attached to his relatively short (cough, cough) deal which will make him a required protectee (groan).

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Nielsen has the elusive (cough, cough) NTC attached to his relatively short (cough, cough) deal which will make him a required protectee (groan).
I am unsure but doesn't Nielsen have a Modified-NTC now? I thought only players with NMC's have to be protected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad